Hot!Snoots, Slingers & Saints

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10225
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 17:27:55 (permalink)
Sunday February 3

For breakfast, I arrived at O.T. Hodge

in the north suburb of Ferguson just as they were opening at 8:30AM.

O.T. Hodge used to be a chain of chili parlors that dates back to 1904 and at its peak, had 17 restaurants in the St. Louis area. Eventually, they all closed down and this one was just built a few years ago.

For breakfast, I wanted to try another slinger.

Since I knew I still had lots of food to eat later in the day, I went for the 1/2 slinger, which means you get one cheeseburger patty and one egg instead of two. The chile is the typical Midwest beanless chile and although I thought it was quite good, I definitely preferred The Wilbur at Connelly's Goody Goody Diner.

There were many other really interesting items on the menu here and would certainly like to come back and try some more of them.

http://www.othodge.com/overview.html

With some time to do a little sightseeing, I headed downtown. This was my first chance to check out the new baseball stadium.

This place is massive and seems to be ideally situated in the middle of downtown. I have only ever attended one Cardinal home game and that was the last year of the old Busch Stadium, so I was able to look over and see the new one being built. I would really like to return this summer to St. Louis to see a game.

I had about an hour to walk around downtown seeing some sights and of course, I have to include at least one photo of the Arch!

Soon, it was time for my next destination to open, so I got back in my car and headed north.

More to come.....

Edited to correct what the difference between a slinger and 1/2 slinger is.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3966
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 17:49:26 (permalink)
Great report as always, BB. But I don't know if I can wait-------what's a snoot?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 18:45:46 (permalink)
EdSails-
Unfortunately, snoots (spelled snouts on the menu) are exactly what you think they are.
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 19:15:25 (permalink)
Well HOLY CANNOLI. I too am waiting on "snoot"s... but in the meantime I second ALL the superlatives.

Also:
1. The lobster mac & cheese looks fantastic! (Since I complimented the RoD on the lobster benedict the other day, this is another that would be high on my list to try!)

2. Carbondale: I'll send a separate email about it but I want to say that I attempted to visit Mary Lou's in 2006. I drove like a batouttahhell to get there by closing time, and pulled up at 5 til [3??] and they were locking up because they were empty. I was SO sad. I asked for a recommendation, started driving to it and realized it was too far away - I was that hungry. And by then my only choice was a supermarket (though fwiw it was a fantastic supermarket, I forget the name).

3. I want to try a St Paul sandwich now!!!
cecif
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 19:17:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

wanderingjew wrote:===Next thing I know they're going to be serving Lobster Rolls in Natchez Mississippi!===

They do. It's called a crawfish po'boy. The truth of the matter is crawfish are nothing more than lobsters who have walked down the Misissippi. By the time they get there, that's what they look like.

Duh! NO WONDER I adore crawfish po'boys!!! I am a HUGE lobster roll fan. I never actually associated the two in the taste bud compartment of my brain.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 20:00:06 (permalink)
Sunday February 3 cont.

I was the first person in the door at Crown Candy Kitchen

when they opened at 11:00AM. Located in a bit of a rough neighborhood, I'm not 100% sure I would come here at night by myself. But this is my third visit during the day and I have always felt safe.

Walking through the front door is like taking a step back in time.

And they do have plenty of candy for sale,

but most come here for the homemade ice cream. Here is a list of the flavors available

and from what I have seen, they don't change too much. Lots of great options on how you want your ice cream.

After looking around and taking lots of photos, I finally settled down in one of the old, white booths and ordered a hot fudge sundae.

This sundae was a three scooper, with good hot fudge and whipped cream. But the highlight was the sweet toasted pecans.

Since there is always room for a little more ice cream, I went ahead and ordered a chocolate malt and added a banana.

There is a solid three glasses worth of malt in that silver beaker. And this malt, with the pulverized banana in it is STRONG! Definitely not for the ice cream faint of heart.

After taking a few more photos, I headed out the door for my final stop.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=297&RefID=297

More to come and snoots finally make an appearance.....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 20:09:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cecif

1. The lobster mac & cheese looks fantastic! (Since I complimented the RoD on the lobster benedict the other day, this is another that would be high on my list to try!)

Since I had both of those dishes, I can tell you the lobster benedict at Porthole was vastly superior!
cecif
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 20:21:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Since I had both of those dishes, I can tell you the lobster benedict at Porthole was vastly superior!

Oh maaaaan. My eyes get greener every day!!!
Leania_1stone
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 20:23:38 (permalink)
This is amazing I wanted to go to Bissingers AND crown candy kitchen as well my friend Linda that I'm going up there to see said Bissingers is amazing she loves the chocolate covered blackberries but she said it was very expensive so it was definately a treat she only could have once in a while and she is taking us to Ted Drewes while we are up there I'm just excited about the whole trip and I am very excited to see what else is in store with this report because so far you are hitting just about everywhere I wanted to go already lol :)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 21:53:09 (permalink)
Sunday February 3 cont.

