So... What's growing in your garden?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8109
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 00:24:11 (permalink)
I bought a mango tree this evening.  It will go on my patio along with my guava and Key Lime Tree.  

I like the exotics.  Key Limes aren't found here.

I had a passion fruit vine growing last year, but I dried out in our heat spell.

I have a small patio and no dirt so it's pots for me.  Now I'm looking for a Bay Laurel tree.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 16:49:19 (permalink)
OK Here is a brief update on the Orchard.

The yellow sweet cherries are going from tasteless unripe to brown rottin g in a day. Way to much heat and rain for proper sugar control in the fruit.

Here is a photo taken today.

The red cherries are doing ok. These are sour pie cherries and we made one batch of Cherry Preserves ( several pints and a quart) last night.

The Plums and Apricots should be next, but only the Plucots are showing any change at this point. Just frosted color, still hard and no taste.  This is our first in Indiana bunch of Plucots grown on thrown-away Sucker growth that made it here from the desert of SoCal and has finally started producing.

More to follow as the season progresses.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 17:56:57 (permalink)
I am SO VERY jealous!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 19:15:30 (permalink)
Marlene,
 I wish you were here. The heat (near 90 again today) and heavy thunderstorms that really wet things down are moving the cherries (a cool weather crop) so fast we can't pick fast enough. Janet finished picking enough for a double batch of preserves, but by tomorrow the remainder you see in the photos will be way past prime.

Now we pick them and then do the double boiling and Pectin thing. It will be another late evening in a hot kitchen, but next Fall and Winter it will be worth it.

We have a longer harvest time for the Plums, Pears and Apples...but the cherries come and go in just a few days.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 21:28:20 (permalink)
"Scratch one flat top" was the cry that went up from Commander Robert Dixon after his divebombers sank the first Jap carrier of WW2 at the Battle of the Coral Sea.

During today's Battle of Fontana, the cry is "Scratch one plum crop" as unseasonable Santa Ana Winds tore through the Cajon Pass to devastate my Santa Rosa plums.

Here is a view of the carnage under one tree:

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 22:09:40 (permalink)
Jack,
 I feel your pain !! We lost a large (Plum laden) branch on the Ozark Plum tree yesterday in a violent thunderstorm. The tree will survive, and we won't cut the broken branch until we see if it's fruit will continue to ripen. I have a feeling that all on it will be lost.

Our two Santa Rosa's don't have near the load that the Ozark does this year...but their fruit looks about like yours ('cept it's still on the trees!!)

I won't forget watching the video of a CHP car on the 15 near Devore that was on the left (downhill side) of an 18 wheeler when a gust of Santa Ana hit the empty trailer and dumped it on top of the police car. No injuries, but the cop saved herself by diving across the seat as she skidded to a stop with the trailer on top of her car. (97 or 98 I think).
Janet grew up in Fontucky so she remembers the gentle breezes well.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/29 22:18:50 (permalink)
I'll bet Janet remembers the gentle caresses of the Santa Anas. Kinda like being gently caressed by a grizzly bear's paw.

Of course, the bone-dry air that accompanies these conditions make it so I can't do a thing with my hair!

Meaning the hair on my face, naturally.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/30 01:37:04 (permalink)
Those Santa Anas made their way to Sherman Oaks today. They sounded like a train going through the store.

Sad thing in Los Angeles is that it brings out crazies theat like to light matches.

Why is it always in Griffith Park?
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/30 02:04:16 (permalink)
Because that's where some of the homeless crazies live...

You want to hear a freight train or five, come out here to the mouth of Cajon Canyon during a good blow. Bring some rope to tie yourself to a tree lest you end up setting down somewhere in OC.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/30 08:19:56 (permalink)
As the "Mayor" of that lush tropical paradise (Cajon Pass) I recall many times when the trains heading for L A were halted on the desert side of the Pass to prevent them from being blown off the track when the winds rushed down the canyon. Empty Auto-Racks (Car Carriers) were particularly vunerable, but even tank cars would roll off the tracks near the bottom of the Pass, where the winds were the strongest. Since the famous Nudist resort is located right in that danger zone, I often wondered how the resident's avoided being sandblasted during the gusts ???
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/30 08:28:58 (permalink)
mar52

I bought a mango tree this evening.  It will go on my patio along with my guava and Key Lime Tree.  

