Hot!Snacks that should be brought back

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
sjardine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2007/01/28 22:26:00
  • Location: El Cajon, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/17 01:22:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ginger9909

Pizza Spins
Suppers
Kelloggs Danish Go Rounds
Taco flavored Doritos
Frozen Sara Lee Cupcakes
Buitoni Toaster Pizza
Sears candy counter malted milk balls
Chocolite
Summit Bars
Mars Bars (original from 70s or early 80s with the 3 whole almonds on top)
Wacky Packages





OMG! These were THE best EVER!!!!!!
SherriKatt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Joined: 2006/12/10 02:06:00
  • Location: andover, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/18 14:42:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

Pepsi Clear and Mallo Cups. I also was fond of Beeman's Clove gum, which I believe is still made, but a bear to find, and Tang. I don't even see GENERIC Tang


Hi Big Ugly,
here ya go for the Clove Gum kiddo!

www.oldtimecandy.com/black-jack-beemans-clove-gum.htm

Happy Chewing!
SherriKatt
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8356
  • Joined: 2006/05/21 06:45:00
  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/19 09:25:51 (permalink)
One of my favorite snacks was recently brought back by Planters-dry roasted cashews.I am a happy girl....
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
  • Joined: 2005/01/26 14:19:00
  • Location: Wenatchee, WA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/28 17:46:44 (permalink)
Dry roasted cashews are back? Oh no! There goes the budget!


Two snacks I wish were brought back have only recently been taken off the
market and that is Bacon Thins and Swiss Cheese crackers by Nabisco, those
were my family's favorites of all the crackers. And I don't know what they
did to the Vegetable Thins recipe recently but they're awful!
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Joined: 2004/08/19 21:00:00
  • Location: Albany, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/28 18:48:43 (permalink)
My favorite snack as a youth was beyond compare, it was cold, it was crunchy, it was colorful, very tasty and best of all, my usually conservative parents let me eat all I wanted.

This snack is still available, but most parents and kids do not consider it a snack.Most people call it celery and it still can be found in the produce department.
nicolem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Joined: 2007/07/24 12:33:00
  • Location: Laconia, NH
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/30 17:23:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John In Seattle

Here are some of mine I am sure to think of more later:

Willy Wonka Scrunch bar, it was kind of like a 5th Ave bar, but way better.

Willy Wonka Oompas – the original ones that were like M&M’s - they were filled with chocolate and peanut butter.

The ORIGINAL Plain M&M’s - they changed the chocolate in the 90’s – I REALLY miss them.

Taco flavor Doritos.















Pizza Spins. I really miss those.

Coca-Cola and ALL sodas in returnable GLASS bottles made with real SUGAR not High Fructose corn syrup – I have to pay two dollars for a Mexican coke in Seattle, if I can even find one and there still are not as good as I recall.

Nabisco Chocolate Snaps. I gave up looking for them.

Mothers brand angel food chocolate chip cookies.

The original "Sports Shake" drink made my Mid America farms,it was available in chocolate,vanilla or strawberry - it was super rich. But they changed the product to make it lower in fat awhile back and now it is not at all the same.

McDonalds FRIED hot apple pie – they bake them now and they are not nearly as good.

Chocolate Ovaltine from Chicago – The mix used to look like coffee crystals, and was a totally different product from what is sold as Ovaltine now. I used to be able to get the original kind that was made in England, but I heard they are not making it anymore. I have found some from Thailand, but it is not quite the same.

PDQ – made by Ovaltine from Chicago.

Chef Boyardee’s cheese ravioli in a can – a great comfort food from my childhood – I can’t find it anywhere anymore.

Delaware punch. I have seen that you can get the concentrate for it out of Mexico.

The original Corn Nuts, if you want to know how they used to be, click here: http://www.inkacrops.com/snacks/info_box/inkacorn_4oz.htm

Bosco syrup, still made, but not sold in my area.

TEAM Flakes cereal, made by General Mills.

Iranian pistachios. I get Turkish ones from Zenobia, but the Iranian ones are the best.

Russell Stover french milk chocolate bar.


For an extensive list of discontinued foods, click here: http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/btwgb.asp











John-they sell Kosher Coke and Pepsi in the grocery stores during Passover. They do not use glass bottles but it is made with sugar. I read an article that a lot of people who are not Jewish pick it up for that reason. Try and remember to pick some up next Passover as it sells out quickly.

