?Smoky Jon's bbq In Madison, WI?

Author
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
2007/12/25 17:15:14 (permalink)

?Smoky Jon's bbq In Madison, WI?

Ok, I am told by locals that this place is excellent, and it would seem Smoky Jon's has the awards to back it up.

However, the "sides" are almost bizarre, compared to your typical, southern bbq joint. Applesauce" />

http://www.smokyjons.com/Resturant%20Menu.htm

Not gonna tell you folks how to do it up your way, because we sure don't appreciate being told squat in Dixie. However, it just doesn't seem like bbq to me, without Brunswick stew, and sides of fried okra and some kind of greens.

Still, I can't wait to give a sandwich and the sauces a go.

Anyone tasted Jon's Q

3 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: ?Smoky Jon's bbq In Madison, WI? 2007/12/25 20:13:54 (permalink)
    I've never seen Brunswick Stew in any BBQ place out of the SE part of America.
    Okra and greens in Wisconsin are only found in Soul food type places (that I know of).

I was prepared to dislike Smoky Jon's (not to be mistaken with Madison's much more famous steakhouse, Smoky's), but everything I sampled was top notch. It's a bit off the beaten track as far as restaurants go; fairly close to Oscar Mayer's which seems just so right. I confess to not ever seeing applesauce at a BBQ joint before. I look forward to returning.
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: ?Smoky Jon's bbq In Madison, WI? 2007/12/26 02:12:09 (permalink)
    I will give it a shot!!!

In Grits we trust...................
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    RE: ?Smoky Jon's bbq In Madison, WI? 2007/12/27 14:26:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

It's a bit off the beaten track as far as restaurants go; fairly close to Oscar Mayer's which seems just so right.

Take 1 pig, give the meat to Jon, and everything else to Oscar...

I haven't had Smoky Jon's for several years but in the past it's always been good. I remember his sauces as being slightly chunky, though, so if you like your sauces totally smooth be prepared.

Ulver, you might want to also consider Fat Jack's in Monona. I ate there this past Sunday night and had a bowl of ham bone soup (basically a bean & ham with a smoky flavor), which I really liked. Come to think of it, I had some leftover Fat Jack's spareribs for breakfast today...

Brad
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1