So what place had the best grub in Nashville?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2012/02/21 17:51:44 (permalink)

So what place had the best grub in Nashville?

Any spectacular, any disappointments?

17 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/21 19:33:10 (permalink)
    Read the reports, thus far, my friend.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/21 19:48:40 (permalink)
    Seriously. Why does this need a separate thread?
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/22 17:54:20 (permalink)
    Seriously...what are you the thread police....

Hey Fat, I've been to a joint called Demo's...it was pretty good. Steaks and Spaghetti.....nice bar, and close to the original Opry....
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/22 18:36:22 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

Seriously. Why does this need a separate thread?

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 07:19:54 (permalink)
    Now understand threads like this:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/I-was-looking-through-the-Hot-Dog-section-and-found-this-disturbing-thread-m680812.aspx

and this:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Roadfood-web-site-Old-Timer-bad-attitudes-m686804.aspx

What do any of you care whether or not a thread is started on any subject.....do you own the site?...do you think because you have a high post count that you in some way dictate what is posted.....Don't like the a thread then don't read it. If it violates some sort of rule a mod will close it.....sheesh....it's no wonder folks don't feel welcome here.

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2464
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 07:31:27 (permalink)
    Hey rebeltruce, I don't think they are trying to dictate what gets/doesn't get posted.  It's just that in the past confusion has been created when multiple threads were started regarding the same trip report(s).  It's more likely that the participants will respond in the original thread.  A lot of pics and narrative have already been posted in the original Eat & Greet thread for this particular trip and I'm guessing that many of them won't be duplicating their answers in a second thread.   Roadfooder Benzee asks that people post questions and responses in the original thread each year for the NJ Hot Dog Tour so that he only needs to look in one thread for the info he needs to put it together instead of having to do a site search.
    post edited by billyboy - 2012/02/23 07:36:45
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 09:19:04 (permalink)
    billyboy
    It's more likely that the participants will respond in the original thread.  A lot of pics and narrative have already been posted in the original Eat & Greet thread for this particular trip and I'm guessing that many of them won't be duplicating their answers in a second thread.   Roadfooder Benzee asks that people post questions and responses in the original thread each year for the NJ Hot Dog Tour so that he only needs to look in one thread for the info he needs to put it together instead of having to do a site search.
    This + 1
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 09:41:14 (permalink)
    Billyboy's explanation is a good one.  There is nothing wrong  with Chewie asking the title question, but it needs to be in the first catagory in this forum... Where to eat???...in a particular place (Nashville) if it is to report the total populations likes and dislikes...as opposed to being focused on the weekend events of this group of roadfooders in the 'Meet-n-Eat section.
    No big deal, we'll just move it, and ask all to mellow out a bit.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 09:53:10 (permalink)
    I'll respectfully disagree.....

I'll say it again, so what there is another thread about hotdogs or where to eat in Nashville.....the only person who suggested looking elsewhere was Ann...the other two not so much.....

Good for Benzee....I applaud that effort. The search function isn't exactly the greatest here.......so when a new thread is created, and it's a repeat.....and if for whatever reason; you, me or anyone else doesn't like it, don't click on it....and certainly don't make sarcastic comments or border line condescending remarks in the thread...just ignore it. Everyone knows there are a ton of threads on Nashville, maybe Fat was feeling lazy, or maybe the search function wasn't working......

Again it's the moderator's job to remove/delete unwanted threads.

That's my opinion, others are certainly entitled to theirs...but this is a thread about Roadfood in Nashville...so I apologize for hijacking.....I'll stop now......

Hey Fat use the frickin' search button.........
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2464
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 10:06:51 (permalink)
    Certainly Chewie or anyone else can post on any forum they like.  My concern when I read this is that it seemed unlikely that he would get any responses from the attendees since they had already begun posting their write-ups in the original thread and flipping back and forth between two or three threads to see who replied in which thread about which restaurant creates more work than is necessary.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4327
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 10:26:25 (permalink)
    An honest answer to an honest question:

Prince's Hot Chicken rocks my world.  Pre-meal, I'd advise a dose of Metamucil.   BTW: don't even think about trying "the hottest".  Nobody but tourists or "freaks" do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL6E41425460004856

The Loveless Cafe is also worth a visit both for breakfast and lunch/dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUHNauccd4

BTW: old posts can become outdated.  Unfortunately, the "Biscuit Lady" has since passed.  I'm sure that both her recipe and technique have survived.

