Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
2009/12/20 10:02:50 (permalink)

Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago

Does anyone remember Sloppy Louie's on South Street in NYC?  This was posted to a Yahoo! group and the link is posted here with permission of Rick Jack, the original photographer.

Though it was not taken with a Spotmatic I think some may find it interesting.
It was one of my first images taken with a 35mm f4 Pre-set Minolta lens and
Plus-X film.
http://www.pbase.com/image/120404210
thanks for looking & happy holidays!
Rick

I wonder what the M-B roadster would be worth today!

Brad

13 Replies Related Threads

cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/20 11:53:58 (permalink)
    I fondly remember Sloppy Louie's from the pre-South Street Seaport days! There used to be a place in the old terminal that sold beer to go in Deli potato salad containers that we'd bring into Louie's to wash down the seafood.

The MB looks like it's in the traditional British Racing Green...brings back fond memories of my old MG Midget.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/20 12:34:50 (permalink)
    In the '40s our union hiring hall was on Beaver Street, just a few short blocks from Sloppy Louis'. So we often went there for lunch while we were hanging around the Union hall waiting for a ship. I was young and not much interested in food ( I did have a healthy 20 somethings appetite for women, jazz, cars and alcohol - in that order), but  think I was first introduced to mussels in Louis' - served in  a spicy hot tomato sauce, and I vaguely remember an oyster stew...

BTW: I was once the proud owner of a disabled MG/TC. I bought it with a blown engine for $50 and it sat in my backyard for over a year - unrepaired. I sold it to a local motorhead  for $50 and he had it on the road within a couple of weeks - being a nice guy he once let me drive it for a couple of miles...

Cheers, John  
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/20 13:39:11 (permalink)
    The first time I left Univac, the guys took me to lunch there.  My father was a fan of Sweets which was around the corner so I've been there a few more times.  Sad that they are both gone.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/20 20:54:45 (permalink)
    I am ashamed to admit that I cannot remember Sweets, but I can hardly imagine that I never had a lunch there - it being so close to Louis'. There was a joint on South Street, right across from the fish market, where we would sometimes stop for a quick beer. It was on a corner, in fact it had a corner entrance, but what I remember was that the bar rail (the one you rest your foot on) was heated  - which made it a nice stop on a cold day . Anyone got any idea of a name for that joint? 

Cheers, John 
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/20 23:31:31 (permalink)
    My dad was a seafarer as well, a captain for Isthmian Lines.

http://www.southstreetsea...rg/index1.aspx?BD=9149

The 3rd paragraph has a reference to Sweets.  It passed not that long ago (I'm an old guy, 17 year is like yesterday).  A real shame.
    post edited by kozel - 2009/12/20 23:34:36
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 07:45:49 (permalink)
    John:

Here's a link to a forgotten-ny page on the seaport.

http://www.forgotten-ny.c...ttentour22/tour22.html

Could the corner place you remember be the Bridge Cafe or Carmines?  I think Billyboy recently reviewed Carmine's.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1595
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 10:10:09 (permalink)
    I'm also thinking the place John is referring to is Carmine's. Coincidentally I was just in there for a drink with a co-worker the other day. I don't recall if the bar rail is heated, but it's still there. 

<<There used to be a place in the old terminal that sold beer to go in Deli potato salad containers that we'd bring into Louie's to wash down the seafood. >>

That was probably Jeremy's Ale House. Before the Seaport was "Roused Up" in the 70's they sold beer in quart containers real cheap. We'd get the containers then head over to the weekly Bluegrass concerts on Pier 17 (I think that was the number).

Jeremy's is still in business, in another location in the seaport area. Still relatively cheap beer and now mostly caters to after work loud yuppie types (which I no longer am...).
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 10:32:13 (permalink)
    We once made a trip (on an Isthmian ship - the Steel Navigator, I think) , unusual for an American merchant ship, around the world - west thru the Panama Canal and west again thru the Suez Canal - a little over three months with stops in Hawaii,  The Philippnes, Hong Cong, Penang, Calcutta, and Ceylon.

Isthmian ( wholly owned subsidiary of USSteel)  was a good company - the ships were well maintained and well run. And at that time ('50s) the whole world was in desperate need of American steel products.

And thanks for the tip on Carmine's - that seems like it could be the place.

Cheers, John 
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 15:46:02 (permalink)
    ken8038 Jeremy's is still in business, in another location in the seaport area. Still relatively cheap beer and now mostly caters to after work loud yuppie types (which I no longer am...).

Jeremy's only moved across the street.  Did you ever lose your tie or bra there?

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 15:54:42 (permalink)
    seafarer john

We once made a trip (on an Isthmian ship - the Steel Navigator, I think) , unusual for an American merchant ship, around the world - west thru the Panama Canal and west again thru the Suez Canal - a little over three months with stops in Hawaii,  The Philippnes, Hong Cong, Penang, Calcutta, and Ceylon.

Isthmian ( wholly owned subsidiary of USSteel)  was a good company - the ships were well maintained and well run. And at that time ('50s) the whole world was in desperate need of American steel products.

And thanks for the tip on Carmine's - that seems like it could be the place.

Cheers, John 

Between my brother, another captain's son and I, we maintain...
    http://www.isthmianlines.com
    http://www.statesmarinelines.com
    and a forum at ...
    http://s14.invisionfree.com/SMILforum/index.php

As one who has sailed for Isthmian, please register at the forum and participate there as well.  Dad sailed during the war but ran the Brooklyn facility (Erie Basin) until they closed in the early 70's.  I sailed as an ordinary on a Sealand ship (SS Boston) in 1969 on a trip from Port Newark to Baltimore, Rotterdam, Bremen, Grangemouth, Felixstowe and back.

here's a link to our page on the Steel Navigator

http://www.isthmianlines...sm_steel_navigator.html

post edited by kozel - 2009/12/21 16:06:05
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 21:18:48 (permalink)
    Though I've never been to this area nor was even not familiar with it. This is a good enjoyable topic.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/21 21:46:54 (permalink)
    Went to Sweets once when I lived in NYC.  My girlfriend's, girl friend's, Australian boyfriend insisted on going there.

Which makes me wonder about the extent of foreign Roadfooders Roadfooding in the US. 

I learned about the SF Chinatown Dim Sum place, down the alley, across from the playground, down the stairs, that used to have Miss Chinatown posters going back to the early 1900's from a friend's French roadfooding cousin.

Ono Foods in Honolulu has been full of European and Japanese Roodfooders when I've been there.

Maybe this is a subject for a separate heading?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sloppy Louie's, 41 years ago 2009/12/22 10:47:44 (permalink)
    I worked as electrician on the Seatrain Texas in the Summer of 1958 - making three trips from Edgewater NJ to Texas City, TX before returning to college for the Fall semester. We carried mostly empty gondolas south and gondolas fully loaded with gypsum north (to be made into wallboard at a plant in Rockland County, NY.).  That company was the pioneer in containerized shipping - starting sometime in the '30s they carried loaded rail cars to Cuba and later to Puerto Rico. In fact, in the Summer of '58 they were refitting their dock in Edgewater for handling what we now know as the  ubiquitous steel shippng containers in which everything is carried. 

There was a brass plaque  on a bulkhead in Seatrain Texas with something about delivering tanks to Egypt in WW11 thus preventing a German invasion of that country.

Cheers, John  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1