Hot!Snoots, Slingers & Saints

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10384
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 09:32:57 (permalink)
TTM-
When I first read about Donut Stop, I had it confused with World's Fair Donuts, which I think we have been together.  No, this place was completely new to me, in a part of time I had never visited previously.  Of course, you are much more familiar with the city.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2978
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 11:07:38 (permalink)
There are 3 places (that I know of) that all have the similar, small box painted white look.  I have not been to this one either. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 13:16:43 (permalink)
Timing is everything.  This thread popped up on Roadfood last week, which is where BuddyRoadhouse made the suggestion of going to Bogart's Smokehouse

It immediately moved to the top of the must-eat list while in St. Louis.

It is very close to the popular Soulard Farmer's Market, which on a Saturday morning was already crowded.  This made parking a bit of a problem, as it took a few minutes to find a spot a couple of blocks away.  As I was approached, the first thing noticeable was the long row of picnic tables

set up along the sidewalk.  Getting to the front door at 10:15AM, the doors were already open and the smell of 'que filled the air.  A large man (who turned out to be co-owner Skip Steele) greeted me and when I asked him if they open at 10:30, he told me they were already open!  Love hearing that!

The inside is small and slightly dark.  You order at the counter and the menu board

hangs overhead.  Since Buddy had heard great things about the burnt ends (forgive us WJ, we know we are on the wrong side of Mizzou), I decided to get a two meat plate, with the burnt ends and pulled pork.  For sides, it was the pit baked beans and the intriguing deviled egg potato salad.  Despite what a gorgeous day it was, I hate eating outside, so I grabbed the table with the best light for photos.  Roadfood=wise, this was the premier table, because it had this photo

hanging above.  Brain sandwiches are the one local St. Louis specialty I have yet to try and there is no immediate plans to change that anytime soon.

Here is my tray of food

and it all looked delicious.  The sides received immediate attention.  The potato salad did contain plenty of egg, which I like, was slightly mustardy, plus tiny bits of pickle to give it a little bit of texture.  Very good.  Still, it was completely overshadowed by the spectacular pit baked beans.  

They are distinctly smoky, had small slivers of pork and tasted like it was doctored up with molasses, although it wasn't overly sweet.  I didn't find out until later that beans were cooked for up to 14 hours and received much of their flavor from drippings of meat being smoked.  These rank right up there with Stubby's and Thomason's Barbecue for the best I have ever had.

On to the meats.  The pulled pork appeared to the naked eye to be a bit dry, but luckily this didn't prove to be true.  It was perfectly tender, but there really wasn't much in the way of any smoke flavor.  The burnt ends

were the real thing.  While ordering them, they told me it is pre-sauced in a vinaigrette vinegar bbq sauce, which is certainly unusual, but it was a subtle sauce and it seemed to really bring out the flavor of the beef.  Maybe the biggest surprise about the burnt ends was how lean they were.  

There staff here is affable and accommodating.  I lost count of how many times someone came over to check on me and see if I needed anything.  I took advantage of one of those occasions to ask about the different bbq sauces on the table. 

The sweet and tangy pineapple express is what they consider their signature sauce and she recommended that is what I use on the pork.  The sweet Maegan Ann sauce is smoky and more like a typical Kansas City bbq sauce.  She warned me that the voodoo sauce was indeed hot, while the mad Maddie's vinegar was slightly hot and was what she called "an acquired taste".  For the burnt ends, she recommended mixing the voodoo and sweet Maegan Ann, but those burnt ends didn't need sauce.  She also made one more unusual suggestion, telling me how good the potato salad and pit beans were when mixed together, but I will just have to take her word for it.

Since I was near the front of the restaurant, there were plates of other foods going right past me and the giant ribs looked positively Flintstonian!  They are covered with an apricot glaze.  The guy who took my order was over chatting with me and asked me if I could identify a certain noise coming from the kitchen.  Unable to do so, he told me they use a propane torch to carmelize the glaze onto the ribs.  It sounds really unusual, but I can't wait to try it next time in town.

I also did not find out until later that the owners here, including Skip Steele used to work at the wildly popular St. Louis bbq parlor, Pappy's Smokehouse.

Bogart's Smokehouse
1627 S. 9th Street
St. Louis, MO
314-621-3107 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/05/07 13:18:28
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5141
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 13:29:37 (permalink)
Skip Steele was also part owner of Super Smokers some years back.