My final stop was C & K Barbecue.

I noticed that the sign has a #3 listed after the word barbecue. Did there used to be three of them?

I got there a little early and had to wait outside until they opened at noon. The one woman I was talking to said that she was picking up bbq for her sick friend and then she had to be in Illinois by 1:00 to play bingo! So when the doors finally opened, we let her go first.

One of the options on the menu here is the pig ear sandwich and although I consider myself a somewhat adventurous eater, I'm not quite that adventurous! Still, I did order the combo dinner, which is snoots (spelled snouts on the menu board) and rib tips

along with sides of baked beans

and potato salad.

I have to admit, the snoots looked nothing like I thought that they would,

although I'm not really sure what I was expecting. They have a somewhat crispy exterior (I'm assuming they are fried) and really didn't taste too bad. Still, I only ate two of them and I much preferred the delicious rib tips. The thin, sweet barbecue sauce was especially good and they give you four pieces of white bread to mop up the sauce. I did buy a bottle of the sauce to take home.

The baked beans didn't make much of an impression, but the potato salad was rather odd. It had more of a consistency of whipped potatoes, with smaller chunks of potato in it and was quite good.

I washed it all down with an orange soda.

By the way, everything is take-out and I ate mine in my car in the parking lot.

After finishing my meal, I drove straight to the airport and was home by the second quarter of the Super Bowl.

Thanks again to everyone for reading this trip report!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 21:58:40 (permalink)
Chocolate and Bananananana

Crown is an awesome place, my fav is the hot fudge split, gee BB more chocolate and banananas

Snoots after chocolate and banana????? My friend you have an IRON stomach.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 22:02:02 (permalink)
CajunKing-
I saw that hot fudge split listed after I had already ordered my sundae. Next time, it will be mine!!!!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 22:02:53 (permalink)
Ears can be a little fiberous, even if you cook em to death

The potato salad sounds interesting, did it have a vinegary taste or ????
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 22:07:06 (permalink)
CK-
I will take your word for it about the the pig ears!

I really don't remember a vinegary taste.....I would classify it more as a sweet potato salad.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3966
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/06 23:09:36 (permalink)
And thank you, BB, for trying snoots. You have cured me of the temptation!

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 00:08:15 (permalink)
quote:
Sunday February 3 cont. My final stop was C & K Barbecue. I did order the combo dinner, which is snoots (spelled snouts on the menu board) and rib tips. I have to admit, the snoots looked nothing like I thought that they would, although I'm not really sure what I was expecting. They have a somewhat crispy exterior (I'm assuming they are fried) and really didn't taste too bad. Still, I only ate two of them and I much preferred the delicious rib tips. The thin, sweet barbecue sauce was especially good and they give you four pieces of white bread to mop up the sauce. I did buy a bottle of the sauce to take home.

Buffetbuster,
Yeah, I had depicted something slightly different as well. Seems the old R. Crumb comic where the drunken blues musician wakes the poor visitor up with a skilletful and says "Now we has snoots!" (or something similar) made me vastly epicurious.
If I ventured to St. Louis, I'd surely try them by themselves and not laugh about doing so. "A little peppery sauce... or added pepper sauce... and they're pretty good. Not much food value to 'em, though," an old friend from St. Louis once told me.
I'm really enjoying your travelogue here, and especially liked seeing your Toasted Ravioli. Remember, if you only ordered one to taste it, it would be a Raviolus! As the late Miss Comer (my tried-to-be Latin teacher would say, "Keep Latin alive!" She even answered her telephone at home in Latin, but that's another story. Dear lady, she has been ABSUM from this mortal plane for quite a few years.
Under The Weather A Tad (Instead Of Under The Stadium With Seymour Butts!), Ort. Carlton in Nice, Warm Athens, Georgia.
P. S. And thank you mightily for turning us onto a St. Paul sandwich. There's another "must-order" for me in St. Louis.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 00:27:03 (permalink)
BB, in KC, snoots were called Gatelifters, as per a conversation I had long ago with Mr Trillin on the Mike Murphy show. I am daring but not reckless, and as such have never tried same. my hat's off to you.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 00:42:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss
BB, in KC, snoots were called Gatelifters, as per a conversation I had long ago with Mr Trillin on the Mike Murphy show. I am daring but not reckless, and as such have never tried same. my hat's off to you.

