Smoked Mullet

Author
alfredo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
2006/05/13 15:37:03 (permalink)

Smoked Mullet

Since we've talked about preparing nutria, deer and most recently, squirrels - I'm looking for mullet recipes. My husband knows how to fry them, but we'd like to try our hand at smoking one. Of course, any other mullet recipes are appreciated! Here in S.C., you get strange looks if you go into a seafood market and ask for mullet. People around here consider it only a bait fish.

28 Replies Related Threads

mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/13 16:00:40 (permalink)
    And I always though that a smoked mullet was a reference to one of my wife's hilly billy siblings who got into the local "herb".

You learn something new everyday...
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/13 17:41:05 (permalink)
    We had always heard that Mullet was considered bait or trash fish. My brother lives in the Florida Panhandle and wouldn't touch a Mullet for food. But one time we were eating lunch at a neat little place on pilings off Cedar Key and had a smoked Mullet spread that was addictive and I wish I could have that once more before I leave this planet. It was so delicious. I've never seen the same thing anywhere else.

Donna
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/13 18:00:22 (permalink)
    Smoked Mullet Recipes:

http://www.flfish.com/recipes/smoked_mullet.htm
    http://www.mulletfestival.com/Mullet%20Recipes.htm

Smoked Mullet Dip Recipe (one of many):

http://www.fromdebbieskitchen.com/MulletDip.htm
    alfredo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/13 19:15:20 (permalink)
    Yes Mousec, I wasn't aware that mullet was anything other than a really tragic haircut until I married a Florida panhandle boy. I can say, however, that several of my husband's relatives fit your description of those partaking of the local "herb."

And Donna, my husband says mullet is known in Florida as a trash fish. However, certain Floridians have been eating it for years. My father-in-law has a fish fry every Easter, and mullet is the featured entree.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/13 21:16:18 (permalink)
    Here in N.E. Fl. mullett and mullet dips are fairly popular, at least with the natives or long time residents. It is also a popular bait, like squid in other places some people use it for food AND bait others only one or the other
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/13 21:33:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by alfredo

Since we've talked about preparing nutria, deer and most recently, squirrels - I'm looking for mullet recipes. My husband knows how to fry them, but we'd like to try our hand at smoking one. Of course, any other mullet recipes are appreciated! Here in S.C., you get strange looks if you go into a seafood market and ask for mullet. People around here consider it only a bait fish.

Alfredo, Don't know about smoking them as I never have access to a smoker when I'm in FL.
    We catch them in cast nets, fillet them, bread and fry them like any other fish of that sort. They have a strong but excellent taste. . . remind me a little of trout.
    The general practice is to break their necks (almost removing their heads) and stick them head first into a 5 gal bucket and let them bleed out.
    I always look forward to netting a few big mullet for a fish fry.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/14 09:30:48 (permalink)
    My dad was from FL. and mullet was his favorite fish. He would make my uncles bring some frozen ones to Dallas when they came to visit. I have not had any in many years.
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/14 09:48:29 (permalink)
    http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/Pages/hotstories/hotstories.asp?1424
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/14 13:52:32 (permalink)
    Ted Peters Smoked Fish joint in St Petersburg is world famous for its smoked mullet. They also make a smoked mullet spread, and just about every joint on the beaches has a smoked mullet spread on the menu. It is a great delight on our annual visit, to eat the smoked mullet and to have the spread along with evening cocktails while watching the sun set over the Gulf.

The man who runs Ted Peters ( he may be Ted Peters, I never asked) ) told me that, even under refrigeration, he does not recommend keeping the smoked fish for longer than four days - it just does not keep or travel well.

Cheers, John
    alfredo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/14 15:39:23 (permalink)
    Seafarer John,

If I can find some mullet - it won't be around in four days. My husband will probably eat it all as soon as it comes off the smoker. Dreamzpainter, where in the Panhandle are you? Last time I talked to my father-in-law, he said the price of mullet had gone up. Is it still expensive?
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/14 17:35:51 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    At one time, there was a store on U. S. 441 bypassing Mount Dora, Florida that sold what was locally known as "Sugg's Mullet." It seems that Sugg (or maybe it was Suggs) was a well-known local fellow who used to have a special way of smoking mullet that made it quite a delicacy. Bwefore he died, he passed along his secret(s) to a couple of trustworthy people, one of whom may well still be carrying on his method of preparation.
    It strikes me that my late father, who was a native of Central Florida, and who lived in Mount Dora during World War II (he made orange juice concentrate in nearby Zellwood for the troops after failing the draft physical), remembered trying Sugg's handiwork. I do remember for certain his saying once that anyone who would consider mullet to be a "toss-'em-back fish" was being rather foolish, because it was excellent when properly prepared.
    If any of y'all are down within easy wandering distance of Mount Dora, see what you can find out. A trip through the Afro-American community might yield more information than a scan of 441's roadside stores would, and either the library people or the police - if not both - could be a real help. Nobody who has lived there long enough would think you had made this up... hey, I think I read of it in the first Roadfood book!
    Happy Sugging, as it might be called.
    Mulleting It Over, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. It's a good thing that nobody's invented mullet mull yet. (Today I won't mention livermush.)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/14 17:53:40 (permalink)
    Ort, at one time during my pharmaceutical career, I owned a greenhouse and I bought plants from Apopka, FL which is just south of Mt. Dora. I recall around 1975 stopping at a place there buying the mullet. I believe it was the same place you described. Not fancy but tasty?

