The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Snacks that should be brought back

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 11, messages 121 to 150 of 323
phlmaestro2000

• Total Posts: 109
RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 02/5/07 6:57 PM (permalink)
Nabisco's brown-edged wafers

Also, it's not from that long ago, but I miss Ben & Jerry's Nutty Waffle Cone ice cream.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
    RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 02/5/07 7:10 PM (permalink)
    Pepsi Clear and Mallo Cups. I also was fond of Beeman's Clove gum, which I believe is still made, but a bear to find, and Tang. I don't even see GENERIC Tang

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 02/5/07 7:12 PM (permalink)
      Absolutely loved fizzies-my mouth just started watering..also,I would pay anything to get the Royal Crown sour cherry candy again...i have googled it to death with no luck.

Diner-Lover

• Total Posts: 246
        RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 02/5/07 9:24 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Ranger Steve

Fizzies need to be brought back. The originals were made with cyclamates, but once that artificial sweetner was banned, Fizzies were discontinued. Apparently, no other artificial sweetener holds together in tablet form.

I also grew up with Fizzies. I don't remember being that crazy about the taste; they seemed inferior to real soda like Coke or Pepsi to my 5 year-old palate. We get the Vermont Country Store catalogue fairly regularly and I thought I'd seen Fizzies for sale there. A search in their online catalogue shows they are available:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=32802&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=fizzies

Ranger Steve

• Total Posts: 30
          RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 02/6/07 11:31 PM (permalink)
          Every few years Clove and Blackjack gum show up in the stores. It's not a regular thing, though.

As to Fizzies, on second thought, I think I'll pass. I've come to realize that food that I liked as a kid doesn't thrill me anymore. A lot of kids' cereal, for example.

Cinnabonbon

• Total Posts: 149
            RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 02/7/07 1:52 AM (permalink)
            I miss:

Nabisco Chocolate Snaps
            Chocolate Babies, a chocolate flavored chewy candy.
            Beachnut Orange flavored gum
            Fruit stripe gum
            Lime Starburst candy
            Space Food Sticks the chocolate flavored ones

debdog42

• Total Posts: 36
              RE: Snacks that should be brought back Fri, 02/9/07 6:01 PM (permalink)
              I shop here and these are a great substiture for the Marathon bar:
              http://www.englishteastore.com/cnd003.html
              Sign up for the email list to get free shipping codes a few times a year.

Jadey

• Total Posts: 9
                RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 02/11/07 9:42 PM (permalink)
                Tostitos nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips
                O'Boises Potato Chips
                Marathon Bar (Caramel Candy bar)
                Nesbitt Blue Cream Soda
                Jewel (Grocery Store) Brand Jalapeno Cheddar tortilla chips
                KFC Chicken Littles and KFc Chicken Nuggets (my favorite fast food ever!)

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                  RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 02/11/07 9:55 PM (permalink)
                  Poole Brothers' Chinese Mustard flavored potato chips. I wish some of the other potato chip firms who are looking for new flavors to bring out would introduce this one.

XanaJew

• Total Posts: 42
                    RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 02/18/07 4:12 PM (permalink)
                    Buckwheats cereal
                    Honey Nut Corn Flakes
                    Sour Cream n' Onion Doritos
                    Bold n' Spicy BBQ Doritos
                    Fritos Ranch
                    Reggie Bar
                    Bar None
                    McD's Arch Deluxe
                    McD's Chili n' Cheese burger
                    Pup n' Taco
                    Prego Meatball Parmesan
                    Mrs. GoodCookie
                    PB & Choc Lovers Reese's
                    PB Snickers
                    Choc Nutter Butters
                    Sara Lee Choc Pound Cake

cinows

• Total Posts: 2
                      RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 02/28/07 4:48 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by SherriKatt

Kraft fudgies
                      Whip n Chill
                      7Up Bars
                      Chum Gum
                      Wax harmonicas

