Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice

Author
SAK5252
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2013/01/08 15:24:26 (permalink)

Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice

I have a question for you smoker out there. We just finished our food truck build and are looking to smoke pork loin and serve it was a sandwich. What have you found is the best way to "pull" the loin? We are looking into getting a  Ro-man pork puller (porkpuller.com), as I know it works wonders with the butt, but Im not sure how it will work with the loin. 
Any suggestions? 
SAK

12 Replies Related Threads

emandm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/08 18:13:10 (permalink)
    I frequently smoke pork loins and butts.  I think the idea of pulling is more suited to the shoulder or butt.  The pork loin in my opinion is best sliced....the texture of the meat just dosent shred as easily as a slow cooked shoulder or butt.  My specialty isnt BBQ but it is a passion that I'm always improving on.  Good Luck!!
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/08 18:48:07 (permalink)
    Why would you want to pull a loin, that is the best part of the pig. If you want to pull, use the butt or shoulder..........The smoked pork loin can be used when sliced for a Cuban Sandwich, that will knock your socks off............................pnwc
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/01/08 18:49:21
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7051
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/08 20:04:29 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Why would you want to pull a loin, that is the best part of the pig. If you want to pull, use the butt or shoulder..........The smoked pork loin can be used when sliced for a Cuban Sandwich, that will knock your socks off............................pnwc

Yep.  I agree!!

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2022
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/08 23:24:17 (permalink)
    Loins are for slicing, butts for pulling.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/08 23:49:20 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone else BUT if you want to turn a pork loin into pulled pork smoke it to what ever temp and amount of smoke you want and put it in a covered pan with a bout 3/4 inch of apple juice at 250 and cook it until it falls apart. It will never be pulled pork because you don't have the fat to provide the liquid and the taste, so you'll need to sauce it before it's served. But it's a heck of a lot closer to BBQ than those folks that just put ribs into an oven and bake them.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 12:44:11 (permalink)
    I pull loin all the time. I smoke for 2-3 hours in my stick burner then wrap in foil and cook at 225 for 3-4 more hours. Its awesome and the  juice stays in. I usually just use a big fork to pull but one of the Ro-man pullers would work just fine.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 13:51:30 (permalink)
    Have to say that when I saw the thread title, I thought the OP wanted to know what temp to pull at:-) I've always sliced loins and personally don't see any advantage in cooking it to death with or without liquid so I could pull it. YMMV.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 16:33:46 (permalink)
    The thought process is no fat no bone no waste and far less shrinkage. When pork shoulders were pushing $160 a lb, and loins were only $1.98 a LB it made sense. When you smoke a shoulder you get 40% to 50% shrinkage so your cost is really 2 X $1.65 or about $3.30 a LB give or take a few cents.  And there is no mess to clean up and 90% of the people that eat it don't know the difference.
    jack
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 19:56:31 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

The thought process is no fat no bone no waste and far less shrinkage. When pork shoulders were pushing $160 a lb, and loins were only $1.98 a LB it made sense. When you smoke a shoulder you get 40% to 50% shrinkage so your cost is really 2 X $1.65 or about $3.30 a LB give or take a few cents.  And there is no mess to clean up and 90% of the people that eat it don't know the difference.
    jack

I understand the difference in cost and yield...and love cooking and selling pork loins. They are a great cut and a good money maker.  Guess I am going to have to try cooking one long enough to pull it...hard for me to believe that 90% of my customers could not tell it from pulled pork (butts). I know that when I do a whole hog for competitions, we end up stripping the loins along with the rest of the hog...mixing it up with pulled pork from our butts and just selling it for sandwiches. The color and texture are certainly different, but nobody ever comments.

IMO pork loins are best when cooked to a bit over 140°...sliced thin and served on a bun with a little of the juice. Too good of a product to cook further.  Just my opinion......as they say, YMMV.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 20:18:11 (permalink)
    I really don't think 90% would know the difference. But I'm not talking BBQ judges, BBQ aficionados, or a good chef, but your average customer at my BBQ stand wouldn't know. Now if you took a pork loin and smoked it like I was talking about, and a butt right off the smoker, there is no comparison. Texture, taste, that smokey richness that you only get in a butt or shoulder would win hands down. But the average BBQ food service has to hold pulled pork with heat and it degrades much faster than most people understand. It is still good but nothing like that moment it comes off the smoker. One other thing to keep in mind when your doing pulled pork for competition  those tubes you pull for the turn in box have a strong resemblance to a loin that is smoked to 180 or so in color and texture. Just some thoughts and I'm not pushing anyone to do loins or the other way around. By the way I have no idea what YMMV means. lol

PS by the way if anyone knows how to keep a pork shoulder fresher than in a steam table at 135 degrees I'd love some input.We pull ours and bag in instantly and then use it as needed.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 21:09:32 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

I really don't think 90% would know the difference. But I'm not talking BBQ judges, BBQ aficionados, or a good chef, but your average customer at my BBQ stand wouldn't know. Now if you took a pork loin and smoked it like I was talking about, and a butt right off the smoker, there is no comparison. Texture, taste, that smokey richness that you only get in a butt or shoulder would win hands down. But the average BBQ food service has to hold pulled pork with heat and it degrades much faster than most people understand. It is still good but nothing like that moment it comes off the smoker. One other thing to keep in mind when your doing pulled pork for competition  those tubes you pull for the turn in box have a strong resemblance to a loin that is smoked to 180 or so in color and texture. Just some thoughts and I'm not pushing anyone to do loins or the other way around. By the way I have no idea what YMMV means. lol

PS by the way if anyone knows how to keep a pork shoulder fresher than in a steam table at 135 degrees I'd love some input.We pull ours and bag in instantly and then use it as needed.

Not pushing anybody here either...gonna try cooking some loins longer & see how it turns out. I hear what you are saying about trying to hold pulled pork. Once you bust that butt up you have a pretty short window to serve before it starts to dry out. Real short. About the only thing that works for me is to only break up enough for a half dozen sandwiches if I don't have a line of folks waiting. It will dry out pretty quick on a steam table or chafer. I'd rather have a customer wait a minute for me to break more up than to get a sandwich that is not up to par.
    And for the record....YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary.....................I know mine does:-)
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smoked Pork Loin pulling advice 2013/01/09 21:40:38 (permalink)
    LMAO YMMV
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1