Nicole
nicolem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Joined: 2007/07/24 12:33:00
  • Location: Laconia, NH
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/30 17:31:11 (permalink)
Does anyone remember Assorted Puffs? They were flat sheets of dough- one sheet was bacon flavored, one was cheese flavored and one was onion flavored. You baked them and they rose and puffed up. I loved these-cannot find them anywhere.

Also, what about Merry Mint Cookies? They were around Christmas time maybe made by Archway? They were round and were pepermint and were yummy too.

I also liked Reggie Bars.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
  • Joined: 2004/01/12 10:16:00
  • Location: Trevor, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/30 17:49:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nicolem Also, what about Merry Mint Cookies? They were around Christmas time maybe made by Archway? They were round and were pepermint and were yummy too.
I know these aren't cookies, but still: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=309402&TOPIC_ID=5308&FORUM_ID=19
nicolem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Joined: 2007/07/24 12:33:00
  • Location: Laconia, NH
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/07/31 06:31:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
Originally posted by nicolem Also, what about Merry Mint Cookies? They were around Christmas time maybe made by Archway? They were round and were pepermint and were yummy too.
I know these aren't cookies, but still: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=309402&TOPIC_ID=5308&FORUM_ID=19



It looks like something I would like to try. Thanks.
KIMMYJ1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Joined: 2006/02/03 10:20:00
  • Location: Flint, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/06 11:23:06 (permalink)
I was in Tawas, Michigan this weekend and found FUDGIES... not Kraft but the next best thing and only $2.09/LB. They have a great bulk section with lots of other candies, nuts and snacks you don't find just everywhere. For example, every kind of black licorice treat that you can imagine and pepitas (reminiscent of sunflower nuts).
The grocery store is located on the main street going through Tawas and I believe the name is "Neiman's Market".
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
  • Joined: 2007/08/14 13:53:00
  • Location: Macungie, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/22 16:12:28 (permalink)
My first job was in a supermarket and the dairy section had these shakes in a can, Borden possibly. They were great when they were ice cold, I used to sneak them all the time when I was working and probably did more than my share to the place going out of business. I don't remember seeing them in years. You used to be able to get coffee and chocolate soda, in the summer we'd make ice cream sodas with them.
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
  • Joined: 2007/08/14 13:53:00
  • Location: Macungie, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/22 16:25:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mland520

Chocolate babies were the best- probably gone because of all the Civil Rights things that have come up in the past 50 years- not politically correct. But there are still Necco wafers and dots on paper- and Mary Janes- most larger locales have a "touristy" area and there are novelty candy stores (usually) located there. In Dallas, it's in the West End Market Place- and old fashioned candy store with everything in barrels- all the candy from when we were all much younger- even the root beer in wax and wax lips and mustaches-so check out your local area and see if there isn't a candy store like that within driving distance.

I worked in a touristy country store type place in the early 90's and we sold penny candy including chocolate babies. One charming old gentleman told me that they used to call them n****r babies.
nicolem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Joined: 2007/07/24 12:33:00
  • Location: Laconia, NH
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/22 17:09:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwingking

My first job was in a supermarket and the dairy section had these shakes in a can, Borden possibly. They were great when they were ice cold, I used to sneak them all the time when I was working and probably did more than my share to the place going out of business. I don't remember seeing them in years. You used to be able to get coffee and chocolate soda, in the summer we'd make ice cream sodas with them.


Oh my gosh- I loved these! I think they might have been Borden.
Quartz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Joined: 2007/08/18 18:44:00
  • Location: Detroit, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 13:21:58 (permalink)
This topic is WAYYYYY too broad.

They're so many snacks that should be brought back that it couldn't fit into one whole topic.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
  • Joined: 2007/02/12 13:59:00
  • Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 14:39:55 (permalink)
Big Ugly, you can make your smores so easily in the house! Just put the chocolate on a graham cracker and toast the marshmallow over a stove burner! Or, you can put three mini marshmallows on a cracker and mic them for 20 seconds or so. When you put the chocolate on and cover it with the other cracker, the chocolate will melt.

I also miss the waffle cheese sandwiches that came in a tube. My mom used to serve them to her bridge club in the '40s or '50s.

