"Soft" Cream

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6195
2007/12/28 14:21:24 (permalink)

"Soft" Cream

Hi,
Asked this question months ago...and didn't get a response...bad time.. or I'm just getting too old for you youngsters out there.
I grw up in the Jersey City--Union City area of New Jersey in the early 50's and remember ice cream parlors that sold something called "soft cream, literaly a softer ice cream. I think it only came in Vanilla.I remeber one place called Meyers and another I think was Shoner's. I'll never forget soft cream on bananas in that metal ice=cream parlor dish.My mom remembers it from the ice cream parlors of the 40's, also. I wonder if anyone remembers soft cream...and if it is still sold anywhere.
leethebard

6 Replies Related Threads

matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: "Soft" Cream 2007/12/28 14:40:59 (permalink)
    I remember snow cream.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2068
    RE: "Soft" Cream 2007/12/28 14:52:03 (permalink)
    "Soft cream" or soft icecream, isn't that the same style of ice cream that Dairy Queen sells or the homemade ice cream that has not been frozen hard. Ie. soft icecream has not been frozen like the ice cream from the dairycase at grocery stores.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: "Soft" Cream 2007/12/28 15:03:00 (permalink)
    You just reminded me of the last time I made homemade ice cream. When it was first finished it was like soft serve ice cream and the directions said that if I wanted I could "harden it off." So I did. Boy, that was some hard ice cream and it took forever...but it was very tasty. I actually liked it better once it was cooked and ready to freeze but before it was frozen at all. It was straight off the stove. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6195
    RE: "Soft" Cream 2007/12/28 17:53:46 (permalink)
    no..no..no..soft cream is nothing like dairy queen or any other soft serve....it was more like the texture of heavy cream only thicker....and really quite different from anything else I've ever tried.
    lee
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: "Soft" Cream 2007/12/28 18:48:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

no..no..no..soft cream is nothing like dairy queen or any other soft serve....it was more like the texture of heavy cream only thicker....and really quite different from anything else I've ever tried.
    lee

Well, how about this, this, this?

"Topic: Bread & Pastries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert: Eileen B. Werth
    Date: 7/12/2004
    Subject: Bread Pudding & Soft Cream

Question
    Hi Eileen:
    I Like making Bread Puddings & I am not quite sure of the meaning Soft Cream.
    The Recipe calls for Rum Hard Sauce on the bottom of the plate (which I have 4 to choose from) & Soft Cream on the Top. Could this mean Whipping
    Cream ? Can you help me.
    I love trying new things.
    Thank You
    Frank Minafo

Get the answer below
    Sponsored Links
    Pastries
    MyRecipes.com - Easily Find Recipes for Beverages, Breads, Dips & More!
    www.myrecipes.com

Bread Pudding Recipe
    Easy To Make Pudding Recipes From Better Homes and Gardens
    www.BetterHomesandGardens.com

Bread Recipe
    Bread Recipe from the Test Kitchens at Bon Appetit.
    Epicurious.com/recipes/food

Answer
    Frank, If your recipe is Cajun in origin, soft cream refers to a sauce. The recipe i have is included below. Hope this is what you are searching for..eileen

SOFT CREAM
    1 pt. whipping cream
    1/3 cu. confectioner's sugar, sifted
    1 Tbl. pure vanilla extract
    2 Tbls. cognac
    2 tsps. Frangelico liqueur
    1/4 cup Dairy sour cream

To Prepare Soft Cream
    Chill beaters and a medium bowl until very cold. Place all ingredients in bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft, loose peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. The cream should have a slightly runny, cloud-like consistency that softly drapes OVER the
    bread pudding. Do not over beat. Cover tightly and refrigerate until served.

Another less complicated topping for your bread pudding is:

Chantilly Sauce-Makes about 2 cups
    2/3 cu. heavy cream
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. brandy
    1 tsp. Grand Marnier
    1/4 cu. sugar
    2 Tbls. dairy sour cream

Refrigerate a medium sized bowl and beaters until VERY cold. Combine cream, vanilla, brandy and Grand Marnier in the bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium speed 1 minute. Add sugar and sour cream and beat on medium just until soft peaks dorm. about 3 minutes. Do not overbeat.
    (Overbeating will make the cream grainy, which is the first step leading to butter. Once grainy, you can't return it to its former consistency, but if this happens, enjoy it on toast!) Enjoy!!"

en.allexperts.com/q/Bread-Pastries-746/Bread-Pudding-Soft-Cream.htm
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2068
    RE: "Soft" Cream 2007/12/28 19:28:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

lee

Then I haven't had the “soft cream” that your referring to. I do know old style ice creams had a lot more cream in them than today’s more or less ice-milk with a thickener.

When I make homemade ice cream, I do add a good amount of half & half to the mix.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1