Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/01/19 14:37:06 (permalink)
Good catch! I've corrected it.
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/01/19 14:40:47 (permalink)
The page looks very nice. It was a little difficult to see the writing on the buttons on the left side of the home page until I ran my cursor over them.

Your menu looks very nice and very resonable. You are giving one heck of a bargain or you have it mispriced.

I wish you best of luck with it.

John
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/01/19 14:49:03 (permalink)
quote:
You are giving one heck of a bargain or you have it mispriced

I have it mispriced, but only so I can do do business in this small town. Funny, but people will pay more in the larger cities than they will here.
Choco Latte
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/01/19 14:50:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

Good catch! I've corrected it.
Thanks! Glad I could help.
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/05 16:32:34 (permalink)
Hello All,
Slick, I just wanted to compliment you on your finished website. It looks great and provides all the
information I would want when I check out restaurant sites. I love the specials and also how you offer
to allow people to bring in birds and you do the work for them.
My brother lives in Granberry, Texas, (don't know how far that is from you) but if I ever get out to visit
him, I will visit your restaurant.
Again, great site. Have you gotten yourself registered as a link with the Texas tourist board?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15245
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/05 17:27:14 (permalink)
Slick,
I just wandered thru your site from end to end. You have a really well-organized site. It has me thinking BRISKET !! It represents your business very well. We look forward to making a stop on the next Texas RoadTrip we make (this coming Fall). Maybe we'll be able to get Bushie to join us there.
AL
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/05 19:08:13 (permalink)
Thanks, Fieldthistle. I appreciated the compliment and Grandbury is a little over a 100 miles. However, I do hope you can make it one day. Never thought of registering with any tourist boad. I'll look into that.

Thanks, Al. Would love for ya'll to join us. I know Bushie is about 4 hours away so he'd be pretty hungry when he got here. And I also appreciate the compliment from you as well. Just let me know a couple of days before you get here so I can stock up and have plenty.
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/05 22:16:27 (permalink)
I think your site is fantastic. I especially like your gallery, the pics of the food, and folks. Everything looked yummy, especially your chicken salad.

My daughter is stationed at Ft. Hood, in Killeen TX, so if I ever get back to that Lone Star State, I may just drop in.

Blessings to you and yours, and continued well-deserved success.
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/06 08:51:07 (permalink)
man, i made this long posting for ya, and i lost it....'puter probs.

i will try again, but less chatter.
great site, slick!
i have a few ideas for ya, restaurant owner to restaurant owner...

1. specials. i think you should be more creative with them. use them to your advantage. one night, offer a free dessert to couples who order a certain entre. another night, offer a free kids meal for drawing in families... another night maybe do a special entre to entice the regulars, stuff like that.
2. desserts. how about some cakes, and different pies. make sure your desserts are 20-25% food cost...include the ice cream with the price. also the cheese on the burger. add a quarter in the beginning, and dont charge for cheese( thats cheesey...heehee)
.3 club sandwich .. the one pictured is not a club. it has only two pieces of bread. add a slice, or drop the word 'club'
once again, great site, slick!
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/06 11:41:23 (permalink)
Thanks, folks.
quote:
1. specials. i think you should be more creative with them. use them to your advantage. one night, offer a free dessert to couples who order a certain entre. another night, offer a free kids meal for drawing in families... another night maybe do a special entre to entice the regulars, stuff like that.

I just went through all that. I started opening on Wed and Thurs nights almost 2 months ago and was doing specials to try and serve something that you don't find around here. Fell on its face big time. Grilled shrimp was the only thing that sold and you almost had to give that away.

People would tell you straight out they they came for X and that was what they were going to have.

quote:
2. desserts. how about some cakes, and different pies. make sure your desserts are 20-25% food cost...include the ice cream with the price. also the cheese on the burger. add a quarter in the beginning, and dont charge for cheese( thats cheesey...heehee)

I sold only cobblers for a long time and just now ventured into the pie market. Cobblers are probably a 50% food cost item, but the market won't allow me to charge more. But, when I introduced the two pies I'm now selling my profit margin jumped 175% on one and 210% on the other. Kinda makes up for it all I think.

quote:
3 club sandwich .. the one pictured is not a club. it has only two pieces of bread. add a slice, or drop the word 'club'

Yep, I know it not a club sandwich. If you noticed I use Texas Toast on this sandwich. I started out using the three pieces, but soon got complaints that it was too large to eat. I'd find the middle piece of toast taken out and pushed to the side on most of the ones I'd sell. So, I decided to save the toast for another 'club' sandwich and just never renamed it. Now, too many customers know how to order it so it doesn't get confused with our regular ham or turkey, or the deli ham or turkey.

nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/06 11:44:13 (permalink)
Bass,

I learned a long time ago that if I'm making a long post to always write it in Notepad, then C&P to the text box. Saves the frustration of it all.
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 07:30:57 (permalink)
thanks for the tip. sounds like you got all the bases covered. site looks great. have a good one!
mrf326
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 08:50:52 (permalink)
I think you need to kill the gallery and integrate the images with the menus. That way people can salivate over the food and see what a discount it is. Make sure you take good photos - after taste, it is the look of food that attracts and sells. Just my 2 cents.

