So is the credit card reader interest over.

Author
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2013/01/16 22:59:32 (permalink)

So is the credit card reader interest over.

Is it worth while to invest another $150 more for the phone and service to be able to accept credit cards. I wish someone would enlighten me. I don't know whether to go left right or back-up.

If you are hip to this service perhaps you could recommend a phone that us beginners can afford please? If it isn't that good of an add on please tell us newbies please.
Thanks again

29 Replies Related Threads

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/16 23:31:46 (permalink)
    Interest over?  Not in the slightest.....I scan cards every single night from people that have no cash.  It's entirely worth it....I can't remember your situation Brick but do you not have a smart phone?  I have a quite simple smart phone from virgin mobile that I use.  I started with Square and after I opened business for some reason it wasn't working so I found out that BOA had their own little cell phone scanner!  And since my account was with BOA anyway it was a natural fit....AND the percentage per swipe is LESS than Square with NO annual fees. 

So I'm assuming you have no phone that will worth with these phone swipers?  I would say that it's worth it....
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/17 13:26:01 (permalink)
    Kevin,
    What Virgin model do you have. I'm looking at one now but if it doesn't work with Square, I'm wasting more  time. Man I've been researching 3 days and getting no where. Any suggestions. I don't think I've seen a 
    BOA in my town. We have Bank Of West, US Bank, Wells Fargo and a few others but no BOA. 

I guess part of the problem is working with "Cleartalk" too. $75 a month with unlimited everything for both my wife and myself VS $120 a month that we had with AT&T for 1000 minutes a month.

Square has a list of 4 or 5 phones gauranteed to work, but they are Galaxy $500 to $800. Hell my pickup that I lay brick with isn't worth much more than that and I'm not breaking any hot dog sales records to boot. Lol!
    Kevin thanks for any help man!
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2051
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/17 15:26:25 (permalink)
    Does sprint cover your area? If so, go to Boostmobile.com
    Check out the Samsung galaxy for $129, no contract, unlimited phone and data for $55 mo. I had boost for two years, would still have it but does not cover wher I moved to.
    chefbuba
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/17 15:32:57 (permalink)
    Square will work with any Android phone running Android version 2.2 or higher, i think most new are running v4.0
    Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/17 16:01:24 (permalink)
    last season I used an Iphone 3, worked great in an area with mo wi-fi and 1 bar. Just had to close all apps before use.I think 3's are  $.99 at ATT.
    Looking forward to using my 5 this season which for me starts in May.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/18 01:33:16 (permalink)
    Craig, kevin,

I have to stay with the $72 unlimited everything plan with Clear Talk. I'm pretty sure that a Motorola Droid A855 will work with Cleartalk and Square Card Reader.
    An employee at the Clear Talk store said he had a friend with that particular phone and that he used Square Card Reader with it. I'll do a bit more research and probably get one ordered tomorrow.
    Thanks so much for the help. Man I've been with out a phone for going on 4 days. It's not so much missing the phone. It wanting to be ready in case I get the Little League games and practice set up this spring. I'm sure many parents will have Credit Cards. Don't they spend more using cards than they do cash? At least that's what I heard.
    Thanks again
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/18 15:14:16 (permalink)
    Man, I can't believe all the people complaining about "Square" holding their money for up to 180 days. It seems it is going to put some of those folks out of business. 
    "Gopayment also has many complaints and despite that they have a phone support system which "Square" does not have, some say they got tired of waiting on hold and had to hang up. 
    Sounds like more stress that I don't need trying to get my Hot Dog business going. Now I don't have to worry about upgrading my phone. I'll admit it will remain in my head, but I'd like to talk my self into forgetting about it and move on.
    Check this out before you're sorry like these folks:
    http://www.cardpaymentopt...mment-page-5/#comments
    post edited by brickboo - 2013/01/18 15:15:30
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/19 08:33:26 (permalink)
    I used a virgin mobile lg phone 79 bucks 45 bucks for unlimited everything worked very well ..............untill about 4 months ago at around 8:30 every day the thing would take forever to approve the sale full bars, full 3 g but would take forever,, actually it would even just kick he sale out and not even give notice on the screen that it did so.... i called virgin and asked if they slowed there data or what was going on they had no answers for me.. square now has a deal where you can invite someone (a worker) to accept sales for you,, hence they could use there phone and have the sales $$ go into your account, they cannot see or adjust any of your info just swipe the card as if i was your phone,,,the gal hat works for us had a  metro pcs i set her up to take c.c. tosee if her phone would be better than the one i had......hers worked great! we tried it for 3 day all went well needless to say i went with metro p.c.s..
    chefbuba
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/19 11:59:57 (permalink)
    brickboo

Man, I can't believe all the people complaining about "Square" holding their money for up to 180 days. It seems it is going to put some of those folks out of business. 
    "Gopayment also has many complaints and despite that they have a phone support system which "Square" does not have, some say they got tired of waiting on hold and had to hang up. 
    Sounds like more stress that I don't need trying to get my Hot Dog business going. Now I don't have to worry about upgrading my phone. I'll admit it will remain in my head, but I'd like to talk my self into forgetting about it and move on.
    Check this out before you're sorry like these folks:
    http://www.cardpaymentopt...mment-page-5/#comments

