Hot!Snoots, Slingers & Saints

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
battra
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/21 12:40:57 (permalink)
buffetbuster

battra-
Since you seem qualified as a slinger expert.....  What makes a slinger great?  And which place or places make the best?  I would love to know for future exploration.

I'm going to link many posts in this thread so if nothing else you can see the photos:

Well...for me...here are a few things I demand personally:

1) Chopped onions the size of quarters!  The Buttery little bitty onion shavings.  See in here:
http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-7-of-continuing-series-st-louiss.html 
The onions were completely bland.  I tasted nothing of onions on this one.  Now, had they put the proper onions, oh my god, it'd have been a 8 of 10.

2) Use a good helping of cheese on top.  Like Chris's Pancake House did.  It's all about the portions of the add on pieces if you ask me.
http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/08/st-louiss-perfect-slinger-part-4-chriss.html

When you look at this one: you can see LARGE onion pieces, and a large portion of shredded cheese on top.  Now it doesn't have to have shredded cheese, American is just fine as well, but don't skimp!

3) The Chili.  Riverside Cafe has what would have been the best were the onions there.
http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/10/part-6-of-continuing-series-st-louiss.html
I have since met the owner, after she invited me down for karaoke night there.  So that place was like the epitomy of the 13 blog!!!  Bar and Slinger in one place...and $1.50 Schlitz beers...I was in heaven there.  She tells me now that she tells everybody to either ask or just put onions on it.  They use the original slinger chili on theirs and it makes a big difference.

4) Hamburger patties, not sausage patties.  Eat Rite, City Diner, The 12th Street Diner, Billie's Diner, all use sausage patties.  The sausage patties aren't right.  Use big honkin' burger patties.  Tastes better every time, and after I mash it up, there's beef, hashbrowns, etc in every bite.

5) Hashbrowns: Have kick ass hashbrowns.  Not cheap ones. 

6) Don't mess with a proven system.  Billie's Diner, 12th Street Diner, and The Majestic Cafe (though I shouldn't mention them) all changed the formula.  No hashbrowns on any of them...yuck. 

7) Jalapenos improve anything!  Courtesy Diner adds jalapenos for a fee.
http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/05/st-louiss-perfect-slinger-part-3.html
Made them awesome...but the hasbrowns were a bit iffy!  (I also had to pay for the cheese too.)

Really...there's no one thing that makes them great.  The better the ingredients, the better the slinger.  Though, one thing I have noticed is that if you go to a diner, and they use burger patties, the burgers taste better.  I was told that the grill keeps in some of the flavor, so it's still in the burgers....dunno about all that...but I have noticed really tasty burgers in the diners.

My next stop is at a new place in Lafayette Square.  I never reveal the name of the location, as I am beginning to get a bit of a reputation around St. Louis and my reviews are getting back to the owners.  Also, a lot of restaurant and bar owners read the st. louis food forum I post on....so....yeah.  I'm easy to spot if you know what to look for...a duder with a BlackBerry taking pictures of his food (or drink) and your establishment..lol.

(Also, thank you all from roadfood.com who've made their way to the 13 Blog, but don't be ashamed to comment, follow or any other linky silly stuff I put up!  I love feedback of all kinds.)
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/22 13:05:59 (permalink)
Battra, I'm impressed, both by your Roadfood knowledge and your choice of user name. If I were to "go Toho" for my online name, however, it would have to be "Uchu Daikaiju Dogora".   Welcome to Roadfood.
battra
Cheeseburger
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/22 15:19:54 (permalink)
Thank you. Thank you. Uchu Daikaiju Dogora....man..that seems so familiar, but I can't place it anymore...that's not Jet Jaguar's JPN name is it?

I've been battra online since literally 1999.  When I signed up on Phantasy Star Online through my Sega Dreamcast.  So, if you see Battra...it's likely me.

I love slingers. :)  Always have new ones to try.  I recently discovered two BARS that sell them...lol....so I have more places to go, and more beans to eat!

I'm trying to convince my FIL to pay for a diner run this Sunday.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/22 21:32:10 (permalink)
"Uchu Daikaiju Dogora" is the Toho film that AIP released directly to American television as "Dogora the Space Monster" in 1964 ( frequently misspelled as "Dagora". ) If you haven't seen it, Dogora is an enormous coal-devouring, flying jellyfish from outer space that butts heads with a gang of diamond thieves; it's a weird but fun little film. No roadfood, though.
post edited by nocarolina - 2010/01/23 06:42:43
battra
Cheeseburger
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/25 11:43:04 (permalink)
DetectDave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/25 20:47:24 (permalink)
Battra is a slinger legend on our St. Louis area food boards. Glad to see ya on here friend.
battra
Cheeseburger
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/01/26 13:50:56 (permalink)
Very few people other than OT Hodge himself have such dedication to the heart attack inducing combination that I love so very much.

