"Sleepers" in NYC

Author
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
2003/12/15 09:45:34 (permalink)

"Sleepers" in NYC

Checked all the previous threads for NYC, as well as the Zagat survey, but I guess I'm looking for something perhaps a bit too particular.
Taking my mother to NYC for a matinee Xmas weekend. Looking for a post-theater dining experience that is "special". A lot of the Zagat recomendations sound a bit too "glizty" (my mom HATES places like that). We don't want to "see and be seen". We like to read menus without an interpretor. We want a good simple meal, pleasant service, a cozy atmosphere. Any suggestions?

5 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: "Sleepers" in NYC 2003/12/15 09:51:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by booboobirdie

Checked all the previous threads for NYC, as well as the Zagat survey, but I guess I'm looking for something perhaps a bit too particular.
    Taking my mother to NYC for a matinee Xmas weekend. Looking for a post-theater dining experience that is "special". A lot of the Zagat recomendations sound a bit too "glizty" (my mom HATES places like that). We don't want to "see and be seen". We like to read menus without an interpretor. We want a good simple meal, pleasant service, a cozy atmosphere. Any suggestions?

How about Aquavit on nearby West 54th Street (see: http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/dining/venue.adp?vid=9674)? It's different. Not too glitzy. You don't necessarily neer an interpretor (but you might want one to avoid the lutefisk sorbet [just kidding]). And it's a unique dining experience in NYC.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: "Sleepers" in NYC 2003/12/15 09:59:33 (permalink)
    i95....thank you. I have been there, and agree that it is a wonderful experience. My mom, however, is about as "plain" as they come. I certainly don't mean that in a bad way, but she likes VERY simple food.
    Geez, thinking about most of the meals I've had in NYC, I'm starting to wonder if we should just hop on the next train home after the show and I could make her a nice meatloaf!!
    baybey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: "Sleepers" in NYC 2003/12/15 10:09:49 (permalink)
    You might try Da Marino on 49th between 8th and Broadway. It's right in the heart of the theater district(2 doors down from NINE) and has all the attributes you are looking for. It's no nonsense Italian with a cozy room and very non-pretentious service. In addition it is relatively inexpensive for that area.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: "Sleepers" in NYC 2003/12/15 10:58:19 (permalink)
    Rachel's is also worth considering. It's a pleasant, low key American restaurant based on 9th Avenue between 43rd and 44th streets. Very cozy, very nice, even if it's a little bit of a walk.

I'll put it this way: my mom sounds like your mom, and I'd be willing to take her there. At the end of the meal, my mom would probably say it was "nice," which is the best I could hope for.
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: "Sleepers" in NYC 2003/12/15 11:23:45 (permalink)
    A recent simple favorite of mine in the Theater District is La Locanda dei Vini on Ninth between 49th and 50th. It's homey, yummy and quite reaswonable for Midtown. Here's a review: http://www.nextmagazine.net/restaurants/lalocanda.shtml .

If you're willing to go a little ways away from Midtown, Danal on East 10th Street is wonderful, cozy, and, if a bit Euro, thoroughly unpretentious.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1