Social Media Presence

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2012/06/20 15:03:34 (permalink)

Social Media Presence

Nowadays it seems as everyone has a Twitter account and Facebook page. Self promotion and sharing details of your daily life, family, and relationship status appears to be the norm rather then the exception. People, even my age are surprised that I don't have at least Facebook account or have no interest in following their social media. 

I sometimes wonder about all of this self disclosure. Maybe being raised at a time when families stressed keeping family secrets of what happens within the home and family life, stays within those boundaries. While that was respected in my generation when I was a student, my daughters refusal to discuss home and family life with teachers or guidance counselors presented some problems. That was a boundary that I brought my kids up with like I was. It wasn't anything sinister or suspicious, it was just nobody's business what we/I did for a living or anything else for that matter. Some of this was a previous generation's paranoia that was drilled into me. For example, it was constantly drilled into me as a kid not to brag that we just bought a color TV, never put out boxes that indicated we just bought something expensive, and so on. My parents and grandparents grew up in a time that by advertising you had or acquired material goods potentially could set you up for a break in or give an impression of sudden wealth. Many of you probably grew up the same way. It was probably unnecessary in our day unlike our parents, but it was prudent.

My kids are in their early 30's. That's a transitional age where many their age still aren't comfortable flaunting their lives unlike the following generation. One of my daughters is required to maintain a web page for the benefit of her students and has a token Facebook account to conform to faculty expectations, but beyond that, like her sister prefers to keep both their personal lives private. Both have been pressured to have an active social media presence for professional reasons. I had attended a deposition two years ago and was grilled for the fact that I had no web presence as if I had something to hide. There seems to be an expectation now that your life and career is out there for everyone to see and examine. It's a shame this younger generation has been seduced to provide an information goldmine about themselves and families with no telling where this mined information is compiled and how it's going to impact their future.

I'm wondering how some of you folks feel about having a social media footprint.

10 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3482
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/20 17:26:33 (permalink)
    I'm not fussed about it, because I don't have to share anything I don't want to. I also keep access to my posts pretty locked down, and am pretty picky about who I accept as a friend. There's no rule that says in order to have a social media presence you have to air your dirty laundry in public, after all.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/20 21:19:27 (permalink)
    Personally, I do Facebook and I post quite often.  I never ever post negative things and only things that I perceive that would be of interest.  No negative post or personal issues.  I think folks should use common sense.  You can catch me on Facebook if you enjoy it.  Make me a friend and I have many on Roadfood.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/20 21:25:24 (permalink)
    How's that new color TV Paul ?
    post edited by flyseye - 2012/06/20 21:26:28
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/20 22:16:48 (permalink)
    Personally. I dont  use or like social media. I think that it leads to too much exposure for your personal life. Anything can be "gotten around", and I dont have any faith in the various sites security. My wife uses Facebook and I am constantly telling her to be cautious about what she post's. I have personally set the privacy settings on the kids accounts, it was too painful listening to them complain when I locked their account.

I figured this social media wasnt going away, so now I try and teach them to be responsible with it and make good choices. That being said, I do see a use for it with vending/concessions and letting your customer base know where you are and daily specials. Keeping the info to that, is nothing more than business exposure through a different medium.

I'm 45 and I was also brought up being quiet about our personal lives. But again, the world changes and if you reject it - you just get left behind. I have tried to find a way to accept it, in a modified way and use it responsibly. Look at those that refused to accept computers and where they are now.

FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1650
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/21 00:07:37 (permalink)
    I'm 62.......neither facebook nor twitter.  An original on AOL and often on Secondlife so I can be gregarious........just don't see the need for either of those two.  One child 27, one 29.  The female is on facebook, the male is not

and Yes.a firm believer of some things should be kept VERY personal
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/21 00:33:11 (permalink)
    I like Facebook. I have a friend on twitter i would like to follow. i never say anything I would not want the whole world to hear.

Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/21 09:53:59 (permalink)
    I'm on face book...mostly post about food, music and racing...nothing personal (except my tastes in food, music and racing..)
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6360
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/21 10:42:05 (permalink)
    I hate to break the news to skeptics of social media reading this but if you are participating on Roadfood.com you are using social media.

I've been doing this for 28 years now from the day when I had to hand type in a Basic BBS program to get online dial-up to an independent bulletin board system. I was on many of the early dial-up national systems like Compuserve, GEnie, Prodigy, Applelink and AOL. I was on so much so that AOL (at the time Quantum Computing) and Apple contacted me to be on the startup team for Applelink Personal Edition which morphed into AOL.

I joined Facebook when it opened to the public. Like Paul said, you control what you post. It is very evident a lot of people do not have self-control and understand it is public and post a lot of embarrassing stuff.

The positive of course is extending your acquaintances and even some true friendships beyond where you physically live. I have extended friendships around the country with people on many levels now be it road food, RVing, my profession of architecture, etc.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/25 00:18:33 (permalink)
    I have a FB acct but I only go there about 2x a week.
     Like DavyDD I've been online since the mid 80s. Started with a Commodore 64 and a 1,200 modem. Oh my! The glory days when I got a 3600 modem.
    I too don't need to post everytime you sneeze or stub your toe.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1006
    Re:Social Media Presence 2012/06/26 18:08:35 (permalink)
    I'm on FB and Twitter, but I no longer post personal information of any kind on FB, and I never did on Twitter. For me, FB is just to stay in contact with a few people, and Twitter is just for shucking and jiving about politics and other miscellaneous things.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1