:)

Next outting is on Superbowl Sunday!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15281
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/02/21 18:58:13 (permalink)
We  are facing some family obligations over in Rolla, MO next weekend. The travel schedule will put us in St Louis (with a bunch of our family along with us) Friday evening. We hope to re-visit OConnell's, and Ted Drewes, as well as get there when Gooey Louies is still open. We will be staying at the Days Inn on Lindburg near I-44. I figure my Sons will check out the cuties in the restaurant who passed by Poverty Pete's stool at the bar on our last trip.

If Gooey Louies is closed when we get there, then maybe a stop on Sunday as we pass thru earlier in the day will be in order.

We are familiar with many of the RF stops in the Rolla area. I'll report back next week on where we stopped.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/02/21 19:37:42 (permalink)
Mayor Al-
I have the feeling that these aren't happy family obligations over in Rolla, but it sounds like you are going to make the best of it.  Safe travels and enjoy the good eats!  Oh, and if you make it to A Slice of Pie in Rolla, think of me!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/02/22 11:23:57 (permalink)
Cliff
Think Elderly Aunt...the last of my mother's generation, in a nursing home in Rolla. We want to see her before it is too late. I printed a dozen photos of her with my Mom in her HS and early married life and we will take them with us to focus the conversations on the good old days . While she is quite frail health-wise, her mind is still pretty sharp. It will be a good visit, the down-side is that she isn't expected to last much longer so it will probably be our last one with her.

I have heard mixed reviews on the 'Slice of Pie', based mainly on a rise in prices beyond the norm...but we'll take a look while we are there. I am not a fan of Johnny's BBQ, the main Que stop in Rolla. We have tried it several times and have been disappointed more often than  we should have been.

PS- Pete and I saw GOOEY LOUIE'S on our way to Ted Drewes on our last trip. The website looks great and the prices seem reasonable. I have heard others say they wanted to stop here, but no reports from someone who has actually done it.  Anyone out there care to report back for us???

www.gooeylouiecake.com/
post edited by mayor al - 2010/02/22 11:35:56
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/02/28 19:54:54 (permalink)
ANOTHER VISIT TO ST LOUIS (and beyond)-

OK Here's the update on our St Louis Stops this weekend. We made a one night visit to be able to spend Saturday morning with an elderly relative who is in an assisted-living center in Rolla, MO (about 100 miles the other side of St Louis from us). We stayed Friday night in St Louis and ate our meals there as well.  Here's the schedule.

Friday, we got into town about 8PM and stopped at O'Connell's Pub for dinner.
  The place was crowded, but we didn't have to wait long for a table.
As usual we were treated like relatives, and they had the "Throne" ready for the Mayor's visit!!

Being in a busy saloon was a new experience for my grandson, but he seemed to enjoy his Burger. They do make a very good Burger!!  Janet and I had some great Gumbo and shared the Fish & Chips Special and a Roast Beef Sandwich on a "dipped" roll.

Next day we returned to O'Connell's for the Rib Tips they offer as a Saturday Special. They were OK, but not the best BBQ I have ever had.

Then it was off to Ted Drewes for some great Custard. Here Janet holds her "Cardinal Sin" Sundae with my Praline Fudge/Butterscotch Sundae. Chris was enjoying his Cookie Dough Concrete too much to stop for the photos.

Then, before heading to the Arch on our way home, we stopped up the street from Ted Drewes, at GOOEY LOUIE'S Bakery for some Gooey Cakes to take with us.

Chocolate Raspberry was our favorite...after trying three flavors.

But we finally selected one of those and a Chocolate Turtle to ke with us.

We also bought a few Gooey Cookies for snacks...They didn't make it 50 miles across the river that evening !!!

We arrived safely back in Hoosierland Saturday evening, feeling very good about our visit with our family member, and having had the opportunity to share some good roadfood experiences with my grandson.

post edited by mayor al - 2010/02/28 20:02:09
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/02/28 21:35:31 (permalink)

Final words on the Gooey Cakes-
  They are baked in an 8 inch square pan...about 'Brownie' Thickness. We bought three to take home. I have to report that the two Jan and I kept are now gone (Sunday 10 PM) the one that went home with my grandson is being slowly devoured by someone with less of a sweet-tooth than his Grandparents !
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/03/01 07:46:18 (permalink)
The Gooey Louie mascot is pretty adorable, as is your grandson!  And the onion rings don't look bad either!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/03/01 07:55:42 (permalink)
Mayor Al-
Thanks for the photos from Gooey Louie.  Have you been to Park Avenue Coffee for their gooey butter cakes?  If so, which was better?  This gives me yet another reason to visit St. Louis soon.

