So,, What IS in a name?

Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2006/06/04 21:26:10 (permalink)

So,, What IS in a name?

Taking the ball from FPCZYZ (on another thread), and running with it, just what is in a name?
Mine has several meanings.
Tara
According to several baby name sites, mine means:
Rocky hill, crag, tower, hillside, and is Gaelic or Celtic in origin.
Or, if we want to go the ZEN route...

http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/tara/

28 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/04 22:17:00 (permalink)
    Tara, I always think of GONE WITH THE WIND when I hear or read your name. And I work with a Terah and one of my clients has a girl friend named Tara.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/05 00:07:22 (permalink)
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a Damn! :)

MikeS.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/05 10:19:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Frankly my dear, I don't give a Damn! :)

MikeS.

And, neither do I.. I have had people call me Scarlett trying to remember my name.
    I tell them, THE HOUSE.... Not the lady of the house!
    Just dont call me Terry!
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/05 11:41:17 (permalink)

My given name is Cynthia,
    Googled and found this:

'Latinized form of Greek #922;#965;#957;#952;#953;#945; (Kynthia) which means "woman from Kynthos". This was an epithet of the Greek moon goddess Artemis, given because Kynthos was the mountain on Delos on which she and her twin brother Apollo were born.'

Looked for Copper, found nuthin, go figger.

Heh HEH

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/05 11:51:28 (permalink)
    I always thought Tara was short for Terror...
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/05 12:29:55 (permalink)
    Ayuh, maybe it's the Yankee pronunciation.

Katie=Kathleen=Pure

As the driven snow am I!
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/05 12:49:41 (permalink)
    mine nickname means i worked for 4 years teaching culinary arts in a boys prison (level 8. means they tried to kill somebody but were too dumb or lucky not to get the job done. yes they were armed with knives in the kitchen and no the guards were not armed)
    our company name 2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!, inc came from the two racing dogs we have. moose my 98 pounder male raced at 84 lbs until he tore a groin muscle when he slipped on the metal cross bar in the floor of the box. damn fast grade a and b dog. big corvette my redhaired 64 lb female did 3 schooling races and was even faster than moose was before she just gave up due to being mistreated. if any one is looking for a good dog to have(be aware that they sleep for almost 23 out of 24 hours!!) just get with a greyhound track. they run about 200 bucks and come complete with all current shots and vet's bill of health. you will most likely sign a 3 page contract which tells you what you can and can not do with them. the contracts came about for two reasons as i understand it;
    1- they were being adopted by breeders who were using them for training their pitbulls for fighting.
    2- they prevent the dogs from being shipped to parts of asia (korea) where they are butchered for their national dishes.
    jack
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 02:37:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by prisonchef

mine nickname means i worked for 4 years teaching culinary arts in a boys prison (level 8. means they tried to kill somebody but were too dumb or lucky not to get the job done. yes they were armed with knives in the kitchen and no the guards were not armed)
    our company name 2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!, inc came from the two racing dogs we have. moose my 98 pounder male raced at 84 lbs until he tore a groin muscle when he slipped on the metal cross bar in the floor of the box. damn fast grade a and b dog. big corvette my redhaired 64 lb female did 3 schooling races and was even faster than moose was before she just gave up due to being mistreated. if any one is looking for a good dog to have(be aware that they sleep for almost 23 out of 24 hours!!) just get with a greyhound track. they run about 200 bucks and come complete with all current shots and vet's bill of health. you will most likely sign a 3 page contract which tells you what you can and can not do with them. the contracts came about for two reasons as i understand it;
    1- they were being adopted by breeders who were using them for training their pitbulls for fighting.
    2- they prevent the dogs from being shipped to parts of asia (korea) where they are butchered for their national dishes.
    jack

I was under the assumption that Greyhounds needed lots of activity.
    Even the retired/adopted ones.
    Can you email me and tell me more?
    Thats so sad about your boy!(sniff sniff.. tears here)...

