Soggy Bottom Burger

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2419
2013/05/10 15:34:27 (permalink)

Soggy Bottom Burger

On Roadfoods front page it showed Bobcat Bite closing, it looks like they will locate in another place. That being said, the picture of the Famous Burger was on the page.

I know this is a quality burger, some would say the best in the West, I'm not arguing that point. The things that bother me about a thick juicy bloody burger is, the bottom half of the bun can't hold the weight of the burger. I have been to many places that because of the heat of the burger making it soggy and the juices, the bottom falls apart. For me this kills the whole deal. I want the burger and bun and all the toppings to fit in my mouth with every bite. If the burger with all the toppings are bigger than your mouth, then who the hell could eat it.
  I also don't like seeing bloody juices soaked into the bread. If I eat a steak, I don't dip my bread into the bloody juices on my plate. If you build a house, you make sure the foundation is the proper size to fit the house. The same should be done with the burger, make sure the weight of the burger, along with the topping will be able to be eaten start to finish without getting soggy and falling apart. I don't go through life with a soggy bottom, why should I let my burger do it..................Am I the only on that feels this way, or are there other Roadfooders that feel the same. .....................pnwc

22 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7959
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 15:54:14 (permalink)
    That's blood?

I also don't like burgers that fall apart in my hand when I'm trying to eat it no matter how good they taste.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1054
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 16:07:36 (permalink)
    Good point, mar52.  I thought it was blood at first glance, too.  But on closer inspection, it looks like it might be catsup, not blood, on the lower half of the bun.

Having said that, I mostly agree with pnwchef about the thickness of the burger.  If I'm eating a burger, I want to be able to pick up the sandwich with both hands.  Otherwise, call it a hamburger steak and serve it with a knife and fork.
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1403
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 16:31:25 (permalink)
    Maybe they could have cut that bun differently--it looks pretty top heavy, and thin on the bottom.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 16:36:22 (permalink)
    Sorry but I don't see that being ketchup under all that rare meat, has to be some blood. Who puts ketchup on a GCCB anyway? And on the bottom??
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1054
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 16:44:43 (permalink)
    Maybe it's pulverized fresh tomatoes?

I don't have a dog in this fight -- I'd never eat a hamburger that rare, personally -- but it is hard to judge from the photo.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4253
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 17:09:38 (permalink)
    Turn the burger upside down.  Problem solved.  Next.

Buddy
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 17:26:11 (permalink)
    Bottom bun will be a soggy mess and not acceptable. Bun was cut poorly and the burger if that wet should have rested on a paper towel first....Russ
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 17:45:52 (permalink)
    I think you all are thinking of this burger wrong.  It's not a wimpy McD burger that needs the bun.  The Bobcat's GCCB is more like a meal.

It is definately a knife and fork burger, the picture used in the review is a good one, however a "doner" burger would have made a better overall impression and a better photo op, because too many people don't like a RARE burger.

iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 17:50:54 (permalink)
    Good point!  Who would ruin a good burger by putting Ketchup on it!??  
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 18:00:34 (permalink)
    I am not such a educated review person but in my personal opinion, that is blood, not ketchup.  I like my burger not burn't for medium.  Way too rare for me..

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 18:22:00 (permalink)
    As someone who was there when the photo was taken, I can assure you that the bottom bun is not soaked with ketchup or tomatoes. Those are the burger's juices. And maybe it's just semantics but beef juices, red though they may be, are not blood.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2419
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 18:34:