So... What's growing in your garden?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/11 10:32:23 (permalink)
We tasted a couple of apples yesterday. They shouldn't be ready for another month , but the constant 90 degree plus temps are wrecking the normal garden/orchard schedule this year. Looks like we will be doing some Apple Butter in July this year....That's a first for us.
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/11 11:44:01 (permalink)
My cherry tomatoes are ripening quickly but my other tomatoes are loaded with fruit that's still green. We've had a few cucumbers and there are quite a few more on the vines. I also picked a Japanese eggplant. My other eggplants are doing well also. The herbs of course are taking over, I guess I will have to cut them back and dry or freeze them.
Much better year  for my garden. Last year I got to eat about four tomatoes before the late blight overtook them.
I'm really enjoying reading about all your gardens!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/11 14:49:11 (permalink)
Agnes,

Here is Janet prepping the garden just before the Derby (May 1st) using her favorite tool, a lady-pushed old hand-cultivator.  After the ground had been tilled a couple of times!

And here is how the garden looked yesterday (July 10). It has come along way.!!
Tonight, Sunday, we will grill a couple of steaks and use some Summer Squash chunks, Onions and local Peaches marinated and on skewers on the grill to go with the steaks.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/23 05:31:43 (permalink)
  Great looking garden Al!! 

The weather here has been cool and cloudy for the past three weeks so not much sun.  :(

Well, the green bean vines have reached 8 feet tall and still no flowers as of yet. They have grown onto my upstairs neighbor's balcony onto their trellis. I told them that they can have any beans that pop up there.

Carrots are doing well but are still small even after 3 months. I tried a few baby ones yesterday and they were sweet and delicious. I have another 8 ft. row to harvest late season.

The strawberries are in full bloom and producing wonderful sweet berries every day. I decided to let the runners go for the rest of the season for a bigger patch next year.

The tomatoes are doing great except that I had to remove the cages as the tomatoes inside the plants weren't getting any sun. Still, I have nothing ripe on the vines. About 200 greenies though.

The dill is the only herb that has done really well out of doors . I brought the chives and basil inside and they are doing much better. A lot of new growth. I will be building an extended shelf for the herbs and indoor plants tomorrow.

I am thinking of planting a few more rows of radishes again as they mature so quickly here.

The late summer can be warm here but the frost comes so quickly.

Happy Growing everybody!!

David O.

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/23 09:04:40 (permalink)
I borrowed a hav-a-hart trap from a friend and have to- date caught and taken for a ride across the river: 1 skunk (got lucky - no bad spay), 1 possum, 1 woodchuck, 1 rabbit. My garden has not been damaged for almost a week now.

I had tried spraying an animal deterrent around the garden, but it did not seem to do much good - something was still eating my marigolds and zinnias.

We picked our first cherry and yellow pear tomatoes a few days ago. The local farmer's markets and roadside stands are offering excellent sweet corn, tomatoes, cherries, and peaches now, so life is good.

Cheers, John 
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3539
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/23 13:03:21 (permalink)
I'm borrowing my brother-in-law's garden next week.  He's got pole beans, zucchini, summer squash, green peppers, jalapenos, and four kinds of tomatoes about to be ready and I'm house-sitting while they're on vacation starting Monday.  There may be other things as well.

I learned something a couple of weeks ago regarding animals digging in gardens...no better repellent than human hair!  If you've got a friend who works at a barber shop or salon, ask them to bag the clippings periodically for you.  If not, ask them to save your own, and/or clean out brushes, etc. outside and let the hair fall around your plants.  It works sort-of for animals eating aboveground plants, but it's amazing for animals that dig, particularly flower bulbs.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/23 22:32:40 (permalink)
  So... I put a shelf in the living room for the herbs and they are already responding to the warmer temps in the house. The basil and chives already are sprouting new leaves. I will keep them indoors for the rest of the year. I used some of the plentiful dill weed to flavor some fresh caught trout and salmon that we hooked this week.