Yes, Vic. T for Terrorizoring Tara
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 09:20:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Rocky hill, crag, tower, hillside, and is Gaelic or Celtic in origin.
    Or, if we want to go the ZEN route...

http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/tara/

Tara
    On the Zen site you posted, it gave one of the definitions of Tara as the following. "Tara~Irish Earth Goddess". Definitely some Celtic roots going on there. In the book, Mr. O'hara was an Irish immigrant, he named the plantation "Tara" (earth) and his daughter was "Katie Scarlett". If I am not mistaken her mothers name was Katherine.

Some of my family live right in the area where much of the locale in the book refers to. The road from Atlanta to Tara was "Jonesboro Rd." or 54 Hwy. Some of the old homes were used in shots of Tara and the "Oakes" house.

I realize the book was fictional, but Margaret Mitchell grew up near Fayetteville, and I personally doubt she could have authored the book (too young, and wrote nothing else substantial) without the recountings, memories and gossip from her spinster aunts.

I think it a beautiful name. "Irish Earth Goddess". Quite pretty with an interesting history.

Copper
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 09:53:29 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    From what I remember, John, means God's gracious gift. Everyone calls me Johnny.
    But the original inhabitants of Antarctica, (according to my friends, the descendants
    of the orignial inhabitants of Antarctica,) it means, "He who teaches not to eat
    the yellow or brown snow."
    But the people on the Island of Bustelo have told me John means, "Man with finger
    up his 'wayesseeah."
    I prefer the God's gracious gift.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 10:46:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
    From what I remember, John, means God's gracious gift. Everyone calls me Johnny.
    But the original inhabitants of Antarctica, (according to my friends, the descendants
    of the orignial inhabitants of Antarctica,) it means, "He who teaches not to eat
    But the people on the Island of Bustelo have told me John means, "Man with finger
    up his 'wayesseeah."
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

That's interesting FT. I have some island friends up north who say my name means "he who speaks and nothing but chicajimush comes from his mouth."
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 18:06:33 (permalink)
    Copper, Katie Scarlett was Scarlett's name, but I believe it was Kathleen, not Katherine.

Being a Kathleen myself....
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 21:38:12 (permalink)
    Thomas = twin.

BORING!

Tom
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 23:08:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:

Hello All,
    up his 'wayesseeah."
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

That's interesting FT. I have some island friends up north who say my name means "he who speaks and nothing but chicajimush comes from his mouth."

What the devil is a chicajimush?
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/06 23:57:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

quote:

Hello All,
    up his 'wayesseeah."
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

What the devil is a chicajimush?

Ojibway for "excrement" or "fecal material."
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 08:28:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Copper, Katie Scarlett was Scarlett's name, but I believe it was Kathleen, not Katherine.

Being a Kathleen myself....

Yes, you are right.

Kathleen is pretty also, my best friend in high school's name was the same. She spelled hers Cathleen, do you by that or do you have a nickname? I have never liked being called Cynthia (too prissy for my taste, but who likes their name?), certain places that I have to use my legal name usually have to call me three or four times before I realize it is me.

Copper
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 09:42:17 (permalink)
    Cynthia,
    You mean, you aint prissy? Here I'd been thinkin you were?!
    I had you pegged as a sweet demure calm type of woman who served her husband/mate with humility and contrite subserviance.
    Could I have been wrong?
    SHb
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 12:37:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Cynthia,
    I had you pegged as a sweet demure calm type of woman who served her husband/mate with humility and contrite subserviance.
    Could I have been wrong?
    SHb

I know, I know.........I have grown tired of my subservient facade. And found it necesssary to show my true self here on Roadfood.
    YOU HAVE EXPOSED ME!

I serve my mate with humility:
    For instance, when he requests something totally ignorant I do NOT scream, "You stupid C$#@%S*(&)^% B@#!^%$, kiss my A%^.
    I simply say, "NO".

I do serve him, FYI......sometimes its Bravo Juliet, sometimes its dessert laced with ex-lax, and sometimes its a Restraining Order.

Just depends on my mood, ya know?
    BYW, SHb, CYE.