Apopka at that time was the place that I bought all the tropical plants that I retailed at my greenhouse. I owned it while working at the pharmaceutical firm.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/15 07:55:23 (permalink)
    I'm not on the panhandle... Jacksonville is in N.E.Fl, the eastern end of I-10 on the Atlantic
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/15 09:09:48 (permalink)
    And I thought Mullet was some wacked out southern haircut...
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/17 20:36:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Uncle Vic,
    A DATED style, from what I understand. Even Billy Ray Cyrus has changed his appearance since those "Achy Breaky" days.
    A few members of the punk subculture hereabouts (both sexes included) are sporting mullet haircuts these days.
    Not me, thanks. I remain my own shaggy dog story.
    Follically Unimpairedly, Ort. Carlton in Furry Athens, Georgia.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/19 20:22:02 (permalink)
    quote:

Mullet is some mighty fine eatin' here Vic. Smoked and/or fried. I will break a leg getting to a mullet fish fry.
    lanetrenton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/27 21:52:44 (permalink)
    I grew up in south Georgia, not only did we eat fried mullet and smoked mullet, my grandmother bought mullet roe from the fish market, both yellow, female roe, and white, male roe. It has allways been one of my favorite foods. Since moving to central Florida, I have met people who clean up the mullet gizzard and fry it like chicken gizzard. So being a "trash" fish is somethig I would never think.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/28 00:47:14 (permalink)
    Down in Flora-Bama they toss em! From a 10 foot circle across the Alabama State line into Florida. Not sure why we throw them at Florida lol

The Mullet is the only fish with a gizzard. Those fry up nice. Never heard of them being called a trash fish, but heck, I eat Catfish and know they are.

My favorite way of eating it is blackened cajun style.

paprika,
    black pepper,
    cayenne pepper,
    garlic powder,
    onion powder
    And just a bit of tarragon and fennel seed.

Dip the filets in melted butter, coat well with the seasonings.

Place filets in a cast iron skillet, drizzle a bit of butter on, place on the grill or over a fire, you need hot direct heat. Drizzle more butter when you flip, flip only once. Cook about 2-5 mins a side depending on thickness. When you blacken something it causes a lot of a smoke, best done out of doors.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/29 14:51:35 (permalink)
    quote:

The Classic look

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/05/29 16:05:00 (permalink)
    Gizmolito, I see the truck, wheres all the beer cans?
    alfredo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/06/07 16:50:56 (permalink)
    Bham Babe,

I'm probably one of the few people who, like you, has witnesed the Flora Bama's mullet toss. Step into the Alabama door, grab a Corona, go out the Florida door and watch the fun!
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/06/09 15:41:19 (permalink)
    Alfredo, they got hit fairly hard by Katrina and a building is missing but the fun is still there. They had a huge gathering a few weeks back to kick off the season. Was really fun.

You ever been down for Mobile Bay Jubilee?
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2006/06/09 16:10:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by alfredo

If you search "smoked mullet dip" there is a recipe for the Cedar Key type I posted, shoot, a couple of years ago. I love mullet myself but only really eat it fried(as oppsoed to the dip)when the Cedar Key Seafood or Art Festival is here.
    My Dad used to net them in the Intracoastal, split them/gut them and layer them in a cooler, fish, salt/pepper, fish, salt/pepper until the cooler was 3/4 way full then cover with ice. Drive them the 1 1/2 hour drive home and put them on racks in an old refridgerator that he converted to a smoker. I have NO idea how long he smoked them for. Some our our friends have one of those huge wrought iron smoker/grills(the loooong ones)that they use and just smoke indirectly and their just as good and don't take quite as long. I would assume when they flake, their done. No need to flip them, maybe just alternate. Tell your husband to smoke more than one....
    kbev
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2007/11/18 17:12:23 (permalink)
    OMG, anyone who grew up in North Florida or South Georgia should know all about mullet. Mullet is not a trash fish at all to us. If you catch fresh mullet and cook them soon thereafter, they are fabulous. They also are great smoked and in that wonderful smoked mullet dip that some people make. We also love the roe, red (which is really dark yellow colored) and the white. My husband and I moved (from South Georgia where mullet in season is almost always readily available) to Northeast Georgia near Atlanta where many people are not familiar with mullet, so therefore we can't get it up here. We miss it very much, and each fall, can't wait to visit relatives in South Georgia so we can have a fish fry with mullet. For Thanksgiving, we are going to the Florida panhandle where mullet is popular. Yay! Can't wait to get there. I crave it. Guess it's an acquired taste.
    evanjohnson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Smoked Mullet 2013/01/04 13:36:55 (permalink)
    BhamBabe
    ...The Mullet is the only fish with a gizzard. Those fry up nice. Never heard of them being called a trash fish, but heck, I eat Catfish and know they are... 

I believe the American Gizzard Shad also has a gizzard.  I eaten the gizzards and roe many times at the now closed Edisto Motel in Jacksonboro, SC.  They used to serve up a great fried roe during the season (February-ish).

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Smoked Mullet 2013/01/04 14:22:43 (permalink)
    alfredo

Keep it simple. I like to use just a little oil rubbed on, and sprinkle some a little Old Bay, and let it smoke for an hour or so, then thinly paint on some honey, smoke for until firm enough for you. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8079
    Re:Smoked Mullet 2013/01/04 14:38:33 (permalink)
    I also heard that mullet was a trash fish.

That was after telling a few friends that I had the most tasty dish... jerked mullet.

Sadly I can't get it anymore.

DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 476
    Re:Smoked Mullet 2013/01/21 22:04:11 (permalink)
    I fished Mullet on hook and line after being shown by three black gentlemen, how to catch them. There is quite a knack to fishing mullet. They are some of the tastiest fish you will ever set your taste buds into. I have only had them deep fried but after reading about mullet dip, I will certainly be on a mission to find some my next visit.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1