Smoking

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Smoking 2006/07/25 15:04:30 (permalink)
Scorereader, I shudder to think what the "sticky film" is at McDuff's. (there's probably still crud in there from when I was a student and it was called Morgans!)

Saying that we should also stop grilling because of carcinogens is a bit disingenuous when you are speaking of an enclosed indoor environment. If I were a patron at a restaurant, and the chef decided to light up a grill in the booth next to mine, you'd better believe I'd complain. And yet we allow smokers to do that. It's complete and total nonsense.

I have no problem with an outdoor patio for smokers as long as I don't have to walk through the smoke. I DO have a huge problem with smokers dumping their nasty cigarette butts all over the ground, which I see happening all the time. It's gross, pathetic, and completely inconsiderate!

You want to pump your body up with nicotine, be my guest. Just don't exhale your disgusting fumes in the air that I breathe (and in return, I promise not to fart in your face!) and don't throw your spent cigs out your car window or on the ground. In other words, show some consideration for the vast majority of us who don't smoke. Enough said.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: Smoking 2006/07/25 15:09:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joanie41

Saying that we should also stop grilling because of carcinogens is a bit disingenuous when you are speaking of an enclosed indoor environment. If I were a patron at a restaurant, and the chef decided to light up a grill in the booth next to mine, you'd better believe I'd complain.

They do this at the "Weber Grill" restaurants, one that I frequented in Chicago. I thought it was pretty cool.
-Tricky-
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: Smoking 2006/07/25 15:31:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

My suggestion, is to create an outside patio, possibly on the side of the building, for a smoking area. Thus, giving the smokers a designated place to smoke AND keeping the smoke out of the reastaurant AND away from the main entrance where non-smokers walk through.

Good suggestion!
cbolado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Smoking 2006/07/25 16:34:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

Originally posted by blizzardstormus

{Disclaimer: As a smoker, I am just a smoker when I drink. I've cut way back in my old age!! }

This reminded me of an article I read a while back, written about a year or two after the smoking ban went into effect in NYC. Apparently, a lot of people who were "social smokers," i.e. they only smoke when they're out drinking with friends, liked the ban because it gave them the push they needed to give up cigarettes entirely. I guess most of them decided that the cigarette wasn't worth it if they had to stand outside in the freezing cold to smoke it.

Personally, I'm a non-smoker who used to come home from bars in college in Chicago regularly reeking of cigarette smoke and sniffling. (The sniffle occasionally developed into a cold as well.) When I moved out here to northern New Jersey, I loved that I could go to a bar in NYC and not have to immediately dump my clothing in the hamper afterward or wash my hair multiple times just to get the stench out.

Good luck donecookn! I hope that it works out for you. Keep us posted on how it goes.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2462
RE: Smoking 2006/07/29 11:35:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

The problem with smoking is that it became so commonplace and socially acceptable over time, smokers assumed that they had rights.

But in reality, it is a public nuisance and should be treated as such. No one has the right to fire carcinogens into the air for public consumption; it's no different than dumping poisonous chemicals into public waterways. Should we eliminate the legislation on that?

Then there is just the common courtesy of it. Most people refrain from farting and belching in dining areas. Although neither causes cancer, they can be malodorous, cause breathing problems, and make your eyes water. How does cigarette smoking differ? (Aside from the fact that farts are funny)

Look at all of the positive reinforcement that smoking had enjoyed for so many years, Ads saying that smoking was wholesome and healthful. "Doctors" promoting it and films glamourizing it. I'd say cigarette smoking differs in that "secondhand farting" issues are not an epidemic and I think its probably rare that farters congregate outside the entrances to restaurants to let loose.

