Smoked salmon

Author
Aharkavy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/12/22 15:20:40 (permalink)

Smoked salmon

Friends gave us some cold smoked wild smoked salmon from Grindstone Neck smoked seafood of Maine. Wow! It was neither too salty nor too smoky and had "presence" but wasn't heavy; its texture was perfect. We phoned our friends to find out where they'd purchased the stuff and came home with the company's other salmon offerings -- certified organically fed cold smoked organic Atlantic salmon and plain ol' cold smoked Atlantic salmon. Though slightly fattier than the wild salmon, neither of the Atlantic salmons was excessively fatty or greasy. Like the wild smoked salmon, they were neither too salty nor too smoky, and their textures were -- once again -- just right.

Grindstone Neck of Maine seems to have hit the right balance with its hand crafted, artisan products (we can't wait to try their smoked mussels).

We were so pleased with our selections that -- after sampling the 3 kinds of salmon -- we went right to their Web site at (www.grindstoneneck.com and ordered whole sides of salmon shipped to family who are not lucky enough to live here in Maine.

Our mail order experience and subsequent checking to find out when the package would be delivered in California reinforced our good feelings about the Grindstone Neck group. The products are second to none, and the customer service and follow-up are as good as it gets.

No affiliation. Just a very, happy customer.

Addy Harkavy
[/font=Arial]

14 Replies Related Threads

Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 15:44:52 (permalink)
    Uhhh... http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g4539d.htm

A google search indicates that Addy likes to endorse LOTS of products.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 15:57:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

Uhhh... http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g4539d.htm

A google search indicates that Addy likes to endorse LOTS of products.

Good detective work, Willy.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Addy+Harkavy&btnG=Google+Search
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 16:05:18 (permalink)

I was going to delete the thread for it's advertising effort....but Now we know , As Paul Harvey says, "The Rest of the Story". Read the letter at the link Willy posted. Then decide about the product yourself.

AL The Mayor
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2044
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 16:11:30 (permalink)
    I am impressed. I do like smoked salmon, but I will not rush out to buy that brand.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 16:28:48 (permalink)
    Since the company is still in business, my presumption is that they have corrected the deficiencies. If so, the product that Addy tasted may not have been exposed to any of the issues that generated the FDA concerns.

The prosecutors have spoken but I'll withhold judgment until I hear from the defense.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 17:22:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brent Kulman

Since the company is still in business, my presumption is that they have corrected the deficiencies. If so, the product that Addy tasted may not have been exposed to any of the issues that generated the FDA concerns.

The prosecutors have spoken but I'll withhold judgment until I hear from the defense.

You may have a point, but any time somebody uses their very first posting to shill for a retailer, the burden of proof shifts to the defense.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7395
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 17:44:35 (permalink)
    For all you smoked salmon lovers, I sent several gift boxes from Alaska Sausage and Seafood www.alaskasausage.com as Christmas gifts this year.
    They do hot and cold smoked WILD native Alaskan salmon......I use it at the restaurant for caterings. Their products are available at our Anchorage Costco.....and Costco is VERY TOUGH to get a product into! The company has been in business since 1963.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 18:15:12 (permalink)
    I love smoked salmon, and have been looking for details of a smokehouse that was mentioned in the December 2003 issue of Philadelphia magazine. Their product sounded wonderful, used by all the finest restaurants in the Philly area. Anyone have that back issue?
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/22 18:36:38 (permalink)
    Honey Smoked Fish Company is the best I've ever eaten. I sell it and have never had a complaint. In fact, people brag about it. I've tried all the flavor except the chipolte and I'm just looking for a reason to open one of those. They also have another called cajun. You can only get it through a supplier, though.

http://www.honeysmokedfish.com/
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7395
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/23 02:00:24 (permalink)
    Actually, while Alaska Sausage and Seafood does a great job, the BEST smoked salmon is made by my SO, Zman, with fish we catch. He does all the brining, drying, smoking, I don't get involved until it's time to eat (or clean up the kitchen........a small price to pay for primo smoked salmon!) His Squaw Candy is to DIE for........best I have ever eaten. He is indeed the MASTER of smoked salmon! And he makes a pretty mean smoked duck breast too!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4655
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/23 11:18:18 (permalink)
    Ileechef, I think more folks smoke their own out west. We recieve various smoked fish from neighbors, and everyone does it themselves. The commercial smokehouses on the coast do a great job too, but it's a ho-made thing around these parts, from catching to brining to smoking, mostly with Alder.
    Bill
    rfbillings
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/23 11:48:09 (permalink)
    As one of the owners of Grindstone Neck of Maine, I will have to admit to a great deal of bias right up front. However, I feel I need to respond to the invitations for our defense, and offer the following:
    The FDA takes seriously the quality of both food products and documentation (as do we)in the act of doing its job. Since we are a relatively new and small company with minimal overhead, it took us a while to gain command of the FDA's stringent documentation requirements. What the FDA warning letter does not reflect is that we responded to their concerns, and our response was acceptable to their review process. Further, a careful read of the letter indicates that their issues were with the documentation of our process, NOT with the products themselves or our overall process. If one were to look up many of our competitiors, one would find similar warning letters with essentially the same opening (designed and VERY EFFECTIVE at getting our attention) and similar findings. In some cases there are issues with product quality and recalls, but those are few. I can assure everyone that none of them have been ignored. These are examples of the FDA doing its job and keeping us all in line in the consumer's interest.

Ignoring the issue of whether our product is better than anyone else's (which can only be determined by trying it), anyone who has visited and toured our plant will tell you that cleanliness and safety are our highest concern. As for any other data, I would suggest forum members start with the review of our products posted on this site under MAINE; SMOKEHOUSE.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: Smoked salmon 2004/12/23 12:01:23 (permalink)
    Thank you for that explanation. As an f&b veteran, I am familiar with the tangle of FDA and ATF regulations, and can understand how that could happen.
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Smoked salmon 2006/02/19 12:38:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Ileechef, I think more folks smoke their own out west. We recieve various smoked fish from neighbors, and everyone does it themselves. The commercial smokehouses on the coast do a great job too, but it's a ho-made thing around these parts, from catching to brining to smoking, mostly with Alder.
    Bill

Also vine maple has strong appeal here. I agree, lots of local commercial and private smoking in these parts due to the nice fish to do it with. Besides salmon, one locally overlooked fish that is caught off these shores is black cod (sablefish) which one of the best fish for smoking due to its' high oil content. Delish!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1