Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/04 13:42:29 (permalink)
This conversation made me think of Red's in Maine. Hard to find more of a roadfood/roadside shack kind of place anywhere yet a lobster roll and a drink will eat up all of a $20 bill.  Not taking sides, just saying price alone can't be your yardstick.

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/04 14:42:44 (permalink)
When I'm trying to define Roadfood for people who don't know about it, I say "great food that's part of the local culture". I suspect that this definition can be improved, but this is at least concise and in the ballpark. 

This definition of Roadfood says nothing directly about price, but it implies some strong things. It's pretty clear how a place like Galatoire's fits my definition, since Galatoire's has had years of reputation as one of New Orleans' great restaurants. But it nudges out many of the young expensive restaurants in Pittsburgh, because they attempt to provide pockets of a different culture and don't draw enough mainstream clientele to weave their culture into Pittsburgh's.
RockyF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/04 17:12:50 (permalink)
I notice that when you search the restaurant reviews, you can search by restaurant type (there are over 60 types on the list at the moment), although I don't see in the reviews where the type(s) is/are displayed.  Seems that types could include elements such as "splurge" or "corporate" to indicate to readers price level and/or the fact that this isn't a Mom & Pop place.  I even believe that I remember that in some edition or other of one of the books, there was a category along the lines of "Splurge," but that could be my imagination.
Jay Mallory
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/04 20:02:39 (permalink)
I recall that one edition of the Roadfood book included New York's Four Seasons.  But if they make a case for an experience characteristic and unique to the area, fine.  They should still wave a big red flag, more than just two or three $ signs like typical restaurant reviews.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/04 22:14:20 (permalink)
Jay Mallory

I recall that one edition of the Roadfood book included New York's Four Seasons. 

This is true - it was included in the 1997 edition of Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A.  I think a reasonable case can be made in favor of the Four Seasons, but I think I also recall Michael Stern saying that the publisher of the Eat Your Way books kind of twisted their arms to include pricey restaurants in the cities, which they did against their better judgment.  They may not have been happy about it, but I think they chose very wisely, including those places that were truly of the city in which they were located (the problem with so many great upscale restaurants, from a Roadfood perspective, is that they can be dropped anywhere on the planet without losing any of their appeal, and without changing an item on their menus).
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18387
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/04 22:26:11 (permalink)
For crying out loud, this thing is being beaten to death. The Sterns defined Roadfood. Seems to me that this is Roadfood by any definition other than the one that requires Roadfood to be cheap and served in a falling-down shack filled with rats and roaches. Leave it alone folks.
bucketsoflove
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/14 22:54:48 (permalink)
i love this thread and totally get your point and agree. and i haven't thought of the loveless in a long time so thanks!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood? 2011/01/15 10:20:05 (permalink)
This is the perennial 'what is art' conversation we have here sometimes--I do think it's a great topic, and it will never be done so long as there are more than one of us. :)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1