[font=Times New Roman][/font=Times New Roman]

cinows

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 02/28/07 4:57 AM (permalink)
                        I'm looking for Kraft fudgies or something close...anyone know of a close substitute?

just_jellin

• Total Posts: 1
                          RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sat, 03/3/07 11:16 PM (permalink)
                          I love the taco flavored doritos the last time i had those i got them in tennessee, these taco ones today are not as good as the old ones.
                          I have a few sites here if some of you want to check them out one is sodapopstop.com you can go there and they sell the 16 ounce glass bottles of pepsi, coke, mountain dew and lots of other soda pops that were from the past some of these are around 2 dollars a bottle. Thinking about getting some myself.
                          The other is oldfashionedcandyshop.com you can get all kinds of things on this site they have the kitts taffy, slow pokes, bottle caps, pixy stix, and lots of others.
                          ALso for the person who wanted dreamsicles--wal-mart has them seen them today and sixlets you can get them at dollar tree
                          there used to be another site that i went on candydepot I think was the name but they had lots of the old fashioned candy and penny candies. Hope any of this helps some of you out.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                            RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 03/5/07 10:45 AM (permalink)
                            Chocodiles disappeared sometime about 15 years ago (living in New Jersey) then I moved to New Mexico, and they have suddenly reappeared, albiet, in limited locations, like my Pic Quick convenience store. Therefore, I've been blissfully reunited with my favorite pastry (sort of). I wonder what the mystery behind these delicious snacks is?

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
                              RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 03/5/07 11:21 AM (permalink)
                              Chocolate babies were the best- probably gone because of all the Civil Rights things that have come up in the past 50 years- not politically correct. But there are still Necco wafers and dots on paper- and Mary Janes- most larger locales have a "touristy" area and there are novelty candy stores (usually) located there. In Dallas, it's in the West End Market Place- and old fashioned candy store with everything in barrels- all the candy from when we were all much younger- even the root beer in wax and wax lips and mustaches-so check out your local area and see if there isn't a candy store like that within driving distance.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 03/5/07 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                I thought chocolate babies disappeared because they didn't taste anything like chocolate, or anything else anyone would want to eat, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if they're like the inedible ones I grew up with, but Yummies of Maine, one of those tourist (actually outlet shopping) area candy stores you mention, says they have chocolate babies. http://www.yummies.com/

Search for chocolate babies.

thebigcat

• Total Posts: 3
                                  RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 03/18/07 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                  I realize that Drake's snacks are still made today; but I'd like to see the REAL Drake's snacks brought back, not the ones of today which give me the impression of eating flavored plastic covered with chocolate-flavored chalk. I remember when Drake's made cream-filled cupcakes, with real devil's food cake, cream filling that tasted real, and a delicious chocolate coating. They then introduced a golden cake version, with a light brown chocolate coating. I remember the first Ring Dings; they were about 5 inches in diameter, about an inch thick, and were made to the same standards as were the cupcakes.

The last time that I remember seeing any of these good old snacks was in the spring of 1971, in Northfield, VT where I was a sophomore at Norwich University. A corner grocery store in town had a box of golden Ring Dings; so I bought the box, gorged myself on them... and then never found them again.

The main competition was from Hostess. Their cupcakes were equally as good as Drakes, and it was often a matter of spur-of-the-moment choice which one I got, although Drake's probably prevailed a bit.

Annoyingly, I now live in Dorchester, MA, about a 5-minute drive from the site of the old Drake's bakery in Roxbury. I get ravenous cravings for the old snacks every time I take my daughter to school.

