Snout Sandwich

Author
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 864
2006/03/24 21:40:01 (permalink)

Snout Sandwich

Have heard several references to this. sounds intriguing. Would like to learn more

7 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4319
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/24 21:51:16 (permalink)
    As I recently mentioned in the "Beef Cheeks" thread, there is a barbecue sandwich common to the St. Louis area called a "snoot" sandwich. Rather than being made from the snout, which would imply the nose, the snoot meat is derived more from the cheek and jowl area. Lolis Eric Elie describes it at length in his barbecue classic, "Smokestack Lightning". While I don't doubt its existence, I am not familiar with a snout sandwich.

Buddy
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/24 21:59:42 (permalink)
    I think Richard Crenna had one in Hot Shots Part Deux....
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/24 22:18:41 (permalink)

Buddy,
    The Snoot sandwiches that I have seen and shared are indeed slices of "Pig-Nose" (cross-sections) deep fried then smothered in BBQ sauce and slapped between two pieces of white bread (or a burger bun) with a few pickle chips. They used to be a common St Louis area bar-food. Not so these days... Some places do sell them though. Most recently a vender at the Henderson KY Blues and BBQ festival would sell (calf) brain Sandwiches and Snoot Sandwiches. In 2005 he dropped the Brain sandwiches from his menu but still had the Snoots. (That's SNOOTS not SNOTS!!)

We may be talking about two different menu items here?????
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/24 22:45:32 (permalink)
    What are hog maws? When we travel down south, we often see them at festivals from 55 gallon drum type BBQ vendors. They often sell pig ear sandwiches too. I'd eat 'em but I guessed they'd be really chewy. Am I missing out on some real treats?
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/24 23:17:27 (permalink)
    We need the Sterns to chip in as they are snoot experts...

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/whereweeat/stern_snoots.html

In addition to C&K, Smokin' Al's on Hampton in St. Louis also serves up snoots. I think I'll stick with ribs.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4319
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/25 16:09:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Buddy,
    The Snoot sandwiches that I have seen and shared are indeed slices of "Pig-Nose" (cross-sections) deep fried then smothered in BBQ sauce and slapped between two pieces of white bread (or a burger bun) with a few pickle chips. They used to be a common St Louis area bar-food. We may be talking about two different menu items here?????
    Mr. Mayor, I will not argue with you on this. You have seen what you have seen; you have eaten what you have eaten, while I have merely read about the famed snoot sandwiches.

As I mentioned, in his book, "Smokestack Lightning"(the barbecue version of "On the Road," for those not familiar), Lolis Eric Elie quotes Boonie, a long time East St. Louis resident, in describing the snoot sandwich:

"You talking about the hog' face," he says, tracing the outline of his own face to indicate clearly that the snoot is composed mostly of the cheeks. "The first thing with snoots is you got to cut 'em on the inside or they'll curl up on you. You have to cut 'em"..."Put 'em on the grill fat side down. And you don't put nothing on it. Not even salt and pepper-hey it's gon' have its flavor."

Later in the same chapter Mr. Elie describes a variety of snoot sandwich experiences that both contradict and confirm Boonie's description. At Moe's Barbecue, he is served a sandwich that is indeed grilled but slathered in barbecue sauce. In other cases he likens the texture of the snoot to cracklins, implying some degree of deep frying.

Although there is no indication anywhere that the snoot in an East St. Louis snoot sandwich is actually snout, there is enough variance in its preparation and description to make me believe that somewhere, someone is making their snoot sandwiches with snout.

I envy you, Mr. Mayor; your opportunity to try this very localized delicacy, and hope, one day to get my very own snoot sandwich while passing through the greater East St. Louis area.

Buddy

P.S. Perhaps this will be the latest menu addition at drsmoke's place. Surely he'd be the only guy in Maryland serving snoot!

B.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Snout Sandwich 2006/03/25 16:35:42 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Being a bit of a fan of viscera, I have to admit that in between tastings of livermush, liver mush, liver pudding, scrapple, head cheese, goetta, souse, chitterlings, and two or three more similar items, I have yet to find snoots on a menu anywhere I've travelled. Nor have I found them in a grocery store that I can recall.
    Should I plan a trip to CHILLInois for some? I might be able to find some in cENTRALia....
    Swining And Dining, Ort. Carlton in PITiless Athens, Georgia.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1