Another one I miss is the cookie that had a mound of marshmallow on top with a spoonful of jelly in the middle and the whole thing was coated with chocolate. Anyone remember those?

djmsalem
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Joined: 2007/05/18 06:02:00
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 14:52:02 (permalink)
Callard & Bowser's Butterscotch
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Joined: 2007/07/17 00:53:00
  • Location: Fayetteville, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 14:56:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lynndunham

Big Ugly, you can make your smores so easily in the house! Just put the chocolate on a graham cracker and toast the marshmallow over a stove burner! Or, you can put three mini marshmallows on a cracker and mic them for 20 seconds or so. When you put the chocolate on and cover it with the other cracker, the chocolate will melt.

I also miss the waffle cheese sandwiches that came in a tube. My mom used to serve them to her bridge club in the '40s or '50s.

Another one I miss is the cookie that had a mound of marshmallow on top with a spoonful of jelly in the middle and the whole thing was coated with chocolate. Anyone remember those?


I don't know if these might be the same thing but here in Georgia they make something called Cheese Waffies and they come in a bag or box and they are 2 waffle crisps alittle smaller than a half dollar with cheese in the middle. Martins and some other snack companies make them
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Joined: 2007/07/17 00:53:00
  • Location: Fayetteville, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 14:58:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by djmsalem

Callard & Bowser's Butterscotch
I loved the toffee better
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Joined: 2007/07/17 00:53:00
  • Location: Fayetteville, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 14:59:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwingking

quote:
Originally posted by mland520

Chocolate babies were the best- probably gone because of all the Civil Rights things that have come up in the past 50 years- not politically correct. But there are still Necco wafers and dots on paper- and Mary Janes- most larger locales have a "touristy" area and there are novelty candy stores (usually) located there. In Dallas, it's in the West End Market Place- and old fashioned candy store with everything in barrels- all the candy from when we were all much younger- even the root beer in wax and wax lips and mustaches-so check out your local area and see if there isn't a candy store like that within driving distance.

I worked in a touristy country store type place in the early 90's and we sold penny candy including chocolate babies. One charming old gentleman told me that they used to call them n****r babies.
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Joined: 2007/07/17 00:53:00
  • Location: Fayetteville, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 15:01:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kisscat69

quote:
Originally posted by chickenwingking

quote:
Originally posted by mland520

Chocolate babies were the best- probably gone because of all the Civil Rights things that have come up in the past 50 years- not politically correct. But there are still Necco wafers and dots on paper- and Mary Janes- most larger locales have a "touristy" area and there are novelty candy stores (usually) located there. In Dallas, it's in the West End Market Place- and old fashioned candy store with everything in barrels- all the candy from when we were all much younger- even the root beer in wax and wax lips and mustaches-so check out your local area and see if there isn't a candy store like that within driving distance.

I worked in a touristy country store type place in the early 90's and we sold penny candy including chocolate babies. One charming old gentleman told me that they used to call them n****r babies.

try cracker barrel or look for a link on food network .com for the web address for the worlds largest penny candy store they might have them .
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
  • Joined: 2007/02/12 13:59:00
  • Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 15:03:07 (permalink)
Kisscat, thanks! I don't think that brand sells in Arizona but I'll keep my eyes open for it - would love to have them again.
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
  • Joined: 2005/10/27 11:52:00
  • Location: Huntsville, AL
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 15:17:12 (permalink)
Mitch - I just bought some powdered Tang (in a plastic jar, not glass like it used to be) at my local Wal-Mart. It was located with the powdered juices (such as Kool-Aid, etc.) and was on a bottom shelf. Though, I have looked for it before at Wal-Mart and have not always found it.
LeeMargo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Joined: 2006/12/08 15:46:00
  • Location: Thorofare, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/23 16:14:59 (permalink)
Hershey's mint choc. chip candy bar
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
  • Joined: 2004/01/12 10:16:00
  • Location: Trevor, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/24 13:24:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lynndunham Big Ugly, you can make your smores so easily in the house! Just put the chocolate on a graham cracker and toast the marshmallow over a stove burner! Or, you can put three mini marshmallows on a cracker and mic them for 20 seconds or so. When you put the chocolate on and cover it with the other cracker, the chocolate will melt.
That's all true, but the problem is: on my best day, I'll eat two smores. I don't need a bag of marshmallows minus one or two drying before I want another smore, so bring back the one~at~a~time kits.
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Joined: 2007/03/23 21:53:00
  • Location: washington, DC
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/24 13:31:10 (permalink)
Pop Tarts in the early nineties had a chocolate pastry poptart with vanilla filling and vanilla (or white whatever flavor - oh no I think they said white fudge) frosting. Gone for years, Now they have oreo, hot fudge sunday and one other that look like they could be the old treat, but they taste very different.
nyn8ive
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Joined: 2004/11/17 19:02:00
  • Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/26 13:36:48 (permalink)
Bonamos Turkish Taffy
seanpmi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Joined: 2007/08/27 15:33:00
  • Location: Hollywood, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/27 15:44:21 (permalink)
Seven Up Candy Bar...now that's what I miss. It was like having a box of chocolates in just a candy bar...seven different centers.
I also miss Sunshine Oatmeal Peanut Butter cookies.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
  • Location: Any City, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/27 18:08:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nicolem

