Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
2009/11/20 09:00:55 (permalink)

Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner

My daughter is having Thanksgiving dinner.  She lives across the street from me.  I will be going up early as I have been invited to participate in a Wi tournament with my grandkids.  They are bowling experts even though that are only 5 and 7.  I will lose.

Since I am going up at 10:00AM and dinner will be around 4:00PM, I wanted to have some snacks and I thought about bacon wrapped scallops although I hve no idea how to do them.  Any thoughts on that and any other easy ideas?

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

28 Replies Related Threads

Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 10:21:54 (permalink)
    Paul,

For bacon-wrapped scallops I use thin-sliced bacon. Cut each bacon stip into halves or thirds, depending on how big your scallops are -- you want the bacon to wrap around once, with enough overlap to secure with a toothpick.  Or, instead of a toothpick, I prefer to use the small metal skewers that are normally used, with cotton twine, to close the openings on a turkey before you roast it.  They are big enough to hold about three scallops each, and won't burn like toothpicks or wooden skewers (which I find usually burn, even if you soak them).  I place the skewers of bacon-wrapped scallops on a rack set in a pan or baking tray and broil until done, turning a few times.  Sometimes I will brush with bbq sauce near the end of cooking time.

Karen
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 10:48:05 (permalink)
    or try prosciutto. great flavor and no need to worry over completely cooking the wrap. i like the milder ham flavor with the sweet scallops. 
    fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 10:49:25 (permalink)
    Scroll down to the bottom to see the Port Wine Blue Cheese Ball.  Delicious.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97330375#97331310
    post edited by fabulousoyster - 2009/11/20 10:50:31
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 11:10:26 (permalink)
    If you want something really simple ..........................this is what we usually  have before a big late afternoon dinner.

A  large platter of  shrimp with a bowl of cocktail sauce in the middle and  fresh fruit on toothpicks with a bowl of  fruit dip. ( Don't forget a plate of crackers.)
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 11:24:13 (permalink)
    Someone brought this to a recent staff meeting and it was awesome.  I got the recipe from her:

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

10 oz. shredded chicken
    2- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
    1 cup chunky blue cheese dressing
    1/2 cup hot sauce.
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Blend together the cream cheese, hot sauce, and blue cheese dressing until well mixed.  Fold in the chicken and 1/4 cup of the cheese.  Bake at 350 until hot, top with the rest of the cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
    Serve with scoopable chips and/or celery sticks.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 11:38:50 (permalink)
    emmymom

Someone brought this to a recent staff meeting and it was awesome.  I got the recipe from her:

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

10 oz. shredded chicken
    1/2 cup hot sauce.

Blend together the cream cheese, hot sauce, and blue cheese dressing until well mixed.  Fold in the chicken and 1/4 cup of the cheese.  Bake at 350 until hot, top with the rest of the cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

I make a similar dip.  But I had to change the name to Buff Chix CRACK.... because its that addictive.

Ingredients:
    8oz Cream Cheese
    5oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
    1 Bottle Ken's Steak House Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
    1 Bottle Ken's Steak House Buffalo Wing Sauce Marinade
    2 or 3 Cans of Chicken (like tuna but bigger)
    **optional**
    additional HOT sauce
    Crumbled Blue Cheese on top
    Shredded Mozzarella on top

Directions:

1.  Bring cream cheese come to room temp.  Spread on the bottom of a baking pan.

2.  Drain the chicken thoroughly, the drier the better.  In a bowl, break up the chicken with your hands.  Mix the chicken with as much of the Wing Sauce and additional hot sauce.

3.  Spread the chicken mixture into the pan.

4.  Combine the Dressing and Crumbles in a separate container.  Pour as much of this over the top of the pan as you'd like.

5.  Bake at 350 to 400 for about a half hour.... until it is "ooey gooey bubbly delicious"

Notes:

I add some Tabasco Habanero Sauce, this makes people eat it slower, so that it lasts longer.

I don't usually use the entire bottle of Wing Sauce.

I don't usually use the entire Blue Cheese mixture.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 12:18:56 (permalink)
    These aren't too filling 'cause you gotta save room for the dinner and they tie into the football games on TV!

