Soda Pops, Eagle River, Wisconsin

Author
seatown76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 379
2008/06/15 11:54:27 (permalink)

Soda Pops, Eagle River, Wisconsin

Didn't know whether to put this in the trip forum or in here but since it is primarily about the root beer then here goes.

Last week I took the family out to lunch at a place called Soda Pops in Eagle River, Wisconsin (http://www.soda-pops.com/sodapop.htm). It's a place that is about 40 minutes away from my hometown of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. They have over 250 sodas on a regular basis to sample while you eat but after lunch we wandered right around the corner of the block and there was also a small shop there where you can purchase the various sodas in 6-packs and larger sizes. I went for mainly a root beer six pack with a couple others thrown in.

From left to right were my favorites that I had purchased on this trip. Suprisingly the Sioux City which had the HFCS in it was my favorite followed closely by the Abita from Louisiana which had locally grown pure sugar cane granulated sugar in it.

Now I am not saying that the others that I had were bad but the last couple almost had too much of a creaminess to them more like a vanilla cream soda taste. The Jack Black's Red Dead Root Beer was very interesting and had a flavor to which I couldn't place. About half way throught the bottler I finally looked at the ingredients and noticed that it had Guarna (sp.?) in it. I am wondering if that accounted for the slight woody bitterness to it?

The last two on the right were very refreshing last second add on to my purchase. The Raspberry Spritzer was okay but my wife loved it. The Jarrito's Pineapple was awesome just how I remebered them when I was younger.

If anybody gets a chance take a look at what they have available and let me know whats good in your area.

Thanks,
Jason

2 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6429
    RE: Soda Pops, Eagle River, Wisconsin 2008/06/15 12:23:08 (permalink)
    Jason,

I've been to Eagle River many times going way back to the 50's when my parents vacationed on lakes near there. I don't think I recall having any of those root beers. Maybe I did. Going into town and going into a northwoods bar, replete with stuffed muskies, northerns and moose heads, with dad was one highlight of the trip and root beer is what I had. That was big because in Indiana at the time a kid could not go into a bar with a parent.

If you ever get up to Ely, MN and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, there is a museum in Ely honoring Dorothy Molter, the root beer lady in the Boundary Waters. They moved her cabin that was on an island and replicated her setting in Ely. They sell the root beer based on her homemade formula that she served passing canoists. The brew is bottled by James Page Brewing now located in Wisconsin but I believe it is only sold at the museum.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: Soda Pops, Eagle River, Wisconsin 2008/06/15 12:41:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Davydd for the tip I found their website online and emailed them. Turns out the brewery or at least their offices are in Stevens Point which is only about an hour and a half away from me so hopefully I will find some of Dorothy's special brew locally.

Besides the Blummers and the Sno-Cap all the other root beers were from out of state. I do love 1919 on tap as well as the local Sprecher's and Point root beers but since I quit drinking any type of beer or hard liquors I have been on a constant search for the ultimate root beer and it helps bring back memories from my youth as well. I originally grew up in the pacific northwest in western washington so I am familiar with Thomas Kemper, A & W (from the restaurants in the jugs not the store bought stuff) and Henry Weinhards but I will keep up the search.

Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1