Skyline, frozen

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2005/10/25 17:13:28 (permalink)

Skyline, frozen

Just discovered that Skyline, in the frozen containers, can be found at Wal-Mart in the frozen food area. Anyone can give it a sample.

Added bonus recipe:

layer of cream chees in bottom of a glass baking dish
layer of Skyline
layer of shredded cheese ( cheddar, etc)

heat enough to melt the cheese and eat with tortilla chips. Excellent tailgate recipe and easy.

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 17:32:06 (permalink)
    I bought a frozen Skyline three-way several years ago, just to try it. I hated it. It didn't taste anything like what you get at Skyline.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 17:42:32 (permalink)
    Sorry, but as this page shows:

http://www.skylinechili.com/skyline_locations_main.php

Skyline Chili has over 100 locations in five states. Please move this topic to the forum reserved for fast food chains. It doesn't belong here with the "real" Roadfood.

Fair's fair.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 18:05:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Skyline Chili has over 100 locations in five states. Please move this topic to the forum reserved for fast food chains. It doesn't belong here with the "real" Roadfood.

Fair's fair.

It would be if Skyline was fast food. But it's not. And, this happens to be about a grocery product.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 18:37:07 (permalink)
    Hm, admittedly it's been a while since I've been in a Skyline parlor, but I sure don't remember anybody in the back whipping up each individual batch of chili as soon as someone ordered it, so I'd surely love to hear why it's not "fast food." Regardless, the company's website refers to themselves as "franchisees," so guess what? It's a franchise. I repeat: to the fast food franchise forum, or else there's no need for that forum to exist.

By the way, you can buy Taco Bell and Boston Market branded products at the grocery store too. So I guess by that logic, those aren't fast food franchises, either! Neat!
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 19:07:42 (permalink)
    Amazing. If all of the "bitching about fast food in some way or another" posts were deleted, this forum would have about six posts per day, and all of those would be by Tarded, er, Tartlett.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 19:13:15 (permalink)
    to LB:

ah, so we're going to start arguing about whether a fast food thread belongs in the fast food forum on the basis of what it's corporate structure is as well?

I guess the admins need to brush up on corporate law in order to properly police the forums, eh?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 19:22:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Hm, admittedly it's been a while since I've been in a Skyline parlor, but I sure don't remember anybody in the back whipping up each individual batch of chili as soon as someone ordered it, so I'd surely love to hear why it's not "fast food." Regardless, the company's website refers to themselves as "franchisees," so guess what? It's a franchise. I repeat: to the fast food franchise forum, or else there's no need for that forum to exist.

By the way, you can buy Taco Bell and Boston Market branded products at the grocery store too. So I guess by that logic, those aren't fast food franchises, either! Neat!

And I don't remember anyone going into Chasens and having anybody in the back whipping up each individual batch of chili as soon as someone ordered it. Are you now going to claim that Chasens was a fast food place?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 19:59:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

to LB:

ah, so we're going to start arguing about whether a fast food thread belongs in the fast food forum on the basis of what it's corporate structure is as well?

I guess the admins need to brush up on corporate law in order to properly police the forums, eh?

Y e s ...
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 22:48:04 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman, as you might have guessed by now, I actually don't care where Skyline is discussed. I just think it's hilarious that it took so little time for the double standard on the part of the thread police to become obvious to all!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/25 22:54:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

And I don't remember anyone going into Chasens and having anybody in the back whipping up each individual batch of chili as soon as someone ordered it. Are you now going to claim that Chasens was a fast food place?

Mr Beef had my italian beef, the one I drove from Cincinnati to Chicago just to have back in mid-august, ready and in my hands about two minutes after I ordered it. Very fast. One might call it -- fast food.

I guess Mr Stern's review of this place has to be deleted.

Sad.

So to clarify - the fact that it is regionally unique cuisine no longer matters, if the food is in your hands quickly?

Oh, and how any seconds is it to the cutoff? Said another way, how long should I wait for the food to be delivered to me before it is no onger fast food?

Enquiring minds need to know.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/26 07:00:20 (permalink)
    All of this drivel reminds me of when I was a kid playing wiffle ball in the backyards with my friends and we spent more time quibbling over petty rules than playing the game. I guess I liked playing wiffle ball enough that I endured the ridiculousness that went with it.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/26 07:41:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Fair's fair.

*sigh*..the price of purity is purists.

Unless I mis-remember, Skyline has been featured in Roadfood books in the past. Yes there are several locations here in Greater Cincinnati. It is also locally founded, locally owned, and locally operated.

This "chain or no chain" conversation is getting really old and really childish, folks. It's one of the reasons my visits and posts to this site have grown fewer over the last year. There's enough anger and tension in the world without people deciding that food is something to snipe about.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/27 00:23:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee

quote:

Fair's fair.

*sigh*..the price of purity is purists.

This "chain or no chain" conversation is getting really old and really childish, folks. It's one of the reasons my visits and posts to this site have grown fewer over the last year. There's enough anger and tension in the world without people deciding that food is something to snipe about.

I agree. I only click on a topic if I have an interest in it or find it intriguing in some way. Seems like a habit that some others ought to try to develop.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/28 15:21:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely try this. I love Skline Chili and the frozen is not so bad.
    SassyGritsAL
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/28 15:24:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely try this. I love Skline Chili and the frozen is not so bad.
    SassyGritsAL
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/28 15:25:32 (permalink)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Skyline, frozen 2005/10/28 15:35:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Just discovered that Skyline, in the frozen containers, can be found at Wal-Mart in the frozen food area. Anyone can give it a sample.

Added bonus recipe:

layer of cream chees in bottom of a glass baking dish
    layer of Skyline
    layer of shredded cheese ( cheddar, etc)

heat enough to melt the cheese and eat with tortilla chips. Excellent tailgate recipe and easy.

Carlton, I was at Walmart today and I searched in the frozen food section for the chili. I was going to do hot dogs for the Atlanta race Sunday and I wanted a Cincy chili to go with them. I could not find the frozen chili. I guess I should have inquired with someone who works at the huge supercenter.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1