David O.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/28 06:55:24 (permalink)
  Tomatoes finally ripening!! I cut off the tops of the vines in hopes that the fruit will get more light, and also to put more energy to the fruit on the vine as opposed to growing more leaves. Seems to be working. Green beans are now more than 12 feet tall and still have not flowered. They are now firmly attached to my upstairs neighbor's trellis on their balcony.

Happy growing,

David O.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/28 13:06:20 (permalink)
                          D I S A S T E R  ! ! ! !

Today, as the A/C kept me alive in the house, we suffered a major disaster in the Pantry/Laundry Room. The metal shelving in that room was pretty well loaded with cases of "Put-UP" Fruit and some Veggies too.  Suddenly about 2 hours ago, came a MAJOR crash sound from that room.  One of the shelves had pulled away from the wall and crashed onto the laundry machines and then to the floor. The area is directly in front of the 'Doggie Door' the Scotties use for entering and exiting the house.  Many bottles of fruit smashed and broke and the contents are mixed  with chunks of broken glass over and area of about 6 ft x 3 ft.

I have picked up and washed about 4 cases of bottles that were not damaged in the fall, but did get smeared with contents from the bottles that did break. Still at least 4 cases of bottles on the floor in varying condition. I can't tell if the bottle is broken until I pick it up and manually check it for leaks. Looks like a loss of about 2 cases (24 bottles) of various fruit. " /> 
It looks like the shelf worked it's way loose due to the vibration of the nearby furnace/AC unit. 

We'll find a safer location for our food!! What a huge waste of good food and a lot of hard Prep Labor !!

post edited by mayor al - 2010/07/28 13:11:52
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/28 17:03:13 (permalink)
  Sorry to hear about your calamity Al. A lot of hard work and love down the drain... as it were.

David O.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4541
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/28 17:11:25 (permalink)
I can't remember a better tasting tomato than the ones I am getting now.  I believe the long, extremely hot dry spell was responsible. 

I planted a San Marzano plum tomato that is thriving.  I eat 5 or 6 of them right in the garden while I am picking.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3737
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/07/28 18:03:51 (permalink)
mayor al

D I S A S T E R  ! ! ! !

Today, as the A/C kept me alive in the house, we suffered a major disaster in the Pantry/Laundry Room. The metal shelving in that room was pretty well loaded with cases of "Put-UP" Fruit and some Veggies too.  Suddenly about 2 hours ago, came a MAJOR crash sound from that room.  One of the shelves had pulled away from the wall and crashed onto the laundry machines and then to the floor. The area is directly in front of the 'Doggie Door' the Scotties use for entering and exiting the house.  Many bottles of fruit smashed and broke and the contents are mixed  with chunks of broken glass over and area of about 6 ft x 3 ft.

I have picked up and washed about 4 cases of bottles that were not damaged in the fall, but did get smeared with contents from the bottles that did break. Still at least 4 cases of bottles on the floor in varying condition. I can't tell if the bottle is broken until I pick it up and manually check it for leaks. Looks like a loss of about 2 cases (24 bottles) of various fruit. " /> 
It looks like the shelf worked it's way loose due to the vibration of the nearby furnace/AC unit. 

We'll find a safer location for our food!! What a huge waste of good food and a lot of hard Prep Labor !!

What a loss.................after all that hard work.  Sorry for you.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/01 04:03:02 (permalink)
joerogo

I can't remember a better tasting tomato than the ones I am getting now.  I believe the long, extremely hot dry spell was responsible. 

I planted a San Marzano plum tomato that is thriving.  I eat 5 or 6 of them right in the garden while I am picking.

Joe, when I lived in Arizona, I had some of the sweetest tomatoes and strongest basil that I ever grew. I am sure that it was due to the hotter temps.

Here in AK, the basil is weak and the tomatoes are not as sweet or big. The weather here has been very cool and wet for the past few months as mentioned earlier.