Most  of these complaints are regarding large payments, not one mention from someone charging $20-50-100 a day. It's a pretty simple system, don't know why all these people have to call and talk to someone about using the service. If you read the details, it's all there.
     I have been using Square for over two years, never a problem, M-Th charges are deposited next day, Fri-Sun are deposited next business day.
    There are several people on here that use Square and have reported no problems. I'm sure if there were, they would have said something about it here. Look at the positive, not the doom & gloom.
    You talked yourself out of it well before you saw the reviews, just trying to buy a phone seemed too difficult.
    It's your business and you have the right to be cash only.
    post edited by chefbuba - 2013/01/19 12:02:38
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/19 14:10:27 (permalink)
    The credit card interest has just begun. just "google" cashless society. Its coming. Heck, I understand social security checks will no longer be sent, will have to have them direct desposit if I understand right. More and more people have no cash, just credit/debit cards. My youngest son and I go out and eat lunch every now and then, he puts his five buck meal on a card. He carrys no cash. Late night at motorcycles rallies I vend at, after the bands shut down at 2AM, people drunk and broke. They pull out their cards. I use Square, have never had a problem with it. I do not give receipts nor send customer any notices of their purchases. No signature required on $25 or less. I use a GoPhone from Wal-Mart. Android. $65.00 month. I don`t advertise I take cards, but if they ask, I accept. I`d rather deal with the cash! Good luck, get your head out of your %(#, accept cards, and welcome to the 21st century. Its going to be a wild, wild ride.........
    post edited by FriedTater - 2013/01/19 14:11:33
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/19 14:27:48 (permalink)
    I found a Motorola Droid A855 Smartphone. It works with Clear Talk service and it works with Intuit Go Payment. It's a night mare trying to find something that works with Clear Talk and Square unless you buy a $500 Galaxy it seems. Maybe this Motorola will work with Square also. I'll check it out.

Is there anyone here that uses Intuit Go Payment? It would be nice to here of your experience. Go Payment does have a handy chat that seemed to work very well. Of course she was trying to sign me up.  Maybe for complaining it's impossible! Lol!
    post edited by brickboo - 2013/01/19 14:30:33
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 762
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/19 18:42:11 (permalink)
    It may be a cashless society soon in most places, but here in Bugtussle, everybody carries cash, except me(tho now I have a cash business I tend to have it). Can't even pay my meals tax with plastic or online. Or even my property tax for that matter. In two years I've only had one person want to pay with plastic.
    If I already felt the need to have a Smart Phone, sure I'd use square. I don't even have a dumb phone and don't really want one. Plus the reception around here is so bad, I doubt it would work.
    Boo, if you're struggling now, can you afford a new phone? Are you losing business or turning away people with no cash? If someone flashed me a card at my regular spot and had no cash, I'd accept an IOU.
    But that's just me......

brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/20 12:19:43 (permalink)
    Jack,
    Good points! However I've got my eye on the little league soccer, football, and baseball park locally in Fruit Co. This park is real nice and new. I checked it out at the second to the last Saturday last year.

There must have been a couple of hundred young children and it seems like tons of Moms, Pops, family and friends were all there. The folks around here are real big on wanting their kid to be the next Drew Brees I guess.

I don't know maybe 1000, 1500 people or more were there. They were paying some guy to take a picture of their kid with a soccer ball and a backdrop  curtain. Isn't that funny? I bet all the parents there had a $500-$800 Galaxy phone too. Maybe they don't know how to take pictures with them, I don't know!

The economy is terrible, but there are folks here with money. I don't have a clue where they get it other the the oil shale projects etc.

There was no concession stand. People told me that they had to leave and go to town to even get a snack. I didn't see a vending machine. I'm sure that there are families there with 2, 3, 4, kids that might want to use a VISA Card.

I don't want to wait to start this and then try to get set up. If I can just get the phone I need for my "Cleartalk" that will work with one of the Card Readers I'll be ready. It's not supposed to take very long to get set up with one of the card reader companies.

So that is what I'm thinking about. I think If I can get the spot, I'd lose a lot of money by not being set up with a card reader. Of course I've been wrong most of my life in money making decisions, otherwise I would not have had to lay brick for a living.
    chefbuba
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/20 13:46:59 (permalink)
    Why are you stuck on clear talk? Do you have a contract with them, are they the only service that works in your area?
    You don't need to spend $800 on a phone!
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/20 16:08:05 (permalink)
    Craig,
    I was with AT&T for a few years $100 to $120 a month for:
    1. Plain phone.
    2. With 1000 minutes with roll-over minutes and great reception even between my town of Fruita Colorado and Salt Lake City Utah on a literal desert for miles. Haven't tried this with Cleartalk yet.

