Hot!Snoots, Slingers & Saints

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15229
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 14:27:39 (permalink)
OK,

Rather than a totally new report on the same places, and because I don't remember the name of PP's new girl friend, Here is an 'abridged version' of a quickie roadtrip to St Louis.

Friday started , as most of the BB/TTM trips do, with a trip to the airport. However our trip was to 'Louisville International' to put Janet on an American Airlines flight to DFW then on to Ontario,CA for a weekend with her mother.  I remind you of this because it became the basis for our receiving a gift of GOOEY COOKIES later in the day. I then returned home to pick up PP who had spent the night before making sure we would not return home to 'old beer'. The Amber Boch in my refrigerator had been there since the Memorial Day Party featured in an earlier report.

Then we kissed the pups goodbye and headed west. Lots of rain as we entered metro-St Louis, but not too bad, so we set up the route to retrace BB and TTM's major stops for a one-day ride around town.  We decided to start with O'Connells Tavern, then do our Motel check-in, then head up to Ropers to get our BBQ to take-out and do a Ted Drews dessert stop on the way back to the motel with the Ribs-etc.  We did not plan on additional stops, as we don't make any claims at being the 'multiple-stop competitors' on this site...and frankly what we did turned out to be worth every mile of rainy driving.

We arrived at O'Connell's just as they opened up. In fact PP's brew was unloaded from a distributor's truck and pumped directly into his 'Pitcher'...sort of reminded me of "so fresh it was still 'mooing' when it hit the table" !!

O'Connells is a landmark in SW St Louis and now we know why!  We sat at a table next to the Kitchen with the servers chatting with us as they picked-up and delivered the food from the easily visible kitchen. Here is the menu board posted in the tavern side of the place, there is also a fairly large dining room as well as the 'Bar-room'.

Since The other guys had ordered that great looking Beef Sandwich and a Burger, we did the same. O'Connells calls their Burgers Chopped Sirloin, and I am sure it qualifies...It is a very good Burger! Steve got the Beef, minus the 'au-jus' asking for some horseradish for a condiment. I got Swiss as my cheese topping and they did a great job on the carmelized onions. The onions still had some of the 'Vidalia-style' sweetness mixed in with the meat flavor bits from the grilling almost black on that burger filled grill!  PP's  Beef tasted great. It was a bit chewy, but that comes with a rare-thick-sliced roast I believe. One of the advantages to being an early-bird and sitting near the kitchen was that we watched the cook pull a whole roast beef out of the oven, cut it in half, then slice those center-cut rare slices to put on the fresh roll right in front of us.

BB/TTM didn't show you their beverages, probably because they didn't want to be seen drinking diet sodas in a Tavern (That's not an acceptable regional specialty!) but we ain't afraid of you critics... Here is my Iced Tea and PP's Fresh Amber Boch awaiting their demise.

Here's where the airport story enters the scene. We had chatted a bit with our server and the Bartender a bit about following BB/TTM's suggestions for food, and mentioned this report, which I will email to them with a connecting link shortly. Anyway the story unfolded calmly until I got to the point of telling them that we dropped my wife off at the Louisville Airport, telling her that PP and I were going out for Lunch while she was away , but not telling her that Lunch was to be in St Louis !!  Well, those folks thought that was hysterical and spread the story thru the Bar to customers and servers alike. Everyone thought it was very funny, and opened several conversations about the Roadfood Site and how good O'Connells was etc etc.

Then the Manager came over with a plate of "GOOEY COOKIES" for us for dessert "On The House" !  That obviously made our day.  Sorry no photos of the cookies, but they were about 3 inches in diameter and soft and creamy like  a sweet cream-cheese filling should be. I have never enjoyed Gooey Cake that BB mentions often, but I would drive many miles over broken-glass, on bald tires to get some more of those cookies !!!

Sorry but due to poor planning the rest of this report will be photo-less.

We left O'Connells a bit after noon with a line wating for tables (about 30 people in line when we left). We headed over to the Day's Inn on Lindburgh Blvd just south of I-44. Selected beacause it was 'cheap' and in the same basic neighborhood (S W Side) as two of our planned stops. Well the motel was what it is, a cheap clean, but well-used motel. However the front desk staffer was a very attractive Russian girl who was as polite and helpful as she could be. The motel is attached to a LARGE Sports-Bar restaurant...Not next door--attached. The place was empty when we looked in, but by late afternoon it was jumping with the 20's generation 'meat-market' crowd. While I stayed in my room to do my Bible-Study and call my beach-enjoying wife (She and her mother are at Carlsbad-by-the-Sea enjoying the $250 a day spa weekend treatments with Raul-the Pool-Boy) 

Anyway, PP decided to check out the 'food' in the Sports Bar...When he returned he brought a menu with him. He said the stuff looked really good (I think he meant the Onion Rings, but I am not really sure about that) but that even as thick-skinned as he is, he felt a bit out of place in his boonie-boots, cargo shorts and tee shirt in a bar FULL of people 30 years younger than him engaged in 'temporary mating rituals'. Even baby-faced BB would have looked like a senior-citizen in that crowd.