Foxyfishy14

• Total Posts: 192
                                    RE: Snacks that should be brought back Fri, 07/6/07 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                    I Didn't know that Hostess at one time made their cupcakes filled with pudding???!! That is like a dream come true for me! I would also like to see Keebler Grasshopper cookies come back as well as Nestle Coconut Treasures Candies! I just recently found Jell-O Pudding Pops and I can't wait to try them again! I wish they would also bring back Jell-O Pudding Pies..or Hostess..whoever had them needs to bring them back..as well as Chili Cheese Fritos...the BBQ ones are somewhat close...but not quite the same.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                                      RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 07/8/07 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                      Fan Tan gum

Van de Kamps Dutch Girl Cookies. I think that was the name, flakey rectagles with large crystal sugar on top. drool!

Mini appetizer size frozen tacos

Inner Beauty Real Hot Hot Sauce! (I know this doesn't belong here, but It makes some snacks worth it)

Wampum chips

Foxyfishy14

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 07/8/07 9:50 PM (permalink)
                                        I just thought of one more...does anyone remember microwave smores? They came all pre-packed and all you had to do was pop them in the microwave and then you had a bunch of campfire chocolatey goodness! I miss those so much...the only thing that even comes close is smores flavored pop tarts. Man I miss being a kid in the 80s!

Big Ugly Mich

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 07/9/07 3:47 AM (permalink)
                                          The only problem I have with Smores is I can only finish 2 on my best day, so all those marshmallows get rock hard before we grill out again. Pre-packaging may be an idea whose time has come back.

stephiegirl

• Total Posts: 132
                                            RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 07/10/07 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                            I used to love the pre-packaged smores when they were available. When I used to babysit for a little boy his mom would bring them as a snack and I used to sneak one every once in a while. Big Ugly Mich if you are from MI then I'm surprised you can't find Mallo Cups and Tang. I live in the thumb and you can find both very easily. Thank goodness because I love them both, especially those marshmallow filled treasures.

SgtHulka

• Total Posts: 30
                                              RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 07/10/07 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                              How about the big Chareleston Chews?
                                              Also Tangy Taffy.

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                                                RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 07/10/07 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                                1. Keebler french vanilla cremes. "Golden" Oreos are good, but they're no substitute.

2. Tru-Aid. Ahh, the (non-carbonated) sodas of my youth!

Miss Cotton Candy

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/11/07 2:00 AM (permalink)
                                                  OK, I'm adding yet another Doo Dads vote. No snack mix will ever be as good as them. Also throwing in another for the microwave S'mores.

I have been hunting for Gatorade gm, I think it came in orange, lemon-lime, and fruit punch. Used to be sold in places like Sports Authority and other sorts places. Nothing here of the sorts anywhere in Gainesville FL. home of the ade itself.

I miss the original fruit snack, Fun Fruits - they were kinda elongated, round edgdes tringle shapes. Yummy! Grape was my fave.

Big Ugly Mich

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/11/07 2:16 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by stephiegirlBig Ugly Mich if you are from MI then I'm surprised you can't find Mallo Cups and Tang. I live in the thumb and you can find both very easily.
                                                    My last name is Mich****. I'm from SE Wisconsin, right between Milwaukee and Chicago, but you'd have to head about 15 miles off the Interstate to get to the town I live in.

Foxyfishy14

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/11/07 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                                      Rbpalmer: Are you referring to the Keebler Vienna Fingers Creme cookies? They still make those...at least in New England they are still available...or am I completely wrong in thinking that's what you're talking about?

kisscat69

• Total Posts: 33
                                                        • Location: Fayetteville, GA
                                                        RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 07/17/07 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                                        i miss Chocolate Milkshake Bars and a unique Washington DC candy sold mostly thru Woodies Department Stores called Valaties Candies

kisscat69

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 07/17/07 1:10 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by rbpalmer

1. Keebler french vanilla cremes. "Golden" Oreos are good, but they're no substitute.

2. Tru-Aid. Ahh, the (non-carbonated) sodas of my youth!

walmart in some areas have them and some of the really big ciain supermarkets have them.i've been able to find them in WV and GA

kisscat69

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Tue, 07/17/07 1:12 AM (permalink)
                                                            [

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 11, messages 121 to 150 of 323

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com