As for the photo of you in your throne at O'Connell's, the only thing you were missing was your pope hat!

It sure seems you had fun with the family on your weekend, but no doggie photos?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/03/01 11:46:17 (permalink)
mayor al

Being in a busy saloon was a new experience for my grandson, but he seemed to enjoy his Burger. They do make a very good Burger!!  Janet and I had some great Gumbo and shared the Fish & Chips Special and a Roast Beef Sandwich on a "dipped" roll.

That gumbo looks mighty good...was it fairly spicy or more on the mild side?

Brad
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/03/01 15:27:21 (permalink)
Brad,
  The Gumbo had a very light pepper bite to it. Not really 'Cajun' by a long shot. Instead of a bunch of sausage it was more a Shrimp and Fish chunk recipe. I tend to enjoy the milder versions, so this was perfect for my tastes.

I still vote the Roast Beef Sandwich recorded several times on this thread as the best menu item on any of these trips! Even at 9PM at night the beef was fresh sliced, hot and full of flavor.

BB,
My D-I-L (Chris's Mom) makes a "Lemon Gooey Bar" using the same basic recipe as the 'Original Gooey Cake'. Her's has a strip of sweet/tart Lemon goo on the bottom. I like it better than either of the two flavors we took home from Gooey Louies. Those two were good, but I dream of the Lemon (home-made) version !!!

No dogs this time. They stayed home to guard the house. Since it was just a 24 round-trip we felt they could be alone that long. They were not happy about it, and let us know that they should have been with us.

One other note. I promise to take my DSLR into the restaurants with me from now on. I am really not satisfied with the sharpness of the 'food photos' taken on the point-n-shoot. It does fine outdoors, or in well lighted situations inside, but in the semi-dark of the Oconnells saloon and other inside close-ups, It doesn't do what the SLR will do in macro-focus !!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10270
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2010/03/01 16:01:30 (permalink)
buffetbuster

[id=quote size=1 font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by wanderingjew

One thing though.....Grits and Biscuits??!!! In St. Louis???!!! " />

I was thinking along the same lines when I went into Mary Lou's in Carbondale, IL. When the waitress suggested the biscuits and gravy, I immediately fluffed it off. But when I saw everyone else was eating it and I remembered a recent thread here on Roadfood saying that southern Illinois has more in common with the south than it does Chicago, I changed my mind.

Now, I recently ate at a place called Schmucker's in Toledo where the reviewer recommended the biscuits and gravy. I just couldn't see me ordering that there.

With a name like Schmuckers, it's gotta be good!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 13:02:28 (permalink)
This past weekend, I made a quick trip into St. Louis.  It seems like it has been a few visits since this thread was updated, so this is as good a time as any.

Unfortunately, the trip got off to an inauspicious beginning. 

Luckily, I acted quickly and got what was seemingly the only available seat out of Pittsburgh into St. Louis, via Delta Airlines and a connection in Atlanta.  So, instead of getting in at 6:45, we landed at 10:50 instead. 

The original dinner plans was a revisit to O'Connell's Pub for one of those superb roast beef sandwiches they are famous for.  A phone call confirmed that their kitchen closes at midnight and I managed to pull in with 15 minutes to spare.  The excellence of this sandwich

has been much discussed earlier in this thread, but I can tell you that it is even better than I remembered.  It is so juicy and so tender that it really doesn't need the au jus sauce, but it was still used since I am a dipper by nature.  The golden, crispy fries

were also quite good.

My hotel was all the way out in Chesterfield, which means I didn't arrive until after 1:00AM.     
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/05/06 14:09:43
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5085
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 13:44:45 (permalink)
Nice sandwich!  Did you drink the jus after you were done?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 13:50:55 (permalink)
The original plan for Saturday was to go out early hunting for slingers, but with the late night, I was thrilled to sleep in until 7:00, which is very late for me.

Before leaving on the trip, ChiTownDiner tipped me off to a place he found called Winslow's Home

Located in an upscale neighborhood, this place bills itself as The New American General Store.  When they opened their doors at 8:00AM, I was first through the doors.  You go to the back counter and place your order.  The menu

isn't that large and I was having difficulty deciding what to get.  When the young man waiting on me (he had already playfully chided me for wearing a USC jacket, since he was a UCLA graduate) suggested the corned beef hash, saying they cure their own corned beef, I was sold.  You can see by the price that it is not cheap. 