SEC, (including da Vols) Southern Deviled Eggs

A fixture at pre-game festivities at any SEC athletic contest, these little devils are simple to make. For a bit of added showmanship, keep the components (the cooked egg whites and the yolk mixture) separate until you get to the game. Assembling them on-site keeps them from getting watery (and makes it look like you know what you're doing).
    Yield: Makes 18 deviled eggs
    9 large eggs
    1/3 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann's)
    1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 teaspoons scallion (white part only), minced
    2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, minced
    Paprika, to taste
    Tarragon leaves, for garnish
    1. In a large saucepan, combine the eggs and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a full boil. When the water reaches a boil, remove the pan from the heat and let the eggs stand, covered, for 18 minutes. Drain the eggs, leaving them in the pan. Add enough cold water to the pan to cover the eggs. Let stand until the eggs are cool enough to handle.
    2. Peel the eggs. Cut each egg in half lengthwise. Transfer the yolks to a small bowl and mash well with a fork. Stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper until smooth. Spoon in the filling into a zip-top plastic bag and snip one corner of the bag. 
    3. Arrange the egg whites cut-side-up on a large serving plate. Distribute the minced scallion and tarragon over the cavities. Squeeze out the filling from the bag, piping it into the cavities. Sprinkle the stuffed eggs with paprika and garnish with whole tarragon leaves. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1055
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 13:03:51 (permalink)
    Were you planning to oven-broil or pan-broil the scallops?  I love bacon-wrapped scallops, too, but in my house on Thanksgiving, there wouldn't be any spare oven space while the turkey is roasting.  (Or does your daughter deep fry her turkey outside?) 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 13:10:44 (permalink)
    rumaki

That is a good point.  Most people need all the oven space that they have, when preparing a big holiday dinner.  When I go to someone's house and bring food, I always bring something that is already prepared ,and ready to serve,  so that I will not be in their way.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 13:18:58 (permalink)
    another vote for the buffalo chicken dip.  that has been a staple at our holiday gatherings for a few years now.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 13:38:27 (permalink)
    I vote for the traditional cheese and sausage platter...but based on my location that shouldn't be a surprise.

Brad
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 13:48:00 (permalink)
    This is always a big hit, Cranberry Baked Brie:

Cranberry Sauce
    1 cup orange juice or apple cider
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 bag fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (12 ounces)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

In a medium saucepan, combine juice and sugar; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries and continue simmering until cranberries pop and mixture has thickened; about 10-12 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, if desired.

1 wheel brie cheese (8-12 ounces)
    1/2 - 3/4 cup cranberry sauce (from above)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Remove outer wrapping from brie wheel. Using a very sharp knife, remove the rind from the top of the wheel only, leaving the rind on the sides and bottom intact. Place brie in a shallow pie plate or casserole dish that is slightly bigger than the brie itself. Spread the cranberry sauce over the top of the brie, to within 1/4 inch of the edge all the way around. Bake brie in the preheated oven until heated through; about 12-15 minutes. Serve in the casserole dish or transfer carefully to a serving plate. Serve warm with crackers or bread. Makes about 12-14 appetizer-sized servings.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7981
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 15:15:59 (permalink)
    I love the cranberry brie recipe.

We go a little further with it by putting it in a small loaf of sour dough that had the middle pulled out and adding diced pecans.

The pulled out bread can then be used for dipping, but we have small spreaders for that.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 16:09:07 (permalink)
    rumaki

Were you planning to oven-broil or pan-broil the scallops?  I love bacon-wrapped scallops, too, but in my house on Thanksgiving, there wouldn't be any spare oven space while the turkey is roasting.  (Or does your daughter deep fry her turkey outside?) 

Par-Cook the Bacon ahead of time, then wrap them and cook on the Grill outside. You need to keep an eye on them elst you will have Charcoal Scallops!
    " />" />
    moneypenny27
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 17:18:59 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus

emmymom

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

10 oz. shredded chicken
    1/2 cup hot sauce.

I make a similar dip.  But I had to change the name to Buff Chix CRACK.... because its that addictive.

Ingredients:
    8oz Cream Cheese
    5oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
    1 Bottle Ken's Steak House Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
    1 Bottle Ken's Steak House Buffalo Wing Sauce Marinade
    2 or 3 Cans of Chicken (like tuna but bigger)
    **optional**
    additional HOT sauce
    Crumbled Blue Cheese on top
    Shredded Mozzarella on top

Directions:

1.  Bring cream cheese come to room temp.  Spread on the bottom of a baking pan.

2.  Drain the chicken thoroughly, the drier the better.  In a bowl, break up the chicken with your hands.  Mix the chicken with as much of the Wing Sauce and additional hot sauce.

3.  Spread the chicken mixture into the pan.

4.  Combine the Dressing and Crumbles in a separate container.  Pour as much of this over the top of the pan as you'd like.

5.  Bake at 350 to 400 for about a half hour.... until it is "ooey gooey bubbly delicious"

Notes:

I add some Tabasco Habanero Sauce, this makes people eat it slower, so that it lasts longer.

I don't usually use the entire bottle of Wing Sauce.

I don't usually use the entire Blue Cheese mixture.

