Soft Tacos vs. Burritos

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/10/23 20:01:18 (permalink)

Soft Tacos vs. Burritos

I just ate at a Mexican restaurant (OK, Chiplotle's....) and ordered the "soft tacos" with chicken. When they made it, it semed the exact same as the chicken burrito except made in 3 small portions rather than 1 large portion. They used flour rather than corn tacos, so that's not it...

Is there usually a difference between (soft) tacos and burritos?

13 Replies Related Threads

divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 20:14:00 (permalink)
    One has the ingrediants rolled in large tortilla, the other can have the same ingrediants folded in s smaller tortilla. Burrito less likely to have lettuce, more likely to have beanss but ingredants depend on maker. Sounds really sarcastic , but there are lots of similarities across the foods.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8700
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 20:17:06 (permalink)
    Not that I know of-flour ( as are corn)tortillas come in different sizes.That is the difference, in my experience.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 20:35:03 (permalink)
    Only difference I can think of is the sauce.. My spots I frequent serve a meat sauce that really does the job on wet burros.. If they did that on a taco, it would create a bigger mess then they start off as. Plus it's a very rare find here to get refried beans on a taco also..
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 21:24:19 (permalink)
    So you ate at Chipotle....But which Mexican restaurant did you eat at?????
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 22:31:37 (permalink)
    Around here a soft taco order gets you a corn tortilla, meat filling with chopped onions and cilantro on top and an extra corn tortilla underneath to catch what falls out of the overstuffed original taco. Served with a wedge of lime and your choice of salsa.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18951
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 23:27:15 (permalink)
    The first time I ever had tacos was around 1953 in Austin, Texas. They were nothing like the sort of things I normally see now as tacos. For one thing, they were not crisp-fried shells bent and filled with stuff. They were lightly fried and still soft, served flat and topped with things. I much prefer that to those other things.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/23 23:56:23 (permalink)
    I agree with engincapt. Tacos are made with corn tortillas. "Soft" just means they aren't fried (and is the way you find them in Mexico so far as I know and they are served flat as Michael describes). Burritos are made with flour tortillas. The huge ones popular in the Bay Area and now all over America (thanks to Chipotle) I think aren't common in Mexico where they use fairly standard size ones and stick to simple ingedients: meat, beans, maybe a little salsa.

This business of frying the tortillas into a curved shape I take to be a gringo thing--possibly Texan--because we are too uncoordinated to pick the taco up and fold it with our hand (much as they do with pizza in New York).

3 chorizo tacos
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18951
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/24 00:32:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

This business of frying the tortillas into a curved shape I take to be a gringo thing--possibly Texan--because we are too uncoordinated to pick the taco up and fold it with our hand (much as they do with pizza in New York).

Considering that the tacos I first had in Texas were not the curved-shape things, and that the first time I ever saw such things was in California, I'd bet it's not a Texas thing.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/24 02:33:29 (permalink)
    ^^^First time I ever saw it was in Okinawa, but I'm not blaming the Japanese.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/24 09:09:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Considering that the tacos I first had in Texas were not the curved-shape things, and that the first time I ever saw such things was in California, I'd bet it's not a Texas thing.

In Mexico you can get them either way. Street vendors usually serve them flat because it's faster. But they are served either flat, dorados(fried) or sudados(steamed). The steamed are actually slightly fried, then wraped in foil or towels and placed in a container to carry and sell later. There is a city south of Guadalajara called Tecalitlan that is known for this practice. The locals from the area call it Tacolitlan because the main road through town is lined with vendors selling tacos sudados out of metal pails.

joe

joe
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/24 11:05:00 (permalink)
    Around here soft tacos mean the tortilla is not fried,and can be corn or flour tortillas.Also you can buy the large flour tortillas in grocery stores for burritos.You can use regular size flour tortillas for them as well.The large ones make it easier to pack in the filling and also probably to roll up.
    I believe in Sonora Mexico they make the large flour tortillas.While corn tortillas are found throughout Mexico, the flour ones are more popular in northern Mexico.They grow a lot of wheat in these areas.
    In the Yucatan and some other places,black beans are preferred I have read over the regular pintos,though they do have various other beans in Mexico.
    I've had both the flat tacos(tacos al pastor) and the usual crispy kind at Las Palapas in Live Oak.
    Think it just depends on where you go and what region someone is from in Mexico.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/24 11:21:16 (permalink)
    Only a mind like yours would seriously ponder this question CK. :~)

But... now that you have... burritos are rolled up, tacos are folded or served flat on a smaller tortilla. I think Dive hit on the main difference, less chance of vegies in a burrito. Tacos and burritos are kinda like cousins I guess?
    Joe
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    RE: Soft Tacos vs. Burritos 2007/10/24 12:13:59 (permalink)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/dining/24texm.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1