Now with Cleartalk I get:
    1. Unlimited minutes.
    2. Unlimited text.
    3. Internet but I don't use it. I do internet on my laptop.
    My wife and I on a family plan is $72 a month total. When I go to a Smartphone, I'll have to pay another $5 a month. Maybe it's $10 more?

Craig,
    As far as I know both my wife and I have everything my son has with Verizon and he has a Galaxy Smartphone with the works. 
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/21 10:55:22 (permalink)
    or you can just buy a plain wireless terminal for your cart.
    I see these at swapmeets. and during a power failure, only they still make money.
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/21 12:14:48 (permalink)
    I had cards 7 or 8 years ago, I canceled them, too expensive.
    I turn away maybe 2 sales a week because people have no cash, all my regular customers know we don't accept plastic.
    I would much rather turn away a few sales than have a lot of people use plastic to pay a 3 dollar bill and if you let them they will. I would then have to pay the card people between 4 and 8 thousand a year.
    If you set up in the park and only take cash they will bring cash and you get to keep it all.
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/21 13:05:51 (permalink)
    true too.
    that is the whole idea of working for our selfs in the first place.

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 762
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/21 20:13:10 (permalink)
    Boo, have you secured the gig at the Ball Park yet? You nail that and I can see the need for CC's.
    On the other hand, if you are regular and they know you only take cash, they will bring it. Accept checks, that may help.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/21 22:24:04 (permalink)
    All very good advice. The Smartphone will cost a bit more than my cheapy phones I've been using since 1995 or so about. Then they will raise my payment $10 a month.

Corey what is a wireless terminal? I assume you're talking a reader that sits on a counter but wireless. Would you need a service provider at so much a month etc
    Thanks to everyone trying to help.
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/22 00:15:19 (permalink)
    well yeah. it just dont need a phone.

happyhotdogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/25 12:43:50 (permalink)
    There's always PayPal too...that's what we use...recognized name/public confidence.  Phone-wise?  I'm not much help as I've been an iPhone guy since 2008. (using iPhone 4...used about $150-200)

Mainly we started offering due to large orders from company employees (started offering delivery).
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/26 13:15:21 (permalink)
    I really don't understand the mentality of not taking plastic...turning away sales. I have people that come to my cart because I DO take plastic. I would much rather make the sale and pay the less than 2% than not make a sale at all...
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/26 13:58:37 (permalink)
    Kevin,
    I agree! However I must admit I only had one request at the night club gig I did one weekend last Fall to help my friend out. But you can't go by me, because I probably do the least amount of sales on Earth. I'm just trying to help my son out. I wish we could get some first hand experience with Intuit's Go-payment. That would be nice.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/26 14:07:55 (permalink)
    Here's a forum devoted to the topic...

http://community.intuit.com/category/gopayment

Not sure how free they are to say whatever is on the minds...but it can't hurt to look or ask others how they feel.
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/26 18:19:31 (permalink)
    You're right Brick...just goes to show you that markets can really be different...one thing that works in one place can not work in another. I think that maybe this is one of those things that might become more popular as time goes on...
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/26 21:13:59 (permalink)
    Colleen,
    Thanks for the link. Maybe we'll get more comments on this post too. I hope! In the mean time another friend told me that he didn't have any trouble with Square. He commented that it seems the trouble is with accepting payments of $1,000 or more where they hold the funds. They make a lot of interest during that time too with your money.

I read 15 years ago that a bank could turn a $1 bill over 33 times in a day or two. I wonder what the ratio is today? And to think there really is no money in the transaction. It's really just numbers in a computer. Seems scary to me.
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/26 21:29:33 (permalink)
    djdawg

I really don't understand the mentality of not taking plastic...turning away sales. I have people that come to my cart because I DO take plastic. I would much rather make the sale and pay the less than 2% than not make a sale at all...

It's not just 2%, even if it was for me that's 4,000 in 6 months.
    My phone cost 60 dollars my air time is 100 dollars a year.
    So add the big phone and the air time it would cost me another 1200 a year at least.
    I keep thinking about adding it for my customers convenience but I can't justify the little extra business for that kind of money.
    The other thing I found it slows down my line when it's really busy, cash is quicker, I still don't like getting stuck behind people in the store that are using plastic.
    Most people me included would just like to carry a card but you still need 20 dollars tucked away just in case the machines don't work. So I'm supplying the consumer free education by not taking their plastic. It's a hard lesson to learn, no cash no Ice Cream.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:So is the credit card reader interest over. 2013/01/27 00:22:04 (permalink)
    Well, I always over estimate, but I can dream can't I? I keep thinking of the rich moms and the one's whose husbands make $100,000+ annually in the oil bidness ( that's the way they say it in Texas. Bidness, not Business. My son lived in Texas for a few years with his mom, my "X") coming up to the cart with her son and his team mates for hot dog combos to the tune of $50-$100. I'd bet $100 that she doesn't have $10 cash in her pocket. Then I'll turn around and bet the next fellow everything I own that she has at least 5 credit cards in her purse. Think about it. Man I have to get hooked up with the little league ball games and practice. I'm going to try to make it happen.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1