quote:
Originally posted by chickenwingking

My first job was in a supermarket and the dairy section had these shakes in a can, Borden possibly. They were great when they were ice cold, I used to sneak them all the time when I was working and probably did more than my share to the place going out of business. I don't remember seeing them in years. You used to be able to get coffee and chocolate soda, in the summer we'd make ice cream sodas with them.


Oh my gosh- I loved these! I think they might have been Borden.


I don't think I know the Borden ones in the can...but does anyone remember something similar in the 80s called "Shake-Ups"? They came in Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla (and maybe coffee too) in a small cardboard container that looked much like a carton of milk.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
  • Location: Any City, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/08/27 18:12:58 (permalink)
For the people that want to make their own smores here is a recipe that goes over really well at any party I've been to:

Hobo Smores:

What you need:

Jet Puffed Large Marshmallows
Wooden Skewer sticks
Graham Crackers
1 can of Chocolate Frosting

Melt the can of chocolate frosting in a microwave safe bowl in intervals of 30 seconds until the frosting is warm to touch.

Insert the wooden skewer sticks into one side of each marshmallow.

In a large plastic ziploc bag, crush the graham crackers and then pour them onto a plate.

Dip the marshmallows into the melted chocolate frosting (remember to let excess drip off) and then roll the sides and bottom of the dipped marshmallow in the crushed graham crackers. Arrange on large plate and refrigerate for 1 hour.

These may not be "traditional" smores but they sure do taste amazing!

tooslimnc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Joined: 2007/09/25 18:06:00
  • Location: Charlotte , NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2007/09/25 21:35:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by thebigcat

I realize that Drake's snacks are still made today; but I'd like to see the REAL Drake's snacks brought back, not the ones of today which give me the impression of eating flavored plastic covered with chocolate-flavored chalk. I remember when Drake's made cream-filled cupcakes, with real devil's food cake, cream filling that tasted real, and a delicious chocolate coating. They then introduced a golden cake version, with a light brown chocolate coating. I remember the first Ring Dings; they were about 5 inches in diameter, about an inch thick, and were made to the same standards as were the cupcakes.

The last time that I remember seeing any of these good old snacks was in the spring of 1971, in Northfield, VT where I was a sophomore at Norwich University. A corner grocery store in town had a box of golden Ring Dings; so I bought the box, gorged myself on them... and then never found them again.

The main competition was from Hostess. Their cupcakes were equally as good as Drakes, and it was often a matter of spur-of-the-moment choice which one I got, although Drake's probably prevailed a bit.

Annoyingly, I now live in Dorchester, MA, about a 5-minute drive from the site of the old Drake's bakery in Roxbury. I get ravenous cravings for the old snacks every time I take my daughter to school.



Oh, yes! Drakes, GOD will punish you! I used to ADORE Drakes Funny Bones. I could eat a whole box Yes, I know they still make them but now they use all cheap ingredients. They used to fill them with REAL, great tasting peanut butter with a dark chocolate coating on the devils food cake. Now it's some tan, ersatz-peanut, foam-like filling. <sigh>
I also miss the Royal Crown sour cherry hard candies, they were a fabulous cherry flavor.
My husband misses Marathon Bars.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1