Hot!Snoots, Slingers & Saints

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5043
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 08:25:42 (permalink)
Those O'Connell's sandwiches look awesome!  What kind of cheese is on the burger?  It doesn't have the processed appearance that so many have.

Brad
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10225
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 08:32:13 (permalink)
Brad,
I want to say that it was American cheese.  O' Connell's also has daily specials like baked ham on Mondays and roast pork sandwiches on Thursday that are probably really good, too.  Can any St. Louisians confirm this? 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 08:54:06 (permalink)
Next up was a visit to Eat Rite Diner

A tiny rectangular building, this has to be one of the smaller Roadfood buildings.  There is one curved counter with approximately ten seats.  When I went in, there was only one other customer, who left soon after.  The majority of the time, I was here by myself with the two waitresses.  A couple photos from the inside.

Neither of the two ladies was particularly friendly, but no big deal.

I did come here for the slinger. 

They did ask if I wanted onions or not.  While I did like the sausage patties and the eggs were fine, the chili was too thin for my taste and I think chopped onions work much better in a dish like this.  Of the four slingers I have eaten, this one comes in dead last.  The pies also looked like they have been sitting around for a while, so I passed on those, too.

Because I seem to frequently come to St. Louis in the winter, I often miss out on Ted Drewes

So, I was determined to make up for lost time!  There were much fewer people here during the middle of the day, but I was still impressed that customers would come out in the cold to stand around eat frozen custard.  Here is the young lady

holding my cindermint concrete upside down, before she passed it through the window.  Unfortunately, by the time I walked around and took exterior photos, my concrete

was quite melty when it came time to take a picture of it.  Still, with crushed chunks of peppermint in vanilla custard, it was every bit as good as expected.

I had hopes of visiting Gooey Louie, another famous place for gooey butter cakes.  But, I was running short of time and headed for the airport and home.

Hopefully, TTM will add on some of his photos to the end here.  No doubt, he has much better pictures of the ribs than I do.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/10/21 08:57:21
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 09:06:51 (permalink)
Man...too bad about Eat Rite...I've heard great things about that place....I mean if buffetbuster passed up the pie...!!!

Does Ted Drewes close for the winter? If so...when?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 09:14:38 (permalink)
ETR-
If you had described Eat Rite Diner to me, I'd think it would be right up my alley.  Unfortunately, no.  Maybe I just came at the wrong time.  Since they are open 24 hours a day, a night time visit would have shown more personality.  And that slinger is more of a 2:00AM after a night of carousing type of food. 

Ted Drewes only closes for a couple of months.  On my previous visit, I missed their opening by just a few days, which I think was in February.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 16:56:07 (permalink)
While Janet dips her toes in the Pacific with her Mother next weekend (Halloween) Pov Pete and I are going to slip over to St Louis for a long day trip to check out a couple of the places you visited, BB. I want to try some of the various ribs available at Ropers
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 18:26:19 (permalink)
Wow, where have I been?  I missed parts 1 and 2 of this thread.  Excellent posts by BB.

If you make it to Gooey Louie (just up the street from Ted Drewes) be sure to get some gooey butter cookies.  Gooey Louis is mostly mail order but they do have a retail counter... you have to park in the back and walk around front to get in.

You can get O.T. Hodges recipe chili at Eovaldi's Deli on The Hill. The owner is a relation and has the original recipe.  However, you can't get a slinger. Back in the day, an O.T. Hodge's slinger had two cheeseburger patties under the pile.  Eovaldi's is the same group that makes Oldani salami.

Ted Drewes on Chippewa is open through Christmas although you will have to share the parking lot with Christmas trees, which they sell at that time.  They do close for a couple of months and will open in late February or early March.  The Ted Drewes on S. Grand is closed from Labor Day to Memorial Day.

If you are trying BBQ in St. Louis, I recommend a stop at one of the newest places, Pappy's. Pappy's is on Olive near SLU.  Beware, lunch time lines can get long.

Eovaldi's - http://www.delionthehill.com

Pappy's - http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2296
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 18:53:15 (permalink)
bill voss

[id="quote"]quote: [id="quote"]Originally posted by buffetbuster

Ort-
As always, I love reading your insight and unique take on things. I hope you are feeling back over the weather soon!

bill voss-
Funny you should mention what snoots are called in KC, because that is where I am going this weekend. I appreciate you telling me what gatelifters are in case I see them on a menu. I think I've had my fill for now!