Enjoy Nashville!  We certainly do every time we drive from DFW back to McLean. 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/02/23 10:47:30
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 10:33:13 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Any spectacular, any disappointments?

I'll actually answer your question, Chewie! Rib tips at Joe's BBQ on Clarksville Pike, I believe is where it is. VERY good stuff. They serve their bbq on hoecakes! Now say 15 years or so ago I went to the Loveless Cafe and it was great. I returned about a year ago and while still very good, seemed to be a little too touristy.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 10:40:54 (permalink)
    rebeltruce
    That's my opinion, others are certainly entitled to theirs...

That's not really what you're saying.  What you're saying is that "my opinion is this...and the way you guys have been handling it is wrong."

There was nothing condescending in my first post in this thread.  I asked a question that did not receive a response. Instead, I get you chiming in with a snarky response.

This thread was not asking for suggestions about Nashville. It was asking about the results of the recently completed get-together IN Nashville.  It's possible that folks may have missed out on that happening, but the thread is now 20+ pages long and has been featured on the first page of active topics for a week straight now. As others have pointed out, there is NO good purpose for having a second, concurrent thread on the same exact topic, unless you would expect people to post their results/reports in two separate places - which isn't going to happen.

The OP knew there was another thread and knew the topic best belonged in that area...and choose to post a new topic, as is his usual way.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 10:55:31 (permalink)
    TTM and Rebel.., please take your personal debate to email or private messages. The public debate is over.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 13:42:14 (permalink)
    My disappointments:

Jack's BBQ on Broadway - I know it is a tradition and it's on Broadway and the old time stars ate there a lot but the que was dry and sort of bland.

Eastside Fish - The sandwich was huge and hot & fresh but too many bones (my fault should have went with some other fish)

BEST

Martin's BBQ in Nolensville except for the desserts everything was out of this world.

Sunset Family Restaurant - Lebanon TN
    Meat n 3 - Home cooking awesome desserts - becky was the server for being an older lady had some spunk and sass.

Loveless - the service was top notch as was the food, the desserts were awesome (the key lime pie was just ok tho)

Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/23 17:15:36 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    BTW: old posts can become outdated.  Unfortunately, the "Biscuit Lady" has since passed.  I'm sure that both her recipe and technique have survived.

Perhaps, but the biscuits are markedly different (to my palate) from what they were prior to the acquisition of Loveless by TomKats Catering in 2003.  They are still good, but I can no longer detect the presence of lard, which was a primary component of these biscuits prior to 2003.  The texture and the flavor is different and, to me, they are not quite as good as they were.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4327
    Re:So what place had the best grub in Nashville? 2012/02/24 10:48:04 (permalink)
    pogophiles

MetroplexJim

Perhaps, but the biscuits are markedly different (to my palate) from what they were prior to the acquisition of Loveless by TomKats Catering in 2003.  They are still good, but I can no longer detect the presence of lard, which was a primary component of these biscuits prior to 2003.  The texture and the flavor is different and, to me, they are not quite as good as they were.

May the "Biscuit Lady" rest in Peace.

I really enjoy the little complimentary biscuit 'n james plate at the Loveless.  (I assume they do it as the COGS on biscuits is nearly "free" and "the freebie" really increases the after-meal sales of their high profit - and very tasty - jams & jellies).

BTW:  whatever happened to the great "covers", like the pickles, bread, and cheeses at Mama Leone's in The City, the pickles and breads at Duke Zeibart's and Mel Krupin's in DC, and those wonderful sticky cinnamon buns at Hogate's (on the Maine Ave. "waterfront" in WDC)?  All are gone, but none are forgotten.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/02/24 10:56:31
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1