Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2011/12/31 17:38:20 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

JRPfeff

Metro-Jim,

We didn't cock the buns, they came from the kitchen that way.  I think they've been watching FoodTV.

We ordered the Big-Smash half-pound patties and split the two burgers three ways.  The meat was hanging over the side of the buns and was outstanding.  The toppings complimented the burger and did not overpower it.  My family was sold on their first bites.

Desert-Jim

Glad you enjoyed!

Your pics also depicted well the carmelized crust on the burger that both seals in the juices and adds a nice textural note.

As we eat with all our senses, including sight, presentation is a very important element in gustatory enjoyment.  I wish Five Guys would take a lesson.

Best regards from the Metroplex where "freezin' season" (remember last year's Super Bowl) is about to be upon us.  Enjoy the desert at this time when your locals describe the weather as "magical".

It was 75 degrees and sunny here today. I worked up a sweat raking leaves and cutting the grass!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4117
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2012/01/01 09:21:08 (permalink)
Foodbme

MetroplexJim

JRPfeff

Metro-Jim,

We didn't cock the buns, they came from the kitchen that way.  I think they've been watching FoodTV.

We ordered the Big-Smash half-pound patties and split the two burgers three ways.  The meat was hanging over the side of the buns and was outstanding.  The toppings complimented the burger and did not overpower it.  My family was sold on their first bites.

Desert-Jim

Glad you enjoyed!

Your pics also depicted well the carmelized crust on the burger that both seals in the juices and adds a nice textural note.

As we eat with all our senses, including sight, presentation is a very important element in gustatory enjoyment.  I wish Five Guys would take a lesson.

Best regards from the Metroplex where "freezin' season" (remember last year's Super Bowl) is about to be upon us.  Enjoy the desert at this time when your locals describe the weather as "magical".

It was 75 degrees and sunny here today. I worked up a sweat raking leaves and cutting the grass!

You have GRASS and LEAFS in the DESERT

From my visits to Scottsdale all I saw in the front yards of "Paradise Valley" were artfully arranged rocks and cacti; the back yards are paved over by pool decks.  You must have a deep well or deep pockets to pay a helluva water bill!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/01 09:25:07
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18483
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2012/01/01 09:44:30 (permalink)
My daughter's place in Scottsdale has grass and trees with leaves in the back yard, along with the pool and pool deck.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2012/01/01 14:13:44 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Foodbme

MetroplexJim

JRPfeff

Metro-Jim,

Desert-Jim

Glad you enjoyed!

Your pics also depicted well the caramelized crust on the burger that both seals in the juices and adds a nice textural note.

You have GRASS and LEAFS in the DESERT

From my visits to Scottsdale all I saw in the front yards of "Paradise Valley" were artfully arranged rocks and cacti; the back yards are paved over by pool decks.  You must have a deep well or deep pockets to pay a helluva water bill!

We have lots of trees & greenery out here. That's because we're famous for Irrigation and Agitation, (Can you say Immigration). The snow in Flagstaff & the White Mountains turns to grass as it flows downhill. We have 250+ Golf Courses in the Phoenix Area. All of them are open, green as can be and ready to take the Snowbirds money. There are many sections of Paradise Valley that are green. They cover their rocks with MONEY!!! 
Estimated median household income in Paradise Valley 2009: $137,385 (it was $150,228 in 2000)
Paradise Valley:  $137,385
Arizona: $48,745

Estimated per capita income in 2009: $84,285
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Paradise-Valley-Arizona.html#ixzz1iEgBE5W7
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/01/01 14:19:02
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1054
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2012/01/06 15:21:01 (permalink)
Getting back to the original topic --

I discovered that there is now a Smashburger in the shopping center in nearby St. Paul where we do our grocery shopping (at Lunds).

The aromas coming from the Smashburger place were pretty tempting. After reading these comments, I think I'll give it a try.  I like my burgers thin and well done (as in Steak 'n' Shake).   I'd ordinarily start with the small size, but I guess the "regular" will give me a better sense of what they do best.
KurtSara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2012/01/06 17:27:08 (permalink)
rumaki

Getting back to the original topic --

I discovered that there is now a Smashburger in the shopping center in nearby St. Paul where we do our grocery shopping (at Lunds).

The aromas coming from the Smashburger place were pretty tempting. After reading these comments, I think I'll give it a try.  I like my burgers thin and well done (as in Steak 'n' Shake).   I'd ordinarily start with the small size, but I guess the "regular" will give me a better sense of what they do best.

there is one in Plymouth west of 494 on bass lake road I believe and one across from famous daves on snelling, mot a bad burger
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
Re:Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! 2013/02/17 11:49:43 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
But have you tried the $110.00 hamburger at the Four Seasons, Jakarta?
http://tanlinnei.wordpress.com/category/most-expensive-food/

Don't think I will be making time to get to that one, sadly......
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1