The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Slaw dogs

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 1:15 PM (permalink)
Tasty Dogs

I have a bunch of those Franks Kraut packets. If I kept a couple in my steam pan, would that work? And is it cheesy to charge extra for kraut? I'd rather say I don't carry it than add that much cost to a dog. Am adding two 1/6 pans for nacho cheese and chili, so don't have room for bulk kraut. Also, What is the best cheese and chili to buy at Sam's or Costco? I'm a little off the slaw question, but this is close.

Jerry
Tasty Dogs

Sam's brand Aged Cheddar Cheese Sauce is a good product.  Sam's offers a hot dog sauce in a bag but it is usually only available through their catalog.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
    Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 2:47 PM (permalink)
    BillyB

this is a "Detroit coney Island dog" Give me Cheap any day of the week, I'll take it, extra onions please...............I hired a Chef friday and the first thing I told him was, our menu is designed to meet the needs and wants of our customers. I design a menu and then retool it to fit the requests and needs of my customers, the menu is never what I want.
      The thing I like about offering Chili is, it opens the menu to a few different items, in your case you could offer a, Chilidog, Chili Cheese dog, Chili slaw dog.............Billyb

I have never known Detroit to ever use a cheap dog. Always top quality either a Koegel or Dearborn Sausage. Natural casing is the norm....Russ

By the way if anyone serves a Hot Dog like the one pictured they will succeed.

If You Don't Listen To Your Customers .....Someone Else Will!

<message edited by Russ Jackson on Mon, 07/5/10 2:49 PM>

georgiadogs

• Total Posts: 362
      Re:Slaw dogs Tue, 07/6/10 4:47 PM (permalink)
      The way we do our slaw is to finely chop cabbage in a blender, squeeze out the water then add a little mayo for creamy wetness and salt and pepper to taste. We go through abput 6 cabbages a week. We do have alot of people that will add chili under the slaw but we don't use any kind of sauce underneath, but I will fix it anyway the customer wants it.

runswithbeer

• Total Posts: 11
        Re:Slaw dogs Tue, 07/6/10 5:17 PM (permalink)
        georgiadogs

The way we do our slaw is to finely chop cabbage in a blender, squeeze out the water then add a little mayo for creamy wetness and salt and pepper to taste. We go through abput 6 cabbages a week. We do have alot of people that will add chili under the slaw but we don't use any kind of sauce underneath, but I will fix it anyway the customer wants it.

I believe they are calling chili, sauce.
        Me, I would be different, nothing but ketchup. Only thing you could get with your dog.

But it is after the holidays and things will return to normal. Sightings of Michael Jackson working at a 7-11 in North Dakota and
        people seeing Elvis and Roy Orbison riding in a Limo.
        Pass the relish.

mikotron

• Total Posts: 16
          Re:Slaw dogs Thu, 07/8/10 11:05 AM (permalink)
          Curbside Grill

Give me a dog with sweet potato mustard and Bleu cheese slaw any day.

What's Bleu Cheese slaw?

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
            Re:Slaw dogs Thu, 07/8/10 12:21 PM (permalink)
            IMHO, put a spicy/tangy slaw on a plain dog, put a mild slaw on a spicy/hot chilidog........I don't think a mayo based plain tasting slaw, will do anything for a plain dog..............BillyB

bdtn

• Total Posts: 98
              Re:Slaw dogs Thu, 07/8/10 2:31 PM (permalink)
              firat  chili slaw dog i had was in atlanta i thougt my  first cook was playing a joke on me. it was delicious. the slaw was like a kfc chopped slaw.
              i have been eating them ever since then about 25 years it used to be only in the south now you see them every where.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1931
                Re:Slaw dogs Thu, 07/8/10 5:31 PM (permalink)
                In much of the South, and certainly Tennessee, there are chili dogs, slaw dogs, and chili slaw dogs.  I love all three.  The perfect slaw, in my view, is that which is served at The Varsity; very similar to KFC slaw, only a little less sweet (thankfully).  Hopefully, there are no beans in hot dog chili.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                  Re:Slaw dogs Thu, 07/8/10 6:42 PM (permalink)
                  The first slaw dog I never had was in Franklin NC and I was 5 years old.  My Dad ordered a "Plain hot dog" for me.  What I got was a plain hot dog... with chili and coleslaw on it. The no mayo, vinegar based variety... that's not coleslaw to me now and it certainly wasn't when I was 5... which I had no intention of eating.  After 15 minutes of "that's a plain hot dog", "No it's not", my Dad told the idiot that if he couldn't put a hot dog on a bun with nothing else and give it to me, my Dad would "help" him.  Did I mention I was my father's favourite?

You know, that might be part of the reason David & I are so particular about customers getting their food the way they want it, especially kids.  I never got any sandwich prepared the way I wanted it (hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ) but always the way the restaurant gave it to me.  I hated eating in restaurants for many years.  When David met me and we were dating, he ran into my problem with restaurants and food "my way".  He got real tired of going back to BK (and lots of other burger joints) because I ordered a "cheese burger with only ketchup on it".  Somehow they could never get it right in less than 3 tries (sometimes the 4th try was right but it usually was the 5th or 6th).

Now I just get really bitchy about it (after being nice on the first mistake). And if it's too big of a deal... we just never go back to that restaurant. I understand making a mistake once but to repeatedly have to remake the same meal shows a lack of professionalism on the part of the restaurant and it's staff.  If they are that pitiful in filling an order, where else are they slacking?
                  <message edited by lornaschinske on Thu, 07/8/10 6:45 PM>

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                    Re:Slaw dogs Fri, 07/9/10 5:33 AM (permalink)
                    GGGEEEZZZZ Lorna I knew you were a hand full, but I didn't know it started at birth,..............never had a slaw dog, and proud of it......Billyb

djtomatoe

• Total Posts: 197
                      Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 12/16/12 12:55 PM (permalink)
                      i make my slaw and serve it on dogs topped with bbq sauce..great seller.
                      sauces don't cheapen your dog.....they ad dimension.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                        Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 12/17/12 1:08 AM (permalink)
                        mikotron

Curbside Grill

Give me a dog with sweet potato mustard and Bleu cheese slaw any day.

What's Bleu Cheese slaw?

Coleslaw made with Blue Cheese Dressing instead of Mayo.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com