I like the exotics.  Key Limes aren't found here.

I had a passion fruit vine growing last year, but I dried out in our heat spell.

I have a small patio and no dirt so it's pots for me.  Now I'm looking for a Bay Laurel tree.

Sounds great, Marlene.  A hint from Key Lime Land: Let the limes ripen until they are yellow, for the best flavor and juiciness.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/30 09:04:02 (permalink)
The vegetable growing season is done down here.  I have chives, parsley and other herbs growing in the shade, but what I'm now waiting for are these babies:

Hopefully the squirrels, rats and parrots will leave me some.
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/30 17:16:05 (permalink)
 Mayor Al, sorry to hear about your poor weather conditions there. We still have had no rain. My tomatoes and basil love the hot weather but some of the other crops are starting to wilt. Still no fruit on the tomatoes, lots of flowers though. Going to be a great crop. The radishes are still going great. Carrots and dill finally came up.

Don, the mango tree looks great! My mom used to live in Gainsville and used to ship mangoes to me when I lived in Colorado.

David O.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 00:06:15 (permalink)
WOW!  Don't think my patio is large enough for my mango tree.  I can't plant it.

Parrots???

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 10:09:01 (permalink)
We have a pomegranate tree that does bear fruit but it's so badly planted (from the previous owner) that it really only manages one or two ripe fruits a season.  We're working on improving its conditions.

Marlene I probably made this up but I thought a bay laurel was a kind of magnolia, or there might be a kind of magnolia here that's called a bay laurel.  I don't see why you couldn't do that in a container, given a big enough container.  I just hate to pay as much as they want for the great big pots; I'm always on the lookout for a cheapie place to get pots.

Speaking of being cheap, we declared war on tomato cages this weekend.  We have two better boys and some other thing that are really a good month behind being caged and are starting to lean.  We have the Gardeners' Supply catalog and Julie just flat out rebelled at spending $12 to $15 apiece for cages, when we really need two cages per plant (cabled together).  So she found some Mother Jones something or other on tha Intarwebs last night where you cobble together something out of PVC and that's going to be our next little project.  Wish me luck on that. :)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 12:57:58 (permalink)
Nancy

I recall seeing groves of Pomagranite in the Visalia area of the Central Valley of CA. It is hot and dry there most of the year. I wondered how the fruit would do in the Humid South??

We have some cages, but for the heavy bearers we use the metal fence posts with heavy wire strung between them...like a short fence. Works for us, and the posts are easy enough to pull and reuse next season. We do the same for the 4 surviving Grape Vines
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 13:41:28 (permalink)
mar52: We have a couple of varieties of wild parrots around here (no doubt descended from runaways).

Nancypalooza:  Bay Laurel is one of the names of bay leaves we use in cooking. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Laurel

They can get very big, but they grow OK in pots.  I have one in a 14" pot.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 16:01:28 (permalink)
I don't buy tomato cages. I make my own out of wire garden fencing. I can add another layer as the plant gets taller. Looks like I am going to need some as the tomatoes are going gangbusters.

David O.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 16:55:10 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

Marlene I probably made this up but I thought a bay laurel was a kind of magnolia,

That would be a no.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 17:08:18 (permalink)
mar52

Now I'm looking for a Bay Laurel tree.

Try to find a California Bay Laurel (Umbellularia californica). Same qualities as the European bay, but much stronger, so you use fewer leaves.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/31 18:48:39 (permalink)
Ooooh, thanks for all the advise!  

I'd have an orchard if I could.  I don't do well with little, in the ground plants because they get attacked by the sargeant caterpillars. They can clear a plant of leaves in just a few hours.  They seem to attack just when the peppers or corn is fit to pick.  

Now I'm trying trees!  Just bought a Damsen Plum (or something like that) on Ebay.

