So much for exclusivity

Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3501
2011/02/04 22:57:29 (permalink)

So much for exclusivity

Here in Grand Rapids we have Michigan's only five diamond restaurant, the 1913 Room.  It is located inside the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel downtown.

They have just decided to close it and instead open a Ruth's Chris steakhouse.

*sigh*   But it must be OK!  They're offering current employees jobs there, and one of the private dining rooms will be named the 1913 Room.  Jesus wept.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/01/grand_rapids_1913_room_in_amwa.html

Ruth’s Chris also will give the hotel a chance to project a more contemporary, more casual image than The 1913 Room, which at one time required men to wear jackets and still does not permit denim in the main dining room.

I fail to see how this is an improvement, myself.  You don't wear denim to a five diamond restaurant.
post edited by felix4067 - 2011/02/04 23:01:10

8 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/05 19:08:43 (permalink)
    OMG!  This is a tragic loss for you folks.  Were The French Room at the Adolphus to close and be replaced by an Outback I would be almost as pained as you, comforted only by the fact that the replacement restaurant is a bit better than yours. 

I hope Grand Rapids enjoys Sizzle and doesn't care much about the food.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/06 04:23:19 (permalink)
    I wish I had a dollar for every decades-old-but-still-successful San Francisco restaurant that closed "because it is time for a change", only to see the replacement flop miserably.

I'm probably not the one to judge this particular change since I continue to believe that the best steaks are ones cooked over a good backyard charcoal grill.  And it's true that dishes like "sole muniere" are sort of throwbacks that some people on the coasts would sneer at (unless they were having it in New Orleans at one of the grand old Creole places or maybe in a place as old like SF's Tadich Grill).  But I would eat at that 1913 place just for the decor, even if the food was mediocre (especially if I could be sure the waitperson wouldn't say anything like, "Hi, I'm Todd and I'll be your server this evening"--one of the best features of old restaurants is old waitstaff).  On the other hand, can't say I've ever eaten at a Ruth's Chris even though SF has had one for years (we also have better locally owned steak houses if I ever wanted a restaurant steak).
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/06 04:28:23 (permalink)
    felix4067
     You don't wear denim to a five diamond restaurant. 

Yeah, some people do nowadays and it's almost (but not quite) understandable in an era when you can buy $500 jeans (if you are someone with more money than brains).  All you have to do, though, is look at men's fashion mags where you will see models in $2000 sport coats, $500 shoes, $300+ bespoke shirts and jeans.
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/06 06:48:59 (permalink)
    Ruth's Chris is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to what you're losing.  Fine dining in exchange for overpriced, commercial, upscale casual (and a la carte, nonetheless).  I'm left shaking my head in disbelief.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/02/06 07:02:56
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/06 12:41:27 (permalink)
    So I guess it's time to start a rumor that they are about to turn this (Garden Court dining room, Palace Hotel, SF):

into a McDonald's because, well, you know:  it's "time for a change" and all.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/20 07:26:52 (permalink)
    BT

So I guess it's time to start a rumor that they are about to turn this (Garden Court dining room, Palace Hotel, SF):

into a McDonald's because, well, you know:  it's "time for a change" and all.

My goodness, what an elegant room!  Was this the location where Michael Douglas came crashing through the ceiling at the end of the movie The Game?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/20 12:40:35 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

My goodness, what an elegant room!  Was this the location where Michael Douglas came crashing through the ceiling at the end of the movie The Game?

I don't know that movie.  It's the Garden Court of the Palace Hotel in San Francisco (one of the Starwood "Luxury Collection" hotels).  I always used to take my Mom there for lunch when she came to visit (the cost is not unreasonable since it's a hotel dining room).  

The Palace is quite famous for many things.  My favorite is the story (I believe it's true) that opera singer Enrico Caruso was staying there at the time of the 1906 earthquake and ran shrieking into the street when the quake happened.  

The "original" Palace and its "Grand Court": 1875

In any case, the originalPalace burned down in the fire, was rebuilt and re-opened in 1909.  The Garden Court originally was an enclosed carriage entrance.

The "New Palace" in the 1920s (looking not much different than it does today):

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:So much for exclusivity 2011/02/20 12:48:42 (permalink)
    Mrs QFan & I ate there and partook of their famous Sunday brunch in the late 1980's. We will never forget it; one of the truly most elegant and memorable dining experiences of both our lives!  
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1