[id="quote"]
They were never a big item in KC (this was 20 years ago). Calvin mentioned a place in the West Bottoms that used to acquire them from the then nearby stockyards. (now gone, as is the place)
What are your dining plans for KC so far? Don't forget GoChicKenGo

That may have been my uncle's restaurant. He used to have a place near the stockyards called The Hog House. He served all the various parts of the pig, and giant burgers.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 19:17:38 (permalink)
It's a bit late, but thanks for the great report.  It takes some serious courage to chow down on those snoots (snouts) no matter how long ago it was.  That concrete sounds like a heavy duty bit of ice cream.
EatingTheRoad
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 19:52:29 (permalink)
buffetbuster

ETR-
If you had described Eat Rite Diner to me, I'd think it would be right up my alley.  Unfortunately, no.  Maybe I just came at the wrong time.  Since they are open 24 hours a day, a night time visit would have shown more personality.  And that slinger is more of a 2:00AM after a night of carousing type of food. 

Ted Drewes only closes for a couple of months.  On my previous visit, I missed their opening by just a few days, which I think was in February.

As home of the slinger you'd hope it'd live up to the hype...that one just looks watered down and wrong. I'd bet there are a few other places nearby that have a great version.

I've really got to get out to Ted Drewes soon then....maybe I'll run into mayor al and Poverty Pete.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3749
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/21 23:02:32 (permalink)
I have been extremely limited on Internet connection and even more limited by time since my arrival in NY.  I do have some additional photos - but I suspect buffetbuster may be laying unrealistic expectations at your feet if he thinks that my photos are going to be better than his.  I'll see if I can upload them from my camera and get a couple posted soon - but, BB really did cover the trip well.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 08:38:55 (permalink)
Al-
Excellent!  I will be very much looking forward to hearing what you and Poverty Pete think of the ribs at Roper's.  Where else in St. Louis are you thinking of going?

BTW, between Janet going to CA and you going to STL with PP, who is getting the better trip? 

Extreme Glow-
When I was writing the first part of the trip report last year, I was wondering why you hadn't chimed in.  Now I know why.  Many thanks for the tip to Park Avenue Coffee.  Do you think Pappy's is better than Roper's Ribs

TTM-
In general, I'm happy with the photos from this trip, but that white background behind the ribs was killing me.  I don't like my photos from Roper's at all.  Looking forward to any and all photos you got, when you get the chance.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/10/22 08:43:24
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 13:40:25 (permalink)

I found the menu boards at Ropers caught my thinking...How many samples of the various BBQ items can I do in one meal. Both the ribs you guys ordered looked good. I would like to check out the Beef Rib Tips, and some of the other stuff as well.

RE Janet's trip... I have a very traditional relationship with my M-I-L. A good definition of Mixed Emotions (for me) would happen if she were to drive my truck off a cliff.    Janet will be paying her dues with an obigitory trip to ONT. M-I-L still has very large Parrots flying free in her apartment. Nasty, dirty birds.

I will put up with PP grouching around looking for Brew-Pubs he visited 40 years ago. My trip will be sort of like riding with WJ in a closed car with no A/C or radio, in hot muggy weather, in traffic.  However the rare Roast Beef Sandwich you photographed, and some very good BBQ will make it all worthwhile. We may do another stop or two, including Ted Drewes before heading back for Hoosier country for a Saturday dinner.  A swing South to Doe's in Paducah may also fit the itinerary.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 13:45:52 (permalink)
mayor al

RE Janet's trip... I have a very traditional relationship with my M-I-L. A good definition of Mixed Emotions (for me) would happen if she were to drive my truck off a cliff.     

I will put up with PP grouching around looking for Brew-Pubs he visited 40 years ago. My trip will be sort of like riding with WJ in a closed car with no A/C or radio, in hot muggy weather, in traffic.  
Al, you are killing me!!!  Throw in Doe's and you have the making one seriously great food weekend!

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7771
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 13:56:17 (permalink)
mayor al

I found the menu boards at Ropers caught my thinking...How many samples of the various BBQ items can I do in one meal. Both the ribs you guys ordered looked good. I would like to check out the Beef Rib Tips, and some of the other stuff as well.

RE Janet's trip... I have a very traditional relationship with my M-I-L. A good definition of Mixed Emotions (for me) would happen if she were to drive my truck off a cliff.    Janet will be paying her dues with an obigitory trip to ONT. M-I-L still has very large Parrots flying free in her apartment. Nasty, dirty birds.

I will put up with PP grouching around looking for Brew-Pubs he visited 40 years ago. My trip will be sort of like riding with WJ in a closed car with no A/C or radio, in hot muggy weather, in traffic.  However the rare Roast Beef Sandwich you photographed, and some very good BBQ will make it all worthwhile. We may do another stop or two, including Ted Drewes before heading back for Hoosier country for a Saturday dinner.  A swing South to Doe's in Paducah may also fit the itinerary.

And you should consider that an honor and a privelage.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 14:06:20 (permalink)
Dale,
   OH, Believe Me, It will be an unforgetable experience.