They do have some really good looking pastries available,

but remembering that CTD highly recommended the pies, I asked if any was ready.  All they had was apple leftover from the day before, which I was happy to have.  They give you a number to put on a little post on your table and when your food is ready, they bring it out to you.  The dining room is fairly big

and I picked a table near the windows.

This gave me a chance to explore.  They do sell a little bit of everything here, including books, toys,

stationary, kitchen gadgets and some really enticing food to take with you.

The pie had a lattice top

and it could have been fresher.  Still, the pie was loaded with soft apples, lots of cinnamon and good flaky crust.  When I first saw the portion size of the corned beef,

I was a little disappointed, but there is more there than it looks.  The hash was very crispy, with bits of onion and mixed with the egg yolks, this was a really good breakfast.  The honey oat toast was outstanding and made me wonder if the bread is baked in house.  For the toast, they gave me a cup of fresh strawberry jam.

I had hoped to return for lunch or at the very least, a slice of pie fresh out of the oven, but I never made it.  Next time in St. Louis for sure! 

Winslow's Home
7213 Delmar
St. Louis, MO
314-725-7559 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/05/06 13:52:12
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 13:56:59 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Nice sandwich!  Did you drink the jus after you were done?

I cut out the middle man and hooked up an IV!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 14:02:31 (permalink)
Wow.............that corn beef hash breakfast looks perfect!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6275
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 14:08:04 (permalink)
What a breakfast!!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2943
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 15:06:42 (permalink)
I always knew you were a dipper! 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 15:44:33 (permalink)
I think that thing I am having the hardest time coming to grips with is that we were in St. Louis for the great "pelican" adventure almost five years ago. How is that possible?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/06 16:10:06 (permalink)
Winslow's Home is a wonderful place to lazily sip and snack.  I've had almost all of the bars, cookies and other baked goods, all prepared in house.  The pies are also very good and once, late at night I asked about a custom pie.  The reply was it depends on the fruit in-house as it is to late in the evening to get anything new for a morning pick-up.  They had apples and raspberries, so it was sour cream raspberry pie with a crumple top.  Has remained in my top 10 for all time.

I love the breakfast burrito and have enjoyed it several times.  Buffetbuster, they do bake their own bread...at least they used to. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 08:26:37 (permalink)
TTM-
Before I revived this thread, I looked at the dates and was surprised by how long ago it was.  Sure doesn't seem like it.  A sure sign we are getting old.....

Greymo-
For $12.50, it better be!

CTD-
Thanks for bringing Winslow's Home to my attention.  Really wish I made it back for another slice of pie.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 08:47:16 (permalink)
Next up was a place that made its first appearance in a Roadfood book in the 2014 edition, Donut Stop

The place was buzzing, with a jam packed parking lot and a constant stream of people hustling in and out.  Once entering the building, I was confronted with two lines.  Just as I starting asking a local which line was which, an older man in the left line started yelling, apparently at no one in particular.  Something about it isn't his fault if other people don't speak up, which made me think he was accused of cutting in line, even though he seemed to be at the front of his line.  It was confusing, but the man kept it up unnecessarily with the loud voice and the employees handled it with grace.  The woman in line in front of me said she was next and the woman in the opposite line was after her and then me.  Wow, this is the most confusing ordering system I have encountered since Dog House Sandwich Shop in Delaware, which when they are busy, is just short of hand-to-hand combat.

They bagged up three donuts for me, which I opened up and enjoyed in the car.  The glazed

was wonderfully warm and light and not too sweet.  On the opposite end of the scale were the fritters, which long and heavy and wanted to break in half due to their weight.  They had several different flavors, with me choosing the cherry fritter. 

The best was clearly the cinnamon glob,

which was dense, doughy and loaded with cinnamon.  This thing was a real pleasure to eat.

Donut Stop
1101 Lemay Ferry Road
St. Louis, MO
314-631-3333  
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 08:50:08 (permalink)
In the "olden" days, there were fewer tables and many more counters or racks of "stuff."  It was fun sorta sitting in between rows of garden stuff, retro candy or kid's games!  I/we love Winslow's Home and give it a strong CTD recommendation!  BTW - they do all the stuff in-house with organic produce and good meats.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it! 
...and don't you think guys like you and I will "always be back for more pie!!!"
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: Snoots, Slingers & Saints 2014/05/07 09:29:17 (permalink)
I feel like I have driven right be Donut Stop a number of times, but it is not the donut place near O'Connell's (World's Fair?) and, based on the address, it is not the donut place near Ted Drewes. Is it near anything else that might have caused me to drive by?
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1