And opening at 10am on a Saturday is a great idea, especially with the Farmers' Market nearby!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 14:36:04 (permalink)
Glad Bogart's was a winner.  I always keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer whenever I make a recommendation based on a third party tip.

Ted Drewes for dessert?

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 15:29:01 (permalink)
Buddy-
After a sightseeing stop, yes!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 16:58:39 (permalink)
You would think with all the trips to St. Louis over the years, I would have hit all the tourist attractions by now, but somehow the Missouri History Museum

had been missed.  As full as I was from all the food stops, this became my next destination.

They have an impressive statue of Jefferson in the foyer

and for some reason, Radio Disney was here,

playing music very loud and pestering little kids.

One of the best displays focused on the 1904 World's Fair. 

You can see the mannequin behind glass holding what appears to be an ice cream cone and this was because this is where the ice cone was first introduced.  They brought in people from around the world, including Inuits, who were forced to remain in their heavy native clothes, despite how hot it was in St. Louis that summer.  It interested me that one of the most popular exhibits was on The Philippines,

especially considering my girlfriend is Visayan.

My favorite part of the museum was where they highlighted 50 people, 50 photos and 50 places in St. Louis history.  Among the people listed were people I was very familiar with, such as Chuck Berry, Joseph Pulitzer, Stan Musial and great Cardinals announcer Jack Buck.  

But, there were many more than I had never heard of before. 

The 50 places

were in chalk on a high wall and were beautifully done.

Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley.....

I spent a very enjoyable two hours here, even though it was easy to see that this was really a St. Louis art museum more than on the entire state.

Ready to eat again, I made a beeline to the one place you have to visit every time, Ted Drewes. 

It was starting to get hot out, which meant the place was fairly crowded, although there were more people at the benches slurping up concretes than at the ordering window.  As usual, the young ladies at the window are happy to pose holding the concretes upside down,

just to show off how thick they are.

Knowing my best shot for a decent photo before it got all melty would be in the car, I jumped in and started snapping away.  It didn't take long for my raspberry concrete to go from this

to this! 

Once it started dripping onto my shorts, it was time to put the camera away and start eating.
As much as I enjoy Ted Drewes, I don't put it quite in the league with Kopp's and Leon's in Milwaukee.  Still, this place comes highly recommended and is a St. Louis institution.       
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/08 08:22:08 (permalink)
You can't come to St. Louis with out a visit to The Hill, their famed Italian neighborhood.  There are many excellent Italian restaurants around here, but all I really wanted was a side of another St. Louis specialty, toasted ravioli.  And I didn't want to go to a sit down restaurant for basically just an appetizer.  So, that is how I ended up at Mama Toscano's.

Located in one of the quieter sections of the neighborhood, they are known here for their handmade raviolis.  A small place that is more grocery store than anything else, they were also making some really good looking sandwiches for the people in front of me.

When the enthusiastic young lady took my order for toasted ravioli, she told me I definitely came to the right place.  She boxed it up, included a few napkins and I took it outside to eat at the concrete picnic table outside.  They come ten ravioli to an order. 

They were very generous with the amount of cheese sprinkled on top and underneath and I appreciated the red sauce being hot.  The outer shell could have been a little crispier, but filled with a nice mix of meat and cheese, the flavor was spot on.  The weather was so beautiful out, I was happy to take my time and just enjoy the surroundings.  This was one of the highlights of my weekend.

Mama Toscano's
2201 Macklind Avenue
St. Louis, MO
314-776-2926 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/08 09:02:45 (permalink)
Please refrain from ALL references to "dripping onto my shorts" as this is a family forum! 

I always enjoy Ted Drewes and have it 4th behind Kopps's, Leon's, Anderson's and then Ted's.  Ted Drewes definitely has more wedding parties visiting in full regalia than any other location...have even seen 2 at once! 

I once had a lofty goal of hitting every Hill location....threw in the towel at around 15 and it looks like there are still 25 to go! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/08 09:08:14 (permalink)
I probably have Ted Drewes #4 also, although I would switch out Anderson's for Abbott's.  During a recent weekend in Rochester, I made a revisit to Abbott's and oh my goodness was it good!  But, in a contest such as this with such great frozen custard stands, there are no losers.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/05/08 09:09:17
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/08 10:51:47 (permalink)
But do they all drip equally?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/08 12:11:53 (permalink)
I think the products served at Kopp's, Leon's, Abbott's, etc. are different products than what are sold at Ted's. I just wouldn't even think of going to Ted Drewes and ordering a cone, which would be my go-to choice at any of the other places.
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1