David O.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/01 13:32:51 (permalink)
Al,

What a tragedy to lose those bottles of fruit!!!  Nothing can replace them.

I so enjoyed the photo of the old hand cultivator.  My niece has my grandfather's cultivator that she uses on her garden.  I don't know exactly how old it is, but my mother who is 88 says that she remembers it being used on my grandfather's farm when she was a child.

We only have tomato plants this year.  This time of the summer I get fresh green beans & cucumbers from the farmers market.  Practically all of our meals include southern style green beans(salt pork, chunk of onion, salt, pepper,little bit of sugar),sliced cucumbers & onions(marinated in vinegar,water, sugar,salt,pepper) & sliced tomatoes.  We eat the cherry tomatoes just like grapes,so sweet & good.  Also, I make caprese salad,gazpacho, BLT's with the tomatoes.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8067
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/01 13:49:57 (permalink)
Oh no!  So sorry about the loss of your fruit and labor.

Please give that floor another rub down to keep the Scotties safe.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/01 22:24:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the sympathy notes. Our net loss was about 12 pint jars of various fruit, mainly Apricot Butter.  We were very lucky that one box broke apart as it fell into the open washing mashine...that had almost a load of clothing ready to wash...so it was pretty cushioned when it hit the bottom and nothing broke in that one. The floor was pretty messy until we got the visible glass pieces out of the way, then scrubbing it went fairly quickly.

Our squashes have come and now are pretty much gone.  the Roma Tomatoes are ripening faster that we can get foliks to0 come over to pick them. Peppers are doing great too.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 05:28:27 (permalink)
  Could have been worse.  We be thankful for what we have left!

Supposedly, the weather here is going to warm up and we may even see a little sun this week. The Romas are starting to ripen and the green beans are up to the railing of my upstairs neighbor's balcony. (no flowers as of yet.)

I will be pulling carrots through the week as they are ready. I will have another late harvest crop in mid-Sept.  I might pickle some with the dill that is also doing great.

I could probably squeeze one more crop of radishes in before our first frost. (Maybe.)

Strawberries are done producing fruit so I let them run riot over the rest of the garden for a bigger patch next year. 

Basil and Chives doing much better indoors.

Happy Growing!!

David O.

kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 08:59:48 (permalink)
Garlic harvested this weekend:

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 13:32:36 (permalink)
Yuuuuuuuum!
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 14:03:11 (permalink)
The local Deer population
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 15:51:10 (permalink)
Those garlic look great ! We had neighbors on the high desert in SoCal who had a 4 acre plot of Elephant Garlic. Even though that is a VERY mild strain of Garlic, when the fields were pulled and drying, the odor was pretty strong for some distance around thier place.  I love that smell!!
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 17:06:23 (permalink)
Yeah, all the garlic drying in the shed and the basement make it smell a lot.  Kinda like kielbasa, actually.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/02 18:10:34 (permalink)
Speaking of smells-------living in Brooklyn as a kid it was not unusual to have 8 nationalities living in one brownstone.  2 families per floor X 4 floors high.   Every family cooked their different stuff 8 different ways. 

Kitchens were right off the common halls and there were no such things as hoods and fans.-----the halls had the job of blending all 8 odors and making them into one hetrogenic appetizing aroma-----never worked. 
Living on the top floor was a real adventure-----hot air and smells rise to the 4th floor and sit there.
post edited by the ancient mariner - 2010/08/02 18:13:40
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/05 06:18:22 (permalink)
  Yeah, I know the smell. Vietnamese food in on place, Indian in another, Spanish in the other and Italian in another. Don't forget the Germans and the Jews. Also the Pakistanis, Iranians, Russians, and Poles. I used to live in a tenement in Dodge City, KS. that had all of the above living in the same 12 apt. complex with 3 floors. I kid you not!  What a cacophony of aromas.  Bordering on stench!!