I lost my dad to a heart attack, my aunt to emphysema, my grandfathter to lung and brain cancer, and a good friend of mine is battling emphysema right right. All were lifelong pack-a-day smokers. I for one am glad that smoking has been banned is most restaurants and bars (Boston and NYC especially as I have lived in both for some time, currently NYC). I do feel bad for the drop-off that an establishment would incur and hope that the business pick up again. However, if I had to choose between profits and the health of my customers, the health is gonna win out every time.
donecookn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Smoking 2006/07/31 11:35:50 (permalink)
We have finishd scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing some more including the menus and every light bulb we could find! The painting is done and we had to do it all after closing so it has been very late nights. Tonight we will do one more wipe down with bleach then a heavy spray job with febreeze and then the no smoking signs go up.
I will update and I truly appreiate all of the input!
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
RE: Smoking 2006/07/31 15:07:06 (permalink)
Hi,
Just wanted to put my two cents in. I used to smoke, but I always considered it just good manners not to smoke in resturants. Call it smokers ettiquette I guess. Even when I smoked I could not stand it when someone was smoking near me when I was eating. Really weird I know, but. So if you do , or if you don't, please be respectful of others. If you see that smoke is offending someone, just snuff it out till after dinner. And it goes along way if you just ask people, "Do you mind if I smoke?", Just asking puts others at ease and is good manners as well. If they mind just wait until its clear and smoke away. I know this sounds funny from an ex-smoker. I do believe we all have a right to decide for ourselves are far as smoking, drinking, or whatever. But we should be polite, and considerate of others before you indulge in whatever. Oh by the way, the whole quitting smoking thing was not as bad as I thought, give it a try! I promise you will not regret it.
Thanks
Myway.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Smoking 2006/08/01 05:01:24 (permalink)
Good Luck Donecookn!

I'm a smoker but would never, ever push my habit on others. That includes my children. I smoke outside, don't drive so thats a non issue and certainly don't mind a non smoking dining experience.

Here in Birmingham they are telling folks to decide if they are smoking or non. They have a certain numbers of days to decide and will get one point off if they don't have the sign up one way or the other by that day. If they decide to go smoking they get four points off their health rating. Not sure that's cool, but if they are willing to deal with it at least we'll have an idea of why the ratings change.
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Smoking 2006/08/01 09:06:33 (permalink)
I support donecookn's decision to go non-smoking. I am a former 3 pack-a-day smoker who quit cold turkey 15 years ago and never regretted it (and I didn't have to). Hate the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke and will not go to a restaurant that allows smoking anywhere close to where we are seated. The world (at least in the U.S.) has gone very negative on smokers, including most work places also. If anyone knows where donecookn's restaurant is, go and support it and help the cause. Most smokers (not all) cannot "see the light" on this issue and come up with the most "cock-a-mania" rationales for allowing smoking or "build another room or patio." But there are many, many more non-smokers than smokers, thank God. Good luck to you with the change. Make August 1st your Freedom Day!
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Smoking 2006/08/01 15:22:41 (permalink)
GOOD LUCK with your exciting new changes, donecookn!

You are definitely doing the right thing. If I were you, I would really play this up. Let the whole world know what you have done. In addition to preserving the health of your non-smoking staff members, you are helping preserve the health of your non-smoking patrons. And always remember, most people don't smoke! Also, I'd play up the fact that you gave the restaurant a cleaning...people love the idea of eating in a sparkling clean facility.

Keep us posted. If you market the hell out of this, I can almost guarantee your sales will go up, not down!
donecookn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Smoking 2006/08/01 21:01:49 (permalink)
If I were you, I would really play this up. Let the whole world know what you have done. In addition to preserving the health of your non-smoking staff members, you are helping preserve the health of your non-smoking patrons. And always remember, most people don't smoke! Also, I'd play up the fact that you gave the restaurant a cleaning...people love the idea of eating in a sparkling clean facility.

Thank you and yes we sure are letting people know what we have done. Today being our first day of smoke free we gave out car air freshners to customers and thanked them for coming in to help us celebrate our first day of smoke free. It opened the door to many conversations about why we decided to do this how we cleaned up etc. As hot as it was here (near 100) we were nice and steady and I was surprised. So day one went well no decrease in business as far as I can see though I don't have the numbers yet.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1