Cliff,
   I have Ropers location pinned down from their website. What can you tell me about O'Connell's location (address?)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 14:11:55 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 14:54:33 (permalink)
Al,

O'Connell's is very close to both the Missouri Botanical Gardens (http://www.mobot.org/) and St. Louis' legendary "Hill."  I don't know what is happening at the Gardens when you will be in town, but when I first went there, we saw an excellent Chihuly exhibit.  It was a nice stop....if you are looking for something non-food, beer related.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 15:25:13 (permalink)
Thanks for the input TTM and BB,  We are going over next Friday(the 30th)..should be in St Louis by noon (Janet leaves at 6am from SDF). We plan to follow your tracks (roughly) stay in St Louis Friday evening then head back on Saturday keeping our options open then.  Maybe Does in Paducah, Maybe the Fried Chicken at the Lincoln Inn near E-ville, IN...and maybe a run thru the BBQ pits from Land between the Lakes to Elizabethtown,KY. We will be back here by Saturday night. Dogs stay home for a night, but thats about as long as I want to trust them.
Neither PP no I are much on the candy stuff, but the ice cream sounds like a good reason to drive !  I have all three places, Ropers, OConnells, and Drewes in the GPS. Now to find a cheap motel. Just a simple ride, but it will help me get out of here for a couple of days.

By the way the color here is really beautiful today. We are due some heavy rains for the next two days, so this may be the best of the fall colors !
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 17:01:49 (permalink)
O'Connell's is adjacent to I-44 at Kingshighway.  

Just two blocks west on Shaw, you'll find Adriana's.  Excellent sandwiches at a lunch-only place. I always get the simple "Mary's Special".  Hot roast beef, cheese, and garlic butter.
http://adrianasonthehill.com/

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2296
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 18:21:11 (permalink)
It could be worse, Dale. Well, perhaps not. Al already likes Rush.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/22 23:25:32 (permalink)
I alternate my travelin' music...Merle Haggard, AC/DC, Oak Ridge Boys, Beach Boys, Black Sabbath, and finish up the ride with Confederate Railroad and the track from the Blues Brothers Movies (Both of them). Rush is NOT on the playlist.  PP will probable sleep all the way to St Louis anyway.

Actually I usually ride in silence when alone on the road. 
We'll pass on BB's regards to the Roper's folks.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/23 10:27:22 (permalink)
Al, I have no doubt that Mr. Roper and the ladies will remember the visit from TTM and myself!  Don't be surprised to receive a call from me on Saturday, just to make sure you two are staying out of trouble.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/23 10:45:10 (permalink)
I may haul my laptop along to show Mr Roper and the neighborhood your review of his place. I say MAY because my Laptop is a 17", which is nice on a hotel room desk in the evening, but is often too large/clumsy to fit on some BBQ restaurant tables!

Did you see anyone with the Brisket at his place? Also, Did he give a reason for steering you away from the Rib Tips?  I am serious about trying a little of all the BBQ meats. I can pass on the chicken and seafood, but the Beef and Pork sound and look pretty good!

It looks like we will be there Friday afternoon (early), then do the motel check in and  ad a couple of places in S W part of town before visiting Ted Drewes and O'Connells. Our motel will probably be in that area as well. PP wants to try some of that Chili-mess...I don't think my system can handle that so we will be looking for a Saturday morning breakfast that includes the Chili-Egg stuff for him and some toast and ham for me.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/10/27 11:38:46 (permalink)
We found a Days Inn not far from from Ted Drewes (and I-44) that should do quite well for our Friday night "campout"! Now if I can just find a way to silence PP's constant chatter about  how he started the brewing industry in Evansville !

The boss will be in Carlsbad-by-the-Sea (on the beach) for the weekend then spend two days with her Mom buying the Ontario Mills Mall !! The only part of her trip I am envious of are the potential food stops at Farmer Boys, Rubios, and a couple of my favorite food/train-watching locations along Hesperia Road on the High Desert !!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 03:38:11 (permalink)
Has anyone heard if Al and Poverty Pete made bail?
EatingTheRoad
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 07:12:00 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Has anyone heard if Al and Poverty Pete made bail?

Seriously?
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 08:02:21 (permalink)

This got me thinking its skillet time of the year. I like the way this looks, most of the time you see these they are a mess on the plate.
You really have me thinking about the Meatloaf Omelet. Man I miss Diner food................Great pictures and great report...........Thanks Bill
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 922
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 08:58:57 (permalink)
  I heard that they spent all bail money on BBQ, and are now waiting for the scotties to tunnel them out! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2009/11/01 12:30:31 (permalink)
AHI MPLS

I heard that they spent all bail money on BBQ, and are now waiting for the scotties to tunnel them out! 
If the pups smell ribs, they will surely be out in no time.

Actually, with the popularity of AL and PP, we took up a collection and had no trouble gathering up $27.11 in small change and coupons.  This might take a while!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1