Off to look for my Bay tree!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/01 09:47:24 (permalink)
Al: I really think that the previous owner of our house and the neighbor bought the trees maybe at the same time, probably for the foliage?  And the neighbor's is much taller, or maybe our owner liked hers and went and got one.  The orange of the flowers is gorgeous.  We always have about one or two fruit that get all the way to ripening but we always blamed that on the poor soil conditions.  Maybe it needs a friend?  We're actually going to be putting a small french drain in behind it and building up its bed, and we keep pruning it for shape so we'll see how it does next year.

Don/enginecapt: I told you I made it up!  :)
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/06 02:34:20 (permalink)
 Well, an update. Tomatoes now have about 200 blooms and some fruit on the vine. I will be pulling radishes for the rest of the summer as I keep planting in two week intervals. The Basil that I started indoors is now outside and just sprouting. Same with the chives. The green beans are robust and growing about 2 inches per day. The strawberries are doing well, lots of blooms. Carrots and dill are still sprouting but If I don't keep the dill free of blooms, it will take over the garden. 

The weather here has been great. We got a little rain on Thursday, so I took a day off from the garden to go fishing on Friday. (got shut out)  Oh well, the worst day fishing is still better than the best day working.

David O.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/06 08:36:53 (permalink)
Our garden which is owned by Mamaw Smith and myself is doing  very good.  Our early cabbage did not do good due to the insects which literally ripped them apart was not good and we tore them out.  Tomatoes, garlic, beans, beets, onions cucumbers and corn is doing very good.

We have had a issue with our sprinkler systerm.  We use water from the Tennessee River and we devloped a leak in the system.  We have tried to get it repaired ofr the past week but it appears that it will be Monday before we can repair it.  The water is spraying into my boathouse storage area by the gallons.  I covered the leak with towels to keep it from spraying my equipment.  That worked but the water was immense inside the boat storage system.

I have about 200 feet of New Guinea Impatients that create a huge amount of roadshow.  They need water every day.  I watered them yesterday at the expense of my boat house which was hosed by leaking water.

Water and food makes the garden and plants grown and bloom.  Without it, nothing works.

Hopefully the irrigation folks show up tomorrow morning.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/06 09:26:37 (permalink)
I'm posting the large size of this so you can see (sorry screen size folks) but what's growing now is baby amphibians of some sort: 

Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/06 10:28:30 (permalink)
   Awww! They're so cute!  Take THAT Octomom....    
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/08 07:55:07 (permalink)
My garden is 14 x 80.  I'm growing onions, peppers ( several varieties,tomatoes, watermelon, zucchini, okra, beans, lettuce, potatoes.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/11 12:45:22 (permalink)
New home in a new area for me. Poor soil, heavy clay so I mixed in some humus to lighten it up some. This year will be a learning experiance for my garden.    I put some temp raised beds for insurance of some type of fresh vegtables. chow Jim                  
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/14 13:33:16 (permalink)
Despite the 90 degree temp. and 90% humidity today, we are picking and making our first batch of Apricot "Butter". Unfortunately the fruit is high in the trees, so Janet is standing on the hood of the tractor while I pull the springing (and wet) branches down so she can use the picker to get the fruit.

With that done, and the buggy parts cut out, we have cleaned and boiled the fruit with some Apple Juice for sweetening and it is now in the slow-cooker (about a two gallon batch). After 6-7 hours we'll bottle it up !  The next batch will be from better Apricots, so we have high hopes for a good supply for the winter.  This is a big  deal for us. We both love Apricots and have worked for ten years to get these trees to produce useable fruit.

NEXT DAY--
 One of the Chinese Apricot "Bushes" that forgot the limit for its growth. Still a lot of fruit after picking a two gallon batch yesterday.

post edited by mayor al - 2010/06/15 11:58:26
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/06/15 07:10:04 (permalink)
I picked my first zucchini yesterday and I should have some tomatoes by July 4 which was always my benchmark date.  The birds have eaten every cherry from my cherry tree.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1