Copper
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 15:16:23 (permalink)
    Dena was taken from the Middle English wording of Dena lagu or Danelagh, the 9th century name for the area of North and East England under the control of the Danes (Vikings). Somewhere along the line they used it to describe a valley area, so now it means Valley.

In Hebrew it means Vindicated. From the old testament Jacobs and Lias (Lea in the English Bible) daugher Dina. After having every man in the city circumcised as a dowry and because they were not Jewish, her brothers Simeon and Levi killed her husband and all the men there under the guise of protecting her honor. All we know after that is she loved the man she was to marry and for what her family did she cast her family away and left and they had to repay in many ways the killing of the men, thus Dina was vindicated. Using a spelling varient obviously.

And because most people still can't pronounce it, it's Dee nuh, both my name and the name out of the Old Testament, well at least the Jewish pronounce it that way.

I tried to pick good strong names that mean something for my own children as well.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 16:43:49 (permalink)
    Patrick: Drunkin tater eatin' mick!
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 20:28:27 (permalink)
    Screen Name: Salustra - name of a character in a Taylor Caldwell novel

(While my given name is Peggy, not Margaret, the cousin on whose birthday I was born was named 'Margaret', but called 'Peggy'. I'm guessing my son is really glad I didn't continue the tradition when he was born on my birthday!!! )
    Kaileen
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/07 22:03:14 (permalink)
    Kai'leen... well, it is a made up name. Basis was Kai, which is male, and Hawaiian for Ocean. I added the leen to make it feminine. It's pronounced like Eileen, but with a K.

I had my name legally changed in 1997, so this name is my choice. I like it better than the one I was born with.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/08 10:52:20 (permalink)
    I have always like the Hebrew meaning of my first name, Michael, "He who is like God" or "He who resembles God" depending on which text you read.

Much better is one story one of our teacher friends tells, she swears it is true. Young girl comes to class on the first day and everyone is introducing themselves. Sharon asks the girl to help her with her name.

Spelled ****head...seriously. The girl pronounces it "Sa Thead". And Johnny Cash thought naming a boy Sue was bad.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/08 11:18:46 (permalink)
    Oh, yeah, meant to put in my 2cents on the Gone With the Wind portion of the discussion...Katie Scarlett's mother's name was Ellen.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/08 12:29:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

Oh, yeah, meant to put in my 2cents on the Gone With the Wind portion of the discussion...Katie Scarlett's mother's name was Ellen.

RATZ! You are right, as many times as I have read the book.......what can I say, the ole memory just aint what she used to be. The name Katie came from Mr. O'hara's mother if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't read the book a lot cos I'm southern, but cos I leased my antique/cafe from a man named Herb Bridges. He is the #1 knowledgeable person about GWTW. He owns the largest collection of memorabelia in the world,
    thanks for tweakin my ole head.

Thanks,
    Salustra.
    Copper
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/08 13:11:07 (permalink)
    Whoa !!! What happened to your font and color ??? I hardly recognized you !!!
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/08 17:12:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

Had a moment of hurt feelings, whatta crop of XXXX that I let it affect me, no one here on this forum is responsible,.
    Its me being me, and I adore you, scbuzz.

Copper
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: So,, What IS in a name? 2006/06/08 23:44:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

quote:

Cynthia,
    Could I have been wrong?
    SHb

I know, I know.........I have grown tired of my subservient facade. And found it necesssary to show my true self here on Roadfood.
    YOU HAVE EXPOSED ME!

I serve my mate with humility:
    For instance, when he requests something totally ignorant I do NOT scream, "You stupid C$#@%S*(&)^% B@#!^%$, kiss my A%^.
    I simply say, "NO".

I do serve him, FYI......sometimes its Bravo Juliet, sometimes its dessert laced with ex-lax, and sometimes its a Restraining Order.

Just depends on my mood, ya know?
    BYW, SHb, CYE.

Copper

Bravo Copper! That's sorta my humble way toward my mate. . . but sometime, "no" just doesn't get it.
    Sorry, I never was good at working my secret decoder ring.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1