Murph
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 13:44:23 (permalink)
I like it a lot better than the original one. It's looking real nice, easier to read, and the food photo's are great, along with the commentaries with them.
Glad you took that coca-cola background off.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 13:47:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bassrocker4u2
[br3 club sandwich .. the one pictured is not a club. it has only two pieces of bread. add a slice, or drop the word 'club'
once again, great site, slick!

Yah, but he is using Texas Toast, and if he did 3 slices, that would be way too big.
I think as long as he has the ingredients, he should keep using the Texas Toast, as it fits in with the "Q" menu items. Why buy other bread?
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 13:53:16 (permalink)
Hi,
I don't know about all the computer things, But I am sure getting hungry looking at it! Good job.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 15:02:20 (permalink)
Slick,

I need one of those Poorboy sandwiches, and I mean now... damn it sounds good. And that chicken at the bottom of the specials page looked pretty good too.

Dennis, starving in Cary
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/08 16:47:38 (permalink)
quote:
And that chicken at the bottom of the specials page looked pretty good too.

Would believe that's a deep fried turkey?
Big Butt BBQ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/09 09:08:01 (permalink)
Slick,

Site looks great and the pictures are mouth watering.

The grill menu has one typo.
Buffalo Tenders chose mild, hot or nuclear meltdown $6.75

Chose should be choose.

Ed

nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/09 09:44:56 (permalink)
Thanks Ed. If I ever get my computer back that has the web site's program on it, I'll correct it. Until then, I'm afraid I'm stuck with the way it is.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/09 13:22:29 (permalink)
I like the way you did up the gallerys! Nothing like food pics to get one hungry...
Cornbread
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/15 16:57:57 (permalink)
Slick,
After drooling at your site I think I am going to have to take a trip to your place and order one of everything!!!! The Club Sandwich looks awesome.

I thought the pictures where great and really represented the down home feel of your restaurant especially the ones with your local customers being featured. I wouldn't change a thing.

Great Job!!!!!!!
mvanpatten
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/15 19:57:04 (permalink)
Loose the background. It does nothing but slow down the load and make the page hard to read.
Look at it this way: would you put a busy background like this on your menu?
Make sure you are asking people with dial-up to test your site too.

Is Coke paying for having their logo on the page? If not, ditch it.

That solves the problem of the white text boxes too.

Biggest question is: once you have built it, will they come? (to the site?) How will you promote your website? Google adwords is a very effective program. If you use google you've seen them. What is effective is you only pay if people click on the ad, and you can set your own daily budget. adwords.google.com

Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/15 21:16:31 (permalink)
Slick,

Good job on the web site. It is better than most I have seen.

I would mention something about beverages. Maybe you are in a dry area but visitors would like to know if it is beer/wine or full bar or non-alcoholic only.

Cakes

Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/15 22:12:59 (permalink)
My .02,

I think the wood grain background can be a lot more subtle, it would help with softening the look. I have to vote thumbs down on having a coke background on top of the wood grain background-just too busy. You have Coke table cloths in some of your photos already.I think you should lose the white blocks behind the text under the photos an just use a bolder font.Also all your photos are different sizes, try to line them up so they are symetrical.The prices listed are a jumble, not lined up very well, that's a bit irritating. I'm viewing with Firefox browser.

The photos are not too bad.The food photos could be cropped tighter so just the food shows and not the table, plate, etc. Just look in a food mag and see how food is photographed. Another food photo trick is to light the food from behind and not direct flash from the front. It makes the food more appealing.

The red text was very hard to read. I have DSL and I thought some of the load times were a bit much. Remember you only need 72 dpi photos for a web page, any more and you are just increasing load times.

I hope you take these comments in the spirit they are given, just trying to help improve the look and feel of your web site.

Good luck!
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/16 09:52:42 (permalink)
Guys, I appreciate the comments but the site is sick right now. After reloading the program on my new hard drive and reloading the saved files, things got real wonky after I first tried to make a couple of changes. The prices being all over the place is a product of that. So, I'm having to rebuild the site from the ground up.

The food photos I am limited on because I have only one digital, so it's kinda that or nothing. I intentionally made some of them different sizes because I didn't want the sterile look some sites have. Ya know, everything perfect. I was thinking of looking at our family albums where photos are different sizes.

I'll take the suggestions in the spirt they were given and will think about them. I think most sites are a constant work in progress. Mine sure is.

Thanks!
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/22 19:16:17 (permalink)
The site is back with some new and old looks. I think I actually listened to a few of you this time.

www.bbqcorner.net
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/23 22:40:38 (permalink)
Great lookin site Slick. Easy to navigate. Nice and straightforward. All that hard work really looks to have paid off.
The food pics in the galleries are *fantastic* ... the brisket and the catfish and the ribs would all be on my very first order.

Folks like lots of pictures and those are some fine lookin ones.

One idea. I see the chopped beef sandwich is a house favorite ... but the photo of it doesn't do it justice. You might want to retake that photo. I'd set the top bun half-on/half-off the sandwich and then move in closer and just slightly from above, and retake that shot.

nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: Slick's Website Needs Beta Testers 2006/03/24 09:01:25 (permalink)
Yep, I'm not really happy with it, either. I'll be doing as you suggested. Thanks, Sonny!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1