So much for Food Reality TV Shows! Soul Daddy bites the dust.

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
2011/09/27 00:56:11 (permalink)

So much for Food Reality TV Shows! Soul Daddy bites the dust.

http://www.fastcasual.com/article_print/182371/Chipotle-invested-2-3-million-in-Soul-Daddy

3 Replies Related Threads

HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:So much for Food Reality TV Shows! Soul Daddy bites the dust. 2011/09/28 12:06:41 (permalink)
    Never heard of it.I read the link, but i don't think the idea would go over big.Minnesota is  not soul food country,and neither is New York, and they have Sylvia's in Harlem. It might have worked, if people hadn't tinkered with it,the food I mean.Was not well thought out.They should have opened one in Detroit first, since this is where the originator is from .Start small, then expand as things pick up and go from there,but you need good food and good locations.
    I really don't think a fast food soul food chain will work in this country.
    Oh maybe in the south,where both whites and blacks eat much the same thing, but not in places like New York or California,and certainly not in Minnesota or Wisconsin for example.in those areas, too many germans,swedes, poles,etc. they have their own cultures version of soul food.
    Though to be fair, most people like fried chicken,that 's why Church's Chicken and KFC are such national and even international biggies.
    By the way, now they are talking about hamburgers,and since Chipolte kicked in money on this deal, they had Chipolte is also coming out with a burger cahin,and Domino's also wants to get in on the act.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:So much for Food Reality TV Shows! Soul Daddy bites the dust. 2011/09/28 12:40:27 (permalink)
    I don't get it. The locations folded in a month. With all that money and professional management committed to the project, one month is hardly enough time for any restaurant to start generating a profit and they certainly would understand that. This fiasco wasn't about Wood's concept, it was all about promoting a TV series. He was just a disposable prop in the end. The judges and the show probably made vastly more money then what was invested. To me this looks entirely planned as part of the operational budget of producing the show series. They destroyed the man's food,concept, and vision.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:So much for Food Reality TV Shows! Soul Daddy bites the dust. 2011/10/04 11:58:46 (permalink)
    Dawn T, yes you're right and that's a shame.I wonder what Wood's is going to do now. If it was me, maybe  I'd get a lawyer and see if  something could be done if anything.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1