Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned?

Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2006/03/28 21:27:52 (permalink)

Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned?

I grew up with Skyline Chili in Cincinnati. That means I get periodic cravings for the stuff, They have the frozen stuff at Publix where I live. It's okay, but I have also heard that the canned chili is better. Ordering canned online would be more expensive, but if it tastes better, it would be worth it. I need my Skyline fix! Which is better?????
We have Kahn's hot dogs down here which I cut up to approximate cheese coney size, but it is not the same.
Help me out! It's a 50 mile drive to our nearest Skyline place in Palm Harbor, FL.

16 Replies Related Threads

startrooper00
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/03/28 22:11:15 (permalink)
    I am about an hour away from a Skyline and it is one of the things I miss about living in Cincinnati. I prefer the frozen chili over the can...It seems to be more meaty as the frozen...but the frozen can get very watery. Hope that makes sense.
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/03/28 23:55:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by startrooper00

I am about an hour away from a Skyline and it is one of the things I miss about living in Cincinnati. I prefer the frozen chili over the can...It seems to be more meaty as the frozen...but the frozen can get very watery. Hope that makes sense.

Do you heat your Skyline frozen chili in a pot or in the microwave? I've always used the microwave to heat it. It just isn't the same as the chili parlor stuff.
    Do Skyline restaurants use canned or frozen chili or do they make it fresh?
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/03/30 00:52:45 (permalink)
    My mom has a recipe for Skyline Chili. I've been eating it for about 20 years, but have never eaten at an actual Skyline restaurant.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/03/30 16:23:04 (permalink)
    I live in Huntsville, AL, and can also find the Skyline Chili frozen, but if you have a Kroger's nearby you can find it in the can (along witht he other chili in a can items. I absolutely love Skyline Chili and when I visit relatives in KY/OH my first stop is at Skyline. My favorite is the coney dogs, and then a 5-way order of chili. I get my Skyline Chili fix by buying a can at Krogers, but it is still not the same.
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/03 20:51:35 (permalink)
    I decided to try the canned by ordering 8 - 15 oz. cans from www.cincinnatifavorites.com for $40 plus. I hope it's great. If not it will still be good. Can't hurt. Does everyone else overcook their pasta and used finely shredded mild cheddar cheese?
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/04 10:01:27 (permalink)
    I prefer the frozen.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/04 14:28:07 (permalink)
    If you want your Skyline to be like Skyline you have to overcook the spaghetti and finely grate the mildest cheddar you can find. On the other hand, Skyline did have a "habanero" cheese last month that you could order in place of the mild cheese. It wasn't very hot, but it was better than the usual.
    jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/15 10:39:08 (permalink)
    I feel the canned most closely resembles the dine-in experience in taste and frozen is best at representing the texture. I do the frozen if necessary, but the frozen has an "off " taste that has always been there, but I cannot put my finger on what it is.

I choose the can almost always and also the shelf life of the can far exceeded the freezer burn I have gotten using the frozen chili when stored.

My $.02.
    YMMV!
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/17 21:51:15 (permalink)
    Have never been to the real Skyline, but after reading about it in Roadfood I buy the cans at local Kroger here in TX. Of course I overcook the noodles, I'm from the midwest" />AND I have an almost 3 yr. old underfoot at all times! I need to start shredding the cheese a little finer it sounds like. Oh you lucky OH people! My experience with chili 3-way is from good old Steak N Shake--not like
    skyline I know, but where my basic love for chili and noodles probably originated. So is microwaving the chili not as good as stovetop--just wondering? You all are great.
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/19 08:57:08 (permalink)
    usually when I am making skyline chili dip I use frozen. chili dip is 1 package of cream cheese, 1 package frozen skyline. and 4 oz of cheddar cheese. cook chili, spread cream cheese on bottom of pie pan. pour cooked chili over cream cheese and then top with cheddar. nuke for 30 seconds or so to melt cheese and use tortilla chips to dip mmmm.
    I like how everyone puts you have to over cook the pasta hehe.
    They actually slightly undercook it, then use a mixture of oil, tomato paste and a ton of salt to coat. they usually have the steam table way to hot so it keeps cooking the pasta as it sits. Also they usually cook off all the pasta they gonna use for the day in the morning and if they dont ice it down fast enough it overcooks. So I guess you got to have a good cook to make it perfect. I like the habonaro( wow I cant spell) cheese also. It has a creamier feel then the reg cheddar. Not even remotely hot .
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/04/24 23:51:46 (permalink)
    Baughman--are you local OH? You sound very knowledgeable (hell, I can't spell either). Your dip sounds divine---MUST it be skyline frozen chili--any other substitutions?
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/05/05 15:00:19 (permalink)
    ya I live in cinci. Not sure if it would be good with a thicker chili? Only ever done it with cinci style chili. Only know about it because I was a shift manager several years ago at skyline.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/05/29 10:34:43 (permalink)
    This post needs to be moved out of the FFF and into Chili on the same basis that the thread on Bob Evans smoked sausage was allowed to remain in the sausage forum

This thread is specifically about the grocery store product and not the Skyline chain itself
    wreckless1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/05/31 02:09:14 (permalink)
    The real answer is neither I usually make it myself from scratch or if im feeling lazy I'll use cincinnati chili recipe in a powder package as a starter....trick is don't brown the meat just toss it in the water and cook slowly forever ....way cheaper than either can or frozen.....but if i had to pick i'd kick the can ....and go frozen ........naaa i'd just make it it's too easy and fun to make
    rlindyb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/05/31 22:39:26 (permalink)
    Grew up in Cincy. Dad (76) LOVES anything close to Cincinnati 5way.
    Both cans and frozen (all meat sauce or chili and sgetti) are available at super Wally world. I like to take a couple cans and cook the sgetti in the chili (gasp!) this makes it meatier to me. Use good fine shred cheddar (flavor over originality) with very finely chopped onions, and the larger version of oyster crackers.
    Enjoy.
    Rick Bates
    Cincy expatriate
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Skyline Chili. Which is better, frozen or canned? 2006/06/01 14:45:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

This post needs to be moved out of the FFF and into Chili on the same basis that the thread on Bob Evans smoked sausage was allowed to remain in the sausage forum

This thread is specifically about the grocery store product and not the Skyline chain itself

While I don't agree with the idea of a fast-food-chain-franchise forum in the first place, there's a difference. The thread about the Bob Evans sausage was about a product originally made for commercial sale in markets, that was also served, later on, in restaurants.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1