Bill,
My hat's off to you for mentioning Calvin Trillin, The Patron Saint Of Roadfood! Who else would take two weeks in France searching for the perfect Tripes De La Caen? -- It is because of him that I saw a short side jump from French Tripe Soup over to Mexican Menudo; I loved the stuff on first taste, and have ever since.
If Calvin Trillin suggested to me that I ought to BBQ old fashioned sour grapefruit and pour mole sauce over them, I might just try it. -- I tried Minty Asparagus Salad once, and wished he had been there to pass judgement.
And God rest Alice!
Only Semi-Curmudgeonly (Right Kneecap Hurts Like Hell = Arthritic Flare), Ort. "Da Gimp" Carlton in 30601-Land, where it continues to be warm.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 08:20:03 (permalink)
Ort-
As always, I love reading your insight and unique take on things. I hope you are feeling back over the weather soon!

bill voss-
Funny you should mention what snoots are called in KC, because that is where I am going this weekend. I appreciate you telling me what gatelifters are in case I see them on a menu. I think I've had my fill for now!
cecif
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 09:49:13 (permalink)
BB, excellent finish... snoots, I shoulda known. Holy... um... pig nose !!!!

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 10:08:33 (permalink)
quote:

Ort-
As always, I love reading your insight and unique take on things. I hope you are feeling back over the weather soon!

bill voss-
Funny you should mention what snoots are called in KC, because that is where I am going this weekend. I appreciate you telling me what gatelifters are in case I see them on a menu. I think I've had my fill for now!

They were never a big item in KC (this was 20 years ago). Calvin mentioned a place in the West Bottoms that used to acquire them from the then nearby stockyards. (now gone, as is the place)
What are your dining plans for KC so far? Don't forget GoChicKenGo
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 11:11:36 (permalink)
Your trip reports are always fantastic - I am living vicariously through your words and pictures!
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 12:37:26 (permalink)
i'm still drooling over the lobster mac n' cheese....yummm...
great report - carry on, buffetbuster!
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 15:11:28 (permalink)
There used to be a place here in KC called Pig Snoot Heaven. It was really good.

Buffetbuster, don't know how long you'll be here, but try to make it to Jerry's Woodswether
Cafe, 1414 W. 9th, in the West Bottoms where the stockyards used to be. They are only open until 1pm on Saturdays, but are open until 3pm Monday - Friday. Very good breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.

Have a great visit, I'll be looking forward to your KC report.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 15:35:17 (permalink)
zataar-
Thanks for the suggestion and the compliments earlier. My plan is to fly into MCI and then head into Kansas for the rest of the weekend. I will most likely only be eating one or two meals in the KC area.

But, since I have never been to a Royals game and KC is so easy for me to get to, I anticipate coming back during the summer. There are so many great places to eat in the area, that would be a VERY busy weekend.

bill voss-
Where I am going to eat at in KC Friday night really depends on if my plane lands on time. If it is on time, I will be eating at The Golden Ox. Saturday morning, I will be at Niecie's not eating a pig ear sandwich.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 16:39:15 (permalink)
quote:

zataar-
Thanks for the suggestion and the compliments earlier. My plan is to fly into MCI and then head into Kansas for the rest of the weekend. I will most likely only be eating one or two meals in the KC area.

But, since I have never been to a Royals game and KC is so easy for me to get to, I anticipate coming back during the summer. There are so many great places to eat in the area, that would be a VERY busy weekend.

bill voss-
Where I am going to eat at in KC Friday night really depends on if my plane lands on time. If it is on time, I will be eating at The Golden Ox. Saturday morning, I will be at Niecie's not eating a pig ear sandwich.

Well you can hit the drive thru at GCG, but here's a couple of helpful places:
http://www.explorekansas.org/
http://flyoverpeople.net/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
and don't forget, I'm planning on joining WJ and the Travelin' Man in Omahaha
ffor the CWS
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3749
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 17:08:12 (permalink)
quote:

...and don't forget, I'm planning on joining WJ and the Travelin' Man in Omahaha
ffor the CWS

Something tells me that the topic of this trip will come up some time on the upcoming drive from Orlando to Mobile and back.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 19:45:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

quote:

...and don't forget, I'm planning on joining WJ and the Travelin' Man in Omahaha
ffor the CWS

Something tells me that the topic of this trip will come up some time on the upcoming drive from Orlando to Mobile and back.

and hopefully you will be saying nice things about Bill and I.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 19:47:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Leania_1stone

This is amazing I wanted to go to Bissingers AND crown candy kitchen as well my friend Linda that I'm going up there to see said Bissingers is amazing she loves the chocolate covered blackberries but she said it was very expensive so it was definately a treat she only could have once in a while and she is taking us to Ted Drewes while we are up there I'm just excited about the whole trip and I am very excited to see what else is in store with this report because so far you are hitting just about everywhere I wanted to go already lol :)

I am really happy I could provide you with a sneak preview of what to expect at Bissinger's and Crown Candy Kitchen. I think you will enjoy both as much as I did.

Can I assume you won't be eating snoots?
Leania_1stone
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2008/02/07 20:32:22 (permalink)
Uhm no no snoots for me lol I'm a very adventurous person as far as food goes but even there are some limits to what I will eat :)
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1