Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/07/30 20:23:08 (permalink)
great report BB.
did the guy finish the Homewrecker?
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/07/30 21:56:43 (permalink)
Homewrecker? Looks more like something that would be called the Colonwrecker." />
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/07/31 12:35:38 (permalink)
Sorry, I left while the guy was still eating the Homewrecker, so I don't know if he finished or not.  He definitely didn't do it 12 minutes, that is for sure.  One of the guys from the kitchen kept coming up and checking on him and razzing him for not eating fast enough.  Hillbilly Hot Dogs is a fun place!

Shara-
The root beer at Stewart's was fine, but the root beer at Frostop was world class! 

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/07/31 12:37:51
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/01 12:06:19 (permalink)
Wow, I am so envious, a festival of West Virginia hot dogs!!!!

Im live in Indiana & just last weekend we went to the Frankfort, IN hotdog festival.  Of course, in Indiana if you ask for slaw on a hot dog they look at you like you are from Mars!!!!

However, nothing beats festival & fair food in Indiana in the summer time.  We had great corndogs( freshly dipped in cornbread batter, deep fried very crisp), lemon shake-ups, & the biggest elephant ears I've ever seen, dripping with melted butter & covered with cinnamon sugar. 

unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/01 18:17:52 (permalink)
great report with great pics....thanks
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/03 12:23:52 (permalink)
Even though I did plenty of eating away from the festival while in Huntington, I couldn't go without throwing down at least one dog at the festival itself.  So, I spent time walking from one booth to the other and looking at what they were passing out to customers.  I liked the fact that the Stewart's

booth and the Frostop

booth (with the giant mug of root beer) both looked liked their restaurants.  The booth (actually, it was a cart) with the most appetizing chili (dark and heavy) was Johnny's, but their hot dogs looked so big, it would have been a meal unto itself.  So, I got in line at Sam's Hot Dogs

Here is their chili dog,

with the standard chili, mustard and onion.  The chili was on the mild side and the onions tasted nice and fresh.  But at this point, I was used to eating slaw dogs and I missed not having cole slaw.  I wish I had tried the Johnny's Dogs.

Also on Saturday, we stopped at Hazelett's Triple H Drive Inn.

This place was quite a bit outside of town and we were wondering if the GPS was taking us in the wrong direction.  As soon as we pulled in, a teenage girl came out to take our order.  But since they had indoor seating, we waved her off and went inside to order.  Doug had an order of fine, crunchy onion rings

and a regular chili dog.  But, that means he missed the best part of the hot dogs here, because the slaw on my slaw dogs

was especially fresh, creamy and had a little extra tang to it.  This may have been my favorite slaw of the day and it worked really well with the other toppings on my slaw dog.  My pork bbq sandwich was dry and a disappointment.  The service here was friendly, but slow and after waiting for a good while, I gave up on getting a refill on my iced tea.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/08/03 12:27:56
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/03 13:14:18 (permalink)
Slaw is the balm that makes all the piggies taste their best.  :)
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/03 13:30:04 (permalink)
Stewie looks like he's been on a 7 day meth binge.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/03 13:30:07 (permalink)
On the way home on Sunday, I made one last slaw dog stop at the Custard Stand,

in the little town of Webster Springs, WV.  Went through some serious back roads to get here on a wet, rainy day, but it was worth it.  Located on a big bend in the road on a hill above town,

it feels a million miles away from everything. 

Here is the menu posted on a window.

I have to admit, menus like this drive me crazy.  Part of it is printed, while a much bigger portion of it is hand written in.  Besides just looking bad, it can be very hard to read.  Okay, enough about that.  I ordered two dogs, one with everything,

which is ketchup, mustard, relish, chili, onions and slaw.    This was just too much toppings on one dog and the toppings did not work together well at all.  The relish seemed to overwhelm everything else.  The other dog, (in the background)

with chili, mustard, onion and slaw, was much more to my liking.  The powerful chili (away from the relish) was the highlight of this dog. I washed it all down with a thick butterscotch milkshake.

There is now a second Custard Stand much closer to I-79.

[link=http://www.custardstand.com/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/a%3E]http://www.custardstand.c...%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/a%3E[/link]

Thanks again to everyone for reading my trip report! 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/08/03 13:34:48
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/03 13:38:23 (permalink)
BB, I can't begin to tell you how many times I've passed Hazelett's Triple H Drive-In over the years ( on WV 152 in Lavalette, my regular route to NC ) without ever once thinking about stopping there to eat. Apparently I've been missing out on something; the dogs look really good. Unfortunately, when I pass through Lavalette next month, it'll be at breakfast time, but the next time that I'm through in the afternoon, the Triple H will definitely be on my itinerary. Great photos, as usual. 
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Slaw Dogs & WV Hot Dog Festival 2009/08/03 13:53:36 (permalink)
enginecapt

Stewie looks like he's been on a 7 day meth binge.

This REALLY made me laugh!

Great report BB...looks like a fun place to be.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1