Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1994
2004/10/05 15:03:04 (permalink)

Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm

I have gotten into the unhealthy Sunday morning habit of driving down Rt 146a across the RI border and to Wrights Dairy Farm (not to be confused with the also famous Wrights chicken farm a few miles away). I listen Little Steven on the radio, pull into the parking lot, smell the cows, and walk into the sort of run down bakery. I take a number and buy a box of the best cream pasty that you will find anyplace. Really fresh and really cheap. I eat half of it on the way home listening to the rest of Little Steven's Underground Garage. They are building a new bakery. I hope the eclairs, chocolate cream cake, carrot cake and the signature strawberry cream cake stay the same. www.wrightsdairyfarm.com Update..the new building has been finished for some time....the baked goods are the same

10 Replies Related Threads

danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2004/10/05 17:18:05 (permalink)
    My arteries started to gum up just reading your description!
    WingLover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2005/12/30 13:47:05 (permalink)
    Mmmm mmmm!

~Jessica
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2005/12/31 15:24:03 (permalink)
    http://www.wrightsdairyfarm.com/cow.htm

I checked out the site, and clicked the cow fun fact link..Never knew that much about cows....
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2006/01/09 13:44:03 (permalink)
    tmiles

I'd be careful who you admit that to. Ruhdielanduhs might not take kindly to M***holes absconding with their pastry.

If it was Allie's donuts, you wouldn't have made it.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2006/01/16 09:51:58 (permalink)
    Mass?

Eclairs are like heroin to me. This I freely admit, although the 12 step eclair program isn't quite working for me at this time.
    tmiles
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2009/06/22 15:00:10 (permalink)
    I've been there twice in the last month. The first was for open house to see the new milking barn, and the second to pick up Father's Day goodies. I thought that Thanksgiving was a big day for them, but FD is huge too. I got there early and got out fairly fast, but they were planning on big sales. My server said that 25 bakers had worked a full shift, and that about 10 were still working to replace fast sellers untill 10AM or so. I would have figured that 5 or 6 bakers was all they had. I remember when it was 2 or 3.  

I picked up some strawrberry shortcake squares, (actually a layer of strawberry jam and a layer of whipped cream between 2 layers of yellow cake with a half inch layer of real whipped cream and a fresh strawberry on top)  some chocolate boats (an eclair shell cut open, filled with choc pudding and with a stripe of cream on top, sort of like a bismark) and some eclairs (very ordinary looking, but very fresh and very good)

They use VERY fresh milk and cream. It gets piped right into to the bakery from the dairy on the other side of the parking lot.

This time of year they use fresh native strawberries. The cream topping is every bit as good as it was on the long johns at the late, lamented, Butlers Donuts.Yum
    post edited by tmiles - 2009/06/22 15:14:38
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2009/06/22 16:28:37 (permalink)
    HERMITS111 i love them--and they FEATURE them!!! Just ordered some too!!!! Thanks for the site!
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2009/06/23 00:03:54 (permalink)
    you got to try their egg-nog around the holidays and their coffee milk is made with whole milk.the best tasting  i had in a long time.
    tmiles
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2009/07/27 16:40:51 (permalink)
    tiki

HERMITS111 i love them--and they FEATURE them!!! Just ordered some too!!!! Thanks for the site!

So how were the hermits? I've never had them, because to me, hermits, even good ones, are not that great. We stopped by yesterday, on the first Sunday after the bakers vacation, so it was very busy as customers came in for a cream fix. They close the bakery for a week every summer, and post it well in advance. The cows and the folks who milk them still have to work that week.

My wife thinks that they should have moved the bakery when they expanded, because you can smell the cows from the parking lot. I don't mind, because I don't think that well cared for cows smell bad. There IS a smell, but I would rather live next to Wright's than a Burger King or steak house.
    tmiles
    RE: Skip the health food go to Wright's Dairy Farm 2014/08/25 14:57:31 (permalink)
    They have torn down the old barn, and are expanding again. My most recent visit was last THURSDAY mid morning. One would think it was not a peak time, but the parking lot was 3/4 full, and the 5 order takers and 2 cashiers were busy.

Most of the plates in the parking lot were RI and FLA (RI folks up for the summer??), but I also saw NY, OH, CA (!) Michigan, among others. Another person in line said that they are now the 4th largest, single location, full service, retail, bakery in the country, that does not have a sit down area or serve coffee. I got a laugh out of the length of her description, but it may be true. She didn't know the top 3.

You can still get close to the cows, but you can no longer pet them. The farm smell in the parking lot was still a little strong for my city raised wife.
    post edited by tmiles - 2014/08/25 15:00:19
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1