Soda dispensers and supply

Author
hella good tacos
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
2014/02/17 14:05:36 (permalink)

Soda dispensers and supply

I am shopping for soda dispensers and supply for syrups.

I have heard rumors that if i approach one the local mega co's they might supply us with a fountain so long as we sell exclusively their product.  My previous experience has led me to believe this is a restaurant wives tale.

Is anyone here currently dealing with a large soda co and were they at all helpful?  

How is pricing for syrups compared to say box store pricing?

11 Replies Related Threads

fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/17 23:03:43 (permalink)
    I think they're leased for the most part.  I've heard of super high volume places getting the equipment for free but YMMV.  Leased wouldn't be too bad though
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/17 23:19:40 (permalink)
    I know most people go with one of the big 2, but has anyone here had experience with the Snapple company (who owns A&W, RC Cola, Dr. Pepper, etc.). Might they be more likely to give you the equipment in hopes of capturing more market share?
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 09:52:50 (permalink)
    Are you looking to do this for your truck?
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 10:35:51 (permalink)
    I've already started the paperwork for the Snapple company to supply me with cans of soda (as bottles aren't allowed in some of the places I'll be). I haven't spoken to them about it yet, but I've been thinking about putting in a soda dispenser at some point down the road (and have accounted for the space it will go in my current build).
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 11:41:49 (permalink)
    fishscale28

Are you looking to do this for your truck?

No i am actually here because our food cart is acquiring a brick and mortar location.

We are buying an existing diner, they have been selling 20oz bottles of soda and i just don't see the benefit in continuing that. 

hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 11:45:26 (permalink)
    Midnights

I've already started the paperwork for the Snapple company to supply me with cans of soda (as bottles aren't allowed in some of the places I'll be). I haven't spoken to them about it yet, but I've been thinking about putting in a soda dispenser at some point down the road (and have accounted for the space it will go in my current build).

Please keep me posted if you do.

I am contemplating purchasing my own system versus going through a distributor.

Sams sells boxes of Coke products for 75.00 a pop. I am looking at a 4-6 fountain dispenser for 1200-1500 used.  This includes pumps for the syrup, carbonators etc.

Essentially it will contain everything but the water, electricity and CO2

I think it makes more sense to purchase my own system then trying to lease one.

Thanks to everyone else who commented 
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 12:02:42 (permalink)
    Just got off the phone with rep from one of the big 2.

Essentially he says they do not lease equipment, but they would loan a fountain if we purchase exclusively from them.

He did try and sell me on 20oz bottles due to our current seating arrangement.  The place i am purchasing is currently set up for 44 seats.  I also plan to expand that and add outdoor seating for summer/fall.  

His formula was that 80 seats is the minimum required to maintain the freshness of syrup.

I hope this info helps anyone else in my situation. 
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 14:36:08 (permalink)
    Ah gotcha-if I were you I would definitely get your own equipment and go like that.  I'm sure you could even find some good deals on ebay, etc.  As for the Bag in the Box syrups all of your big line food purveyors carry them and if you have a Restaurant Depot or similar they'll have them.  And you can buy as you'd like and mix and match as you wish.  Or maybe starting off with canned/bottled sodas would be the better investment until business picked up and you expanded thus allowing you to spend the extra money on C02, lines, pumps, dispenser heads, cold plates, racks, etc.  Surely isn't cheap...
    kozyman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/18 21:15:22 (permalink)
    We have a small 35 seat restaurant here in Ohio..we have used Pepsi for the last 7 years. No cost to us for the ice bin with 8 taps..they came in and installed it all...we buy the bag in the box and co2 from them..we have Coke call us almost every month trying to set us up with the sam equipment. Hope this helps.
    boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1459
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/19 13:35:28 (permalink)
    Coca Cola came in and set up our fountain for a nominal cost so long as we use their product exclusively. We get bag in box syrups from our local SYSCO distributor. 

David O.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Soda dispensers and supply 2014/02/21 08:54:47 (permalink)
    kozyman

We have a small 35 seat restaurant here in Ohio..we have used Pepsi for the last 7 years. No cost to us for the ice bin with 8 taps..they came in and installed it all...we buy the bag in the box and co2 from them..we have Coke call us almost every month trying to set us up with the sam equipment. Hope this helps.

Thanks,  Coke offered to come in and set it up for me as well.  They also offered the equipment at no charge, but i had to buy from them exclusively.  I think the whole "freshness" thing was BS as i see their boxes sitting in sams club for quite some time.

boyardee65 

Coca Cola came in and set up our fountain for a nominal cost so long as we use their product exclusively. We get bag in box syrups from our local SYSCO distributor.  

David O. 

thanks for the info.  Did you find it cheaper to buy from sysco than coke directly? 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1