LockedSodas...good or bad?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cathyftr
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/07 16:41:56 (permalink)
What about energy drinks such as Red Bull, Monster and Rockstar..even Fourloko ??  As I mentioned earlier
I myself know folks who had given up soda all together only to take up Red Bull thinking the latter is more healthy.  I don't see how.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/07 16:45:07 (permalink)
Hepcat

Tony Bad  I hate to sound like a broken record, but the problem isn't soda, it is the excess consumption of soda, which is very commonplace and a real health concern.

Okay. I have no problem with that. But other people have been arguing that soda is bad per se simply because it doesn't do you any good. That's the kind of killjoy argument with which I have issues, several issues in fact.

I think we could eliminate 90% of what we do as not good for you. I am not ready for that.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/07 19:45:01 (permalink)
cathyftr What about energy drinks such as Red Bull, Monster and Rockstar..even Fourloko ??  As I mentioned earlier
I myself know folks who had given up soda all together only to take up Red Bull thinking the latter is more healthy.  I don't see how.

You're right. Energy drinks are absolutely loaded with mega doses of sucrose/fructose and caffeine. They're soft drinks on steroids.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/07 20:53:16 (permalink)
I agree with most of that, Hepcat. I'm pretty confidant that artificial sweeteners are not good for you, and alcohol abuse is probably worse than soda abuse. But moderate alcohol use may have health benefits, whereas soda's only benefit is it tastes good. Which is fine. I don't want to see soda banned or anything. There are plenty of foods that taste good but add little nutritionally.

I'm just saying that, in your ranking of "bad for you" things, moderate alcohol use may be good, artificial sweeteners may be bad, and soda is probably more immediately health threatening than that.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/08 17:16:42 (permalink)
CCinNJ

That's a brave cat right there...by all those bottles.

Yes, I'm very brave. Here are a few more pictures of me then:

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/12/08 17:18:36
cathyftr
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/09 17:35:12 (permalink)

I agree with most of that, Hepcat. I'm pretty confidant that artificial sweeteners are not good for you, and alcohol abuse is probably worse than soda abuse. But moderate alcohol use may have health benefits, whereas soda's only benefit is it tastes good. Which is fine. I don't want to see soda banned or anything. There are plenty of foods that taste good but add little nutritionally.

I'm just saying that, in your ranking of "bad for you" things, moderate alcohol use may be good, artificial sweeteners may be bad, and soda is probably more immediately health threatening than that.

I don't want to see soda banned either but I DO see soda going down the same path just like with smokes. Not a total ban but something that is becoming less socially acceptable. Kinda already started with NYC banned on large sugar drinks ( from what I understand only regular soda is enforced ). In the coming years I wouldn't be surprised to see ads for soda banned from radio and TV,  buildings named after soda ( example: Denver's Pepsi Center Arena ) may have to change their name, restrictions placed so children won't be able to buy soda, restaurants, movie theaters, amusement parks and the like cutting back on the selling of soda, the soda section at the supermarket getting smaller and smaller..etc.....oddly enough my uncle who was employed at Pepsi for decades until his retirement a few years ago..he sees all of this too. While it may not happen within the next few years but he really believes that there will be a day when having a Pepsi would be like having a cigarette. Gotta do it in private unless one wants to hear other family remembers or even complete strangers reminding you that soda is bad for your health.
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/09 18:38:58 (permalink)
One big difference, though, is that cigarette smoking affects many other people in the vicinity. Soda drinking affects no one else. I'm sure there will be people who try to do the things you mention, but I don't think they'll be successful, for the most part, except in isolated instances. As for hearing from others about how you shouldn't be drinking it, well, that's just part of life.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2395
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/09 19:15:00 (permalink)
I hear ya, Bruce. I have yet to hear of anyone's health directly affected by "second-hand" diabetes!
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/10 13:40:54 (permalink)
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle I'm just saying that, in your ranking of "bad for you" things, moderate alcohol use may be good, artificial sweeteners may be bad, and soda is probably more immediately health threatening than that.

That's precisely my point of contention though. Just because soda pop is empty calories, just because it's not good for you, doesn't mean it translates into being "bad for you"! Sugar is not a toxin (unlike alcohol and many/most artificial chemicals) and shouldn't be demonized. Like I say, your body metabolizes everything you eat down to sugar in the first place.

cathftrI don't want to see soda banned either but I DO see soda going down the same path just like with smokes. Not a total ban but something that is becoming less socially acceptable.... there will be a day when having a Pepsi would be like having a cigarette. Gotta do it in private unless one wants to hear other family remembers or even complete strangers reminding you that soda is bad for your health.

Not to imply that you're one of them, but is it any wonder I fulminate against health food nazis? They can tell me what to eat when they look better than I do at my age, and I will make that point very forcefully. 

billyboy I have yet to hear of anyone's health directly affected by "second-hand" diabetes!

I'd also like to add that while there has been a definite link established between certain kinds of diabetes and obesity, no link has ever been established between sugar consumption per se and diabetes.

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/12/11 09:34:26
Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/10 14:51:47 (permalink)

One big difference, though, is that cigarette smoking affects many other people in the vicinity. Soda drinking affects no one else. I'm sure there will be people who try to do the things you mention, but I don't think they'll be successful, for the most part, except in isolated instances. As for hearing from others about how you shouldn't be drinking it, well, that's just part of life.

While this is true in the beginning 80% of people smoked so there wasn't much emphasis placed on second hand smoke. It was mostly about health care costs and allergic reactions of nonsmokers. When the second hand smoke started they said it was worse than smoking and people believed it.
I always said if they are successful with smoking it would be fat people next. 
Now up here they are debating a fat tax, just how it started with smoking, it will come to pass, this year, next year who knows but it will. 
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/10 16:21:44 (permalink)
You mean a tax on the fat we eat, or a tax levied against fat people? Seems much more likely, either way, in Canada than in the US.
Ice Cream Man
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/11 11:05:52 (permalink)
The fat we eat, instead of banning large drinks you'll pay the tax man an extra 50 cents.
It's going to happen just like cigarettes are at least half tax fat food will be half tax. They'll tell you it's for your own good and the sheep will follow. LOL
Ice Cream Man
Re:Sodas...good or bad? 2012/12/11 11:11:54 (permalink)
I can't believe the people behind this (the health nuts) haven't tried to shut down the food network or sites like this. They want us all to die healthy and skinny.
Headline of the future.
After a lengthy investigation man charged with having several fat food sites on his computer sentenced to a diet farm for 2 years.
post edited by Ice Cream Man - 2012/12/11 11:17:09
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1