Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Skyline Restaurant- Vermont

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
  • Roadfood Insider
Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Mon, 03/24/03 2:54 PM (permalink)
We might be heading up to Southeastern Vermontfor a day trip. I haven't seen a review of the Skyline Restaurant on Hogback Mt in Marlboro VT for quite some time. The old roadfood books gave their pancakes great reviews. Does anyone know if their quality has held up over time? Thanks.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
    RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Mon, 03/24/03 3:54 PM (permalink)
    We stopped by for lunch about six years ago. I'm sure we ordered something that was recommended, but we were still quite disappointed. Nice view though, as I recall.

Michael Stern

RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Mon, 03/24/03 4:01 PM (permalink)
      We used to really like that place, but the last time we went -- also 5 or 6 years ago -- we didn't much like what we ate. Maybe it's better again. If you go, please let us know...

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
        RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Mon, 06/9/03 12:47 AM (permalink)
        Nope, sorry, the Skyline is officially so far downhill it's digging for gold. The last time we went (1999 or 2000), it was a weedy little breakfast buffet that wasn't worth half the ridiculous price. I would actually be surprised to find that they're still open!

But never fear, for an even better breakfast is yours! On the same road (Route 9 West, I believe), that would take you up to the Skyline, but much more conveniently located in West Brattleboro, is a place called the Chelsea Royal Diner. It's your basic converted railroad car plus an add-on for additional seating, and their breakfasts are phenomenal, including some fine corned beef hash, what my wife assures me are excellent pancakes and oatmeal, and my personal favorite, what they call a Hunter's Breakfast: eggs, potatoes, toast, and some of pretty much every kind of smoked pork product you could want. It's better than any breakfasts we used to get at the Skyline.

muzzlehatch

• Total Posts: 73
          RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Wed, 06/11/03 9:53 PM (permalink)
          I'll second the Chelsea Royal. Never had anything but breakfast, but the hash and eggs were amazing, and the coffee perfect "diner" style. Nice atmosphere, one of the best diners in the state actually.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
            RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Thu, 06/12/03 7:32 AM (permalink)
            I haven't been to the Chelsea Royal yet but it is a looker of a diner. When I'm heading up that way I usually stay in Bennington and go to the Blue Benn Diner. Great breakfast. I like Bennington because it has the critical ingredients for traveling: Motel within walking distance of town (The Kirkside- nice folks, nice motel) Brewpub, Bookstore, Coffee shop. Also, check out Vern's Fish Fry.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Thu, 06/12/03 7:49 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by RC51Mike

I haven't been to the Chelsea Royal yet but it is a looker of a diner. When I'm heading up that way I usually stay in Bennington and go to the Blue Benn Diner. Great breakfast. I like Bennington because it has the critical ingredients for traveling: Motel within walking distance of town (The Kirkside- nice folks, nice motel) Brewpub, Bookstore, Coffee shop. Also, check out Vern's Fish Fry.

I agree, the Blue Benn is fantastic. I have family in Albany and always go 80 miles out of my way round trip for the blueberry pancakes and corn beef hash!
              My brother who resides in Albany would rather go to IHOP or take out his bisquick mix. He is absolutely convinced that I am certifiable

Also Dot's diner in Wilmington VT comes highly recommended!

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
                RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Thu, 06/12/03 12:47 PM (permalink)
                another good diner is in Bellow's Falls / the Bellow's Falls Diner / converted trolley car with all the wonderful wood and tiles and the food is great

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                  RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Fri, 06/13/03 9:20 AM (permalink)
                  Not a converted trolley car. As I recall, it's a Worcester Diner and I had good pancakes with real maple syrup there.

DinerRat

• Total Posts: 1
                    RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Sun, 06/22/03 3:28 AM (permalink)
                    Wow, new management! Check it out! We were a party of five for lunch. Food was so good we stayed for dinner. Griddlecakes were all-you-can eat, refills brought graciously. One diner said she's never had a better hamburger. I tried one and agreed. The salad greens were great; the tomato was red. We didn't know they were past closing when we ordered dinner, just graciously took our orders and cooked. The waitresses were as nice as could be. Bring binoculars to watch the birds.

Hiram Callahan

• Total Posts: 116
                      RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Fri, 07/11/03 4:39 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by RC51Mike

I second the recommendation of the Kirkside. I've stayed there a number of times, and always been happy with it. One thing though: it really IS kirkside, i.e. right next to a church, so you won't need an alarm clock on Sunday morning. Oh well, the church is beautiful and the bells sound nice. For breakfast, though, instead of the Blue Benn, ask the Kirkside's owner for his recommendation of the other diner in town. We took him up on it last time, had no waiting when we got to the restaurant, and then he walked in while we were having our very good breakfast. Good stuff.

catosaurus

RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Fri, 07/11/03 6:01 PM (permalink)
                        I'm really sorry to hear about the Skyline's decline! I ate a memorable dinner there way back in 1992 (based on the original Roadfood's recommendation): pork chop, butternut squash, and indian pudding. It's been 11 years, but the memory of that meal is still vivid. I can't comment on the view, either, 'cause the mountain was enshrouded in fog that night. I'm lucky I didn't drive off the road!

Mavlily

• Total Posts: 53
                          RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Tue, 07/15/03 3:44 PM (permalink)
                          I also give The Chelsea Royale Diner thumbs up! We have been known to drive two hours from our home in CT just to eat there....it's that good!!

ConnecticutPoet

• Total Posts: 1
                            RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Mon, 10/13/03 1:10 AM (permalink)
                            I recently went to the Skyline Restaurant for the view, which was pretty good. They had a mixed buffet, as they were crossing over from breakfast, which seemed overpriced. My wife got it, and was disappointed. I got the Red Deer Burger, which was so close to tasting like a hamburger that there was nothing special about it at all. For
                            $10, it was overpriced. But all their food seems overpriced at this time of the year. I remember eating there about 9 years ago and it was excellent. They have backslid. I hope they can keep on going, because it would be a shame to let a place like that shut down due to mismanagement.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                              RE: Skyline Restaurant- Vermont Mon, 10/13/03 2:51 PM (permalink)
                              We drove past the Skyline twice just yesterday on Route 9 between Bennington (lunch at the Blue Benn -- not a bad burger at all, and for $3.25, a bargain compared to the Skyline's ripoff burger) and Brattleboro (dinner at our beloved Chelsea Royal -- the meatloaf is excellent, and I had the finest cream of mushroom soup of all time) and they were doing a land-office business. I guess to some people, the view is more important than the food.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com