JMHO

David O.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/13 17:06:00 (permalink)
My three year old rosemary bush and tarragon are turning brown, stalk by stalk, and I'm sick that I caused it by overwatering - This summer has been brutally hot, and I'm convinced it's root rot, if not, the plants are stressed from too much heat and water - now we've got a tropical depression out there bringing thunderstorms every day for about 4 straight days.

For something more positive, here's an interesting recipe for rosemary:

Tuscan and Rosemary Pine Nut Bars

1/4 c. pine nuts
1 stick butter, cut in 10 pieces
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 TBSP. chopped fresh rosemary, or 2 tsp. dried
1 c. all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350.  Spread pine nuts over a baking sheet, toast, tossing once or twice during roasting, to prevent burning.  When they reach a shade darker and are fragrant (about 5 mins.), remove  from baking sheet and set aside. 

In the meantime, add pats of butter to a small saucepan until melted through.  Remove from burner, slowly stir in sugar, rosemary, and pine nuts.  Then add in flour to make a stiff dough.  Spread dough evenly in a 8" ungreased square baking pan lined with parchment.  Bake until golden brown and firm, about 20 minutes (turn once half way through cooking).    

Cool pan on rack, then take a sharp knife and cut into 16 squares.  Will keep for a week in an airtight container, and for a  month in a zip loc bag in the freezer. 

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8067
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/13 17:20:43 (permalink)
Can I cut the butter into 8pieces?  

These actually sound interesting.  

Sorry about your rosemary and thyme.  I've never been able to grow Rosemary without it immediately turning brown.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/13 17:32:28 (permalink)
Mar52- yeah you can cut the butter in 8 pieces, I knew it sounded dumb, when I wrote it, but it's from the original recipe and I think the idea is to keep from melting all at once too fast and having it separate?  The parchment is my addition, because I'm afraid in a metal pan, the bottom and sides may scorch.  Give it a try, it's ... different. 

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2011
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/18 20:24:24 (permalink)
Small potato,,,great tomato....
Our potato crop (a 15x15 plot) is a bust. Lots of B sized spuds. They taste great, but the yield is not much more than I planted. Even "Caribe" which often gets over sized, was small. I did plant the Caribe close together to hold back on lunkers, but this would have been a year for normal spacing.

The tomatoes are another story. They are wonderful, early, and are yielding like crazy. For a few years I have planted "Marmand" and "Super Marmand", updates of the classic French heirloom. They have not done well for me, and the flavor has been average. If not for some left over seeds, I'd have not planted it this year. With our hot dry summer, though, they did very well. This year, Marmand is big at about a pound each, well shaped, with few scars, and perfect , fresh garden tomato flavor. The "Speckled Romans" are the prettiest tomatoes, and the "old Germans" are nice too, but since I have so many, I am eating mostly the Marmands.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/19 05:27:12 (permalink)
  Well...

Time for another rainy update.

The weather here has not been kind to my garden. So far we have had 32 days of rain in a row. We broke a 100 year old record! Also the temperature has not been above 70 degrees since May. (another record)

Needless to say that the tomatoes are doing poorly. Not ripening well, and the flavor is flat. The green beans are doing great, about 20 ft. tall, but still no flowers yet??? Carrots that I pulled after 3 months were small but very sweet. I still have a row to pull at the end of the season. The dill is the only thing in the garden that hasn't been affected by the cooler temps and relentless rain.

That being said, since I moved the basil and the chives indoors, they are doing much better. I'll keep them through the winter inside as they have a nice shelf in full sun for the solstice.

I am starting to worry about moose getting into the garden as they are going to be rutting early because of the cooler weather. I'll try to top fence it in. They hang around the back yard a lot and get more aggressive as the weather turns cold.

Happy Growing and Eating

David O.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/08/19 07:04:37 (permalink)
Flowers are beautiful, I'm still buried in Tomatoes, most other veggies done in by the unusual hot summer. All fruit is gone.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1