Snappy Lunch

Author
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
2004/01/19 11:09:06 (permalink)

Snappy Lunch

I've been told Snappy Lunch in Mt Airy, NC is closed. Is this true? I can find nothing either way.

12 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/19 11:33:41 (permalink)
    I hope not! The Snappy Lunch is on my roadfood "wish list"! As popular as it is with the locals and tourists during Mayberry days, it seems like it would not have to close. Unless something happened to the owner and no one wanted to take over I suppose.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/19 16:25:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drpep

I've been told Snappy Lunch in Mt Airy, NC is closed. Is this true? I can find nothing either way.

I sure hope it isn't closed, but I would not be surprised. The proprietor has been closing early for some years now - at 1:15 p.m. (or maybe it's 1:30). I raced to Mt. Airy for lunch the past two summers from a conference in SW Virginia that concluded on a Saturday morning, and both times I arrived just minutes after the door was locked.

It is on my list again this summer, unless....

Postscript: The Snappy Lunch phone number is 336-786-4931.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/19 18:07:23 (permalink)
    I sure hope it's still open! Got there last year - the specialty sandwich is big, good, and cheap; the building itself is really cool, and the proprietor is one of the nicest guys I've met running a restaurant.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/19 22:24:04 (permalink)
    I just emailed our question about Snappy Lunch to the ever helpful Mt. Airy C. of C. folk. Having communicated with them several times in recent years, I expect they'll reply rather quickly.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 10:06:44 (permalink)
    Good News for all Humankind

Kids, I asked the Mt. Airy C. of C. about reports that Snappy Lunch had closed. Here's their reply, which came about 9:30 this morning:

Dear Jim,

You can put your fears aside. Snappy Lunch is still open for business.

For more info/hrs. etc., click on this link: http://www.visitmayberry.com/detailsnorthcarolina.asp?BusinessID=58&BusinessCategoryID=85

Sincerely,
    Julie S. Pharr, Tourism Coordinator
    Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 10:16:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim! There is still hope.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 10:29:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vince Macek

I sure hope it's still open! Got there last year - the specialty sandwich is big, good, and cheap; the building itself is really cool, and the proprietor is one of the nicest guys I've met running a restaurant.

Glad you made it, Vince. If I get there this July, I may be the only person to make 3 long-distance trips for their first sandwich!

It better be good.

When traveling North Carolina last summer, I was told Opray Winfrey visited Snappy Lunch specifically to try the pork chop sandwich. I heard the story three, maybe four times, and every single newsbearer said, "The sandwich was so good, Opray ate two."

I cannot wait to eat two, and grab one for the road.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 11:07:31 (permalink)
    No one will be disappointed!!!!

The Snappy Lunch is an all-time great Roadfood (and American) Experience not to be missed. Go while you can! Do not less this pass you by!!

Mt. Airy is a magical town---plan on taking an hour-long walk down Main Street before or after, and pick up some regional sodas at one of several stores. (There's even Snappy Merchandise for sale across the street).

Charles the counterman has been at the Snappy for over fifty years and is a true delight! Get your picture taken with him. Get your picture taken behind the counter as you hold up a giant pork chop!!!

And as charming as all of this sounds...the sandwich is even better!!!

JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 19:13:28 (permalink)
    Great report, stanpnepa. I wrote 2 letters to Mt. Airy Monday night, and here is the 2nd friendly reply:

Dear Jim,

Had one of those pork chop sandwiches just yesterday and it was delicious!! No, the Snappy Lunch is very much in business. Their hours are Mon.- Wed 5:45 - 1:45, Thurs., 5:45 - 1:15, Friday 5:45 - 1:45 and Saturday 5:45 - 1:15 and they are closed on Sunday.

Do come by our Mount Airy Visitors Center when you come to town. We are located in a blue, historic home at 615 North Main Street in the Downtown Business District. We house the Andy Griffith Museum inside along with other exhibits and show a 15 minute orientation video. There is no admission fee so the price is right. Our hours are: Monday - Saturday from 9 - 5 and Sunday from 11:00 to 4:30.

Thank you for your interest in our little town. We look forward to welcoming you this summer to the closest thing to Mayberry on this planet!!

Let us know if you would like for us to send you an information packet or you can check us out on www.visitmayberry.com.

Sincerely,
    Ann

Ann L. Vaughn, Executive Director
    Mount Airy Visitors Center
    615 North Main Street
    Mount Airy, North Carolina 27030
    1-800-576-0231
    Fax: 336-786-9193
    visitandy@visitmountairy.com
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 19:23:57 (permalink)
    Lone Star, I feel like we dodged a bullet. Mr. Dowell has been at the Snappy Lunch helm since 1951. I don't know how much longer he'll continue. His hours are much shorter now than in 1999.

Lord's will, I will get there this summer on the last Saturday of July. And people will say, "Jim liked the sandwich so much, he ate two."
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 19:28:49 (permalink)
    JimInKy: I like the way you think and the way you act. Nothing like getting things out the way they should be. Glad to see that they are still open. You bird-dogged it real good.

I have never been there and would like to go.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Snappy Lunch 2004/01/20 21:21:26 (permalink)
    JimInKy,
    My thanks go to you for your great reporting job!
    I'd imagine that Snappy Lunch puts out a good breakfast, and might even make a real nice livermush sandwich the way it had ought to be done.
    Snappy Lunch is one of those institutions that will pass to someone else who cares enough to keep it alive and like it is. I would bet its demise is not for the foreseeable future... even if the M. & M. Sandwich Shop in Davidson, N. C. did close when Murray died and Mary retired, the Snappy will continue to snap on indefinitely.
    Similar to a radio station in Mount Airy - WPAQ-AM, 740 on the dial. The format has been strictly traditional country and bluegrass, with even some old-time music since it began. A fellow named Epperson has owned the station ever since it went on the air in 1947, and - last time I checked - was still there, hosting programs and working on the air, well into his 80's. The other local station is almost as venerable.
    And, speaking of "food towns," lovely Toast, N. C. is right down the road.
    Rerunningly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1