This sounds really good, but I make my own dressing/dip: blue cheese, equal parts mayo and sour cream, etc.  There shouldn't be a problem with mixing the mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream then baking?  I mean like the dip breaking down or something?

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/20 19:09:36 (permalink)
    Oven space is not a issue is Mamaw Smith lives next door and daughter lives across the street. Mamaw Smith has two ovens, I have one and daughter has one.  Thanks for all the great ideas.  I wish I could prepare all of them.  I am going to send the list to my daughter and let her select.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 00:15:46 (permalink)
    moneypenny27  
    This sounds really good, but I make my own dressing/dip: blue cheese, equal parts mayo and sour cream, etc.  There shouldn't be a problem with mixing the mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream then baking?  I mean like the dip breaking down or something?

No. In fact, we've made that buffalo wing dip several times & it actually turns out better with homemade ranch dressing (from the powder, or from the herbs & seasonings) made with real ingredients than it does with stuff from a bottle.

I'm doing the cooking, I think we might snack on dates with almonds or a pickle/olive tray.

Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 03:38:58 (permalink)
    we like hummus and pita chips... or a bean dip I make with bean with bacon soup, cream cheese, sweet hot mustard, garlic salt and ketchup...oh and a good dose of hot sauce.
    wookman8
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 07:30:47 (permalink)
    my favourite snack is sneaking bits of turkey
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1627
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 08:55:09 (permalink)
    Anyone know exactly when celery stalks filled with Cheese Whiz & dusted with paprika fell out of favor?
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 09:36:11 (permalink)
    Anyone know when celery stalks filled with Cheese Whiz & dusted with paprika were in favor? 

If celery, PB & raisins is Ants on a Log...is the above Logs on Fire?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 12:28:07 (permalink)
    cavandre

Anyone know exactly when celery stalks filled with Cheese Whiz & dusted with paprika fell out of favor?

Never heard of them made with Cheez Wiz. Only ones I've ever seen were made with Cream Cheese and I don't think they'll ever fall out of favor! PB & Raisins are still a kids favorite

claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 14:20:56 (permalink)
    My family LOVES turkey & all the fixings,especially the guys, & no one wants to spoil their appetite for dinner.

So, I just put out a relish tray-celery,carrots, radishes,green onions, oilves-back & green, pickles,pickled beets.  Just enough to keep the edge off not fill up to much before the dinner.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1627
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/22 20:31:18 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

Anyone know when celery stalks filled with Cheese Whiz & dusted with paprika were in favor? 

If celery, PB & raisins is Ants on a Log...is the above Logs on Fire?

Maybe Fire Ants on a Log?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/23 01:48:09 (permalink)
    claracamille

My family LOVES turkey & all the fixings,especially the guys, & no one wants to spoil their appetite for dinner.

So, I just put out a relish tray-celery,carrots, radishes,green onions, oilves-back & green, pickles,pickled beets.  Just enough to keep the edge off not fill up to much before the dinner.

Your Approach is the best one. Simple, light, non-filling and healthy!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/23 11:11:24 (permalink)
    Dave DeWitt from Fiery-Foods.com has this article in this weeks Newsletter for spicey Holiday Snacks:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/cooking-with-chiles/105-cooking-with-chiles-at-the-holidays/2812-sizzling-snacks-for-holiday-entertaining
    LMS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/23 11:34:28 (permalink)
    Couple of thoughts -

Seasoned Oyster Crackers - combine one bag of oyster crackers, one package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix, 1/3 to 1/2 cup of canola oil and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper (how much will depend on your heat preference), toss well and then bake at 250 for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.  Let cool and you're good to go and they're even better the next day.  

Bacon Appetizer Crescents - these are very tasty and can be assembled ahead of time
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
    1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion (red or white is fine)
    2 Tbls parsley
    1 Tbls milk
    2 cans (8oz) crescent dinner rolls

Preheat oven to 375
    Combine all ingredients but crescent rolls, set aside
    Roll out crescent rolls, divide along perforations, spread each roll with mixture, cut each roll into thirds (as if doing pigs in a blanket) and roll each wedge, starting at short end, place seam-side down on greased baking sheet
    Bake 12-15 minutes, until brown

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Snacks for pre Thanksgiving dinner 2009/11/23 12:02:39 (permalink)
    moneypenny27

I think what you're asking is if you can add your home made dressing to the cream cheese....  If that's the case; the answer is yes.  I like to do mine in layers, but I know that other people have adapted my recipe and made it as one big mix, including the chicken and wing sauce.  They mix it all together in a bowl and pour it into the baking dish.

I've never made blue cheese dressing from scratch.  I always start with a store bought dressing and add the fresh blue cheese crumbles.  It seems similar to what you do, just skipping a step.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1