So we loaded up and headed north, across town to Roper's BBQ to pick up 'Dinner' then return to our new home away from home.  Mr Roper, as described by Cliff and Steve was a really pleasant gentleman to talk with. It was pretty busy (friday afternoon about 4 PM) so he didn't have a lot of chat-time, but he talked to us about posing for BB's Photo etc. We got a full Rack of St Louis Style Ribs, a full Rack of Baby-Backs, and an order of BEEF Rib Tips, with assorted beans slaw and potato salad in containers with the meat. The we headed across town (non-freeway) to Ted Drewes to check out the Custard before returning to the motel.

Here's where PP goofed and I didn't !  At Drewes the sun had come out and the day was finally brightening up a bit. Pete got  the Sundae that had a Brownie at the bottom, Then custard then carmel and hot fudge.  It was too much for him and he overdosed on the sweets, which took him out of the action when we got back to the motel !!!

I got a Cardinal Sundae. Custard with Hot Fudge and Tart Pie Cherries in juice over the top. Even getting a 'Large' I managed to finish it up easily.  The cream, fudge and tart cherry flavors really mixed well. I would order that one again when wwe stop there on the next trip west.

Now, rather than stretch this report out with details not really relevant to RoadFOOD, we will end this on a good note. We headed east early Saturday morning using two-laners across Illinois and finishing our Gooey Cookies for a snack on the road. We stopped in Evansville IN at the pizza and beer hall that PP loves so much. I did a Hot Beef sandwich there that made me long for another O'Connells stop, and PP did a small HOT PEPPER Pizza that hurt parts of my anatomy to look at. We got a meat-covered pizza to eat at home and returned to Lanesville before sundown last night.

The dogs were happy to see us. Janet is having fun out West. PP should be in Nashville by now, but on the other hand I saw him thumbing thru my Russian Vocabulary book last night...He may be back in St Louis by now !!

Thanks to BB and TTM for tipping us off to O'Connells. It is a real Gem and we will return there when in the area.  Ropers BBQ was good. The meat was outstanding, but neither PP nor I thought much of the sauce. Nextime I would get sauce-less BBQ and probably be a lot happier with our meal.  Ted Drewes is Ted Drewes. Worth an dessert stop anytime !!

EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 16:43:07 (permalink)
Nice write-up. I would love to see photos of those gooey cakes and the Ted Drewes sundaes.

That roast beef sandwich and onion rings from O'Connells looks awesome!
post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/11/01 16:44:31
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 16:54:10 (permalink)
Unfortunately, our photo pro neglected to check his battery status before we left...but he made up for it by leaving his cell phone charger at the house.    The onion rings were ok, but nothing special.  The beef sandwich was worth the drive, all by itself.
  At Ted Drewes, Al's sundae was called Cardinal Sin, with hot fudge and tart cherry pie filling.  Mine was called The Christy, an iced brownie topped with custard, then smothered with hot fudge and caramel.  Just down the street on Chippewa was a specialty bakery called Gooey Louie's. Next time I'm in town, I've got to see the inside of that one.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 17:29:50 (permalink)
I am going to suggest to our local Culver's Store that they consider copying the "Cardinal Sin" Sundae on their Custard specialties menu. The University of Louisville as you know use the Cardinal Mascot and this should be a great 'local addition to the menu board !  The combination of flavors was really good.  The Cherry topping was in tart juice not thick-pie-filling.

PP I am sorry about not remembering the E-ville Pizza stores name. The 8 oz ribeye they claim is in the sandwich was really two thin slices of well-done roast beef. It was OK, but would not have weighed in over 4 oz total. And it certainly wasn't a Ribeye.  Had I been in better physical condition at that point I would have shared PP's Pepper Pizza it looked great.

One aside for Roadfooders who pass thru St Louis. I remind you that O'Connells and Ted Drewes are with a minute or so of I-44, inside the I-270 ring. Very easy to access if you are "Just Passin Thru".  Ropers is a bit further off on the north side of I-70 at exit 245... and in a neighborhood that would not be a tourist mecca any time of day. 

We did see another BBQ shop a few blocks from Ropers and happened to ask one of Mr Ropers customers about the quality at the other store. The rather subjective reply told the whole story...."I wouldn't feed their 'Cue to my Dog"! He said with a smile as he took his take-home order from Mr Roper and left.  That about describes the other place pretty well!

Update from Janet. The spa motel is great and there is some sort of huge street festival going on in Carlsbad so she is enjoying a lot of Festival Food as she wanders around the Beach Town. Of Course Festival Food in Carlsbad has to be Smoothies, Sushi, Fish Tacos and lots of Avocado... Not a Funnel Cake or fried Candy Bar in sight! (Regional specialties only !!)
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3742
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 17:45:54 (permalink)
I am really glad that you guys liked O'Connell's.  I make a (mostly) annual stop in STL, and O'Connell's is a must-stop every time.  This was the first time that I was able to enjoy the burger, because it is so tough to pass up that roast beef sandwich.  On the other hand, I wasn't quick enough to deter both you guys and Cliff from ordering the very ordinary onion rings.  I wonder if the fries are any better.

The pizza place in Evansville, I believe, is Turoni's.  I have eaten there and was surprised at just how much I enjoyed their pizza.  My friend who works for UofE says that Turoni's is in her regular dining out rotation.

We, too, were referred to Gooey Louie's by the folks at Hodak's.  BB was supposed to make the pilgrimage for us, but I think he ran out of time.

I - finally - made it home...and am now nonplussed by own my local dining options.  I may need to head out for some seafood in the week I am home!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 18:09:58 (permalink)
little Steve-

My kind neighbor lady, knowing that Janet is gone for a few days, just delivered a hot cassarole of chicken and thick noodles to keep me from starving overnight!

Glad you finally got home .  yeah Gooey Louies is on the list for next time.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 19:37:05 (permalink)
mayor al

little Steve-

My kind neighbor lady, knowing that Janet is gone for a few days, just delivered a hot cassarole of chicken and thick noodles to keep me from starving overnight!

That wouldn't be the same neighbor lady who had a visit from the local law enforcement personnel during my last visit???
Poverty Pete
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 21:01:15 (permalink)
You're thinking of the other kind lady, the one who worships snakes and bludgeons her daughter.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10212
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 06:48:40 (permalink)
Mayor Al-
Great write up as always!  And your photos are much better than mine.  Glad to see that you enjoyed O'Connell's and to a lesser degree, Roper's Ribs.  You two are so good at making friends everywhere you go.  I am still kicking myself for missing out on Gooey Louie.

Poverty Pete
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 07:25:02 (permalink)
It's the sauce he spills on his shirts. The women always feel sorry for him.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 08:41:53 (permalink)
Al, I literally had to reach in my drawer for a Rolaid before I finished reading your writeup.  It all sounds wonderful!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 09:20:50 (permalink)
Wow, first time I have read this in a while.
     TTM looked marvelous in that shirt. Tie dye is a great style and it was quite fetching on TTM.
       I've never eaten roadfood in St. Louis but this report makes me want to hop the next plane. The slingers, buttercakes and concretes look marvelous and these writeups from roadfood royalty are quite interesting. Thanks to all of you for sharing.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 09:52:12 (permalink)
Chips,  I sorta thought that TTM had purchased that shirt at the consignment store you donated your older outfits to, when you headed for the smaller sizes ???

St Louis, for me has always been a place to connect to the Westbound Interstates as we Pass-Thru...or as the hub-connector for my old favorite 'TWA".  Now I do have a proven reason to get off the freeways and find more places like those we visited this past weekend.  We saw several places of interest...and Janet  and I will be back before the worst of the bad weather sets in.

Nancy, did my report cause indigestion?   Sorry.  BTW  I finished the last of Mr Ropers Baby Backs this morning for breakfast. Even two days old they were very good !

AND-  No, my nice neighbors across the road did the kind "bring in food" thing.  I tradeed my two trees full of ripe Persimmons for a couple of chicken-noodle dinners. Good deal for me !The person the guys refers to is not on my welcome to my home list. She avoids me ...which is fine by me. BTW the daughter does return to the scene of the crime about once a month. I think she is claiming a welfare/annuity check when she shows up. The mother makes sure she (mother) is gone when the kid turns up.   OH well, it beats watching Kate and Jon !!!
post edited by mayor al - 2009/11/02 09:59:58
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 09:58:30 (permalink)
mr chips-
When TTM picked me up at my hotel that morning and I saw him in his tie dye shirt, I greeted him with, "Good morning mr chips"!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 11:30:15 (permalink)
buffetbuster

mr chips-
When TTM picked me up at my hotel that morning and I saw him in his tie dye shirt, I greeted him with, "Good morning mr chips"!

True story....and....

mr chips

Wow, first time I have read this in a while.
     TTM looked marvelous in that shirt. Tie dye is a great style and it was quite fetching on TTM.

....true story.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 12:06:06 (permalink)
Al I think I'm just a weenie.  That lunch would have put me out for the day, but followed by slabs of ribs and sundaes?  Coma time.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 15:15:52 (permalink)
Gooey butter cake recipe, from the NYTs: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/dining/04appe.html
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/02 18:55:43 (permalink)
Nancy,  the lady in the article you posted described the cookie version of Gooey Cake to a Tee!
battra
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 10:19:43 (permalink)
Good morning! 

I was searching for Steak'n'Shake hashbrowns, and came across a picture of a slinger...which isn't exactly all that normal really.  Outside of St. Louis I thought they were pretty much unheard of.

So, I started reading this thread, and I'm really happy to see my hometown being praised in a really good light!  Also, wanted to pimp my blog a bit.  I run a blog on Slingers and Dive Bars inside the friendly confines of St. Louis City.

Buffetbuster, you seem to have hit some wonderful places.  I actually live VERY close to the City Diner.  My wife and I did some  of our engagement photography in there underneath some of the paintings that a friend of our family painted. (The Marilyn, the Elivs, and the Frankenstien were all painted by Demetrie.)

Also the Eat Rite Diner, fun and a place I've yet to go to Goodie Goodie...it's on the list though.

Here's the link for my blog if anyone has any interest:
http://battra13.blogspot.com/

(Also, I'm the only St. Louisan I know that doesn't really care much for O'Connells!!)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 13:48:23 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood battra!  Thanks for sharing your blog.  Considering your quest for slingers, you will fit in around here just fine.
battra
Cheeseburger
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 14:42:15 (permalink)
Thank you!!

I'm always lookin' to pimp my blog, so no thanks are necesary.  I'm trying to get famous! (It's just not working...lol) 

It's a great excuse to spend time with either my lovely wife or my awesome father in law.  It's a labor of love that's gone through many incarnations and I finally think I found a good one so I'm sticking with it.  I get far more views than I ever thought I would.

I'm still really, REALLY shocked about you guys talkin' slingers oustide of my town. :)

Here's the post that explains the genesis of the 13 Blog:
http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-8-of-continuing-series-st-louiss.html

I am going to expand it a bit and start including diners and dives 'abroad.'  Went to a great dive bar in Mexico this month that I have to post about and will be going to Peoria this hockey season, and Minnesota and Indiana this year.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 15:25:24 (permalink)
battra

Thank you!!

I'm always lookin' to pimp my blog, so no thanks are necesary.  I'm trying to get famous! (It's just not working...lol) 

It's a great excuse to spend time with either my lovely wife or my awesome father in law.  It's a labor of love that's gone through many incarnations and I finally think I found a good one so I'm sticking with it.  I get far more views than I ever thought I would.

I'm still really, REALLY shocked about you guys talkin' slingers oustide of my town. :)

I am going to expand it a bit and start including diners and dives 'abroad.'  Went to a great dive bar in Mexico this month that I have to post about and will be going to Peoria this hockey season, and Minnesota and Indiana this year.

As long as your middle name isn't Eating The Road you'll fit in fine. Welcome.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 15:26:27 (permalink)
Battra,
  Thanks for your addition to this thread. As a result of our visit(s) I have found a new appreciation for what was just another interchange/slow-down in our roadtrips. We hope to do another day/weekend soon.

BB-I had forgotten how good this little trip was...thanks for bringing it back !
battra
Cheeseburger
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 15:27:47 (permalink)
bill voss

battra

Thank you!!

As long as your middle name isn't Eating The Road you'll fit in fine. Welcome.

There is a joke here that I am missing. :)
battra
Cheeseburger
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/19 15:38:37 (permalink)
mayor al

Battra,
  Thanks for your addition to this thread. As a result of our visit(s) I have found a new appreciation for what was just another interchange/slow-down in our roadtrips. We hope to do another day/weekend soon.

BB-I had forgotten how good this little trip was...thanks for bringing it back !

Next time you're down, I can take you to the Buttery Restaurant or to the Riverside Cafe.

Both have great slingers.

One place is a lot dodgier than the other!
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/20 18:07:50 (permalink)
I would say Buttery is the dodgy one.
battra
Cheeseburger
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/21 09:36:53 (permalink)
That would be very correct.  I have posts up on both of their slingers.  They are both great little places with their own wonderful charm.

Riverside is actually very nice and has a bar side to it.  Buttery is about as big as a Ford F-150 Super Cap...and has grease literally caked on the walls and ceilings. 

There was some red goop on the ceilings over the grill...literally no idea what that stuff even was.

Blood?

Georgia Clay?

Ketchup?

Cayenne powder?
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/21 10:15:00 (permalink)
"Battra"? As in Mothra's evil doppelganger? 
post edited by nocarolina - 2010/01/21 10:20:48
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/21 10:41:23 (permalink)
battra-
Since you seem qualified as a slinger expert.....  What makes a slinger great?  And which place or places make the best?  I would love to know for future exploration.
battra
Cheeseburger
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/21 12:28:35 (permalink)
nocarolina

"Battra"? As in Mothra's evil doppelganger? 

That would be very, extremely true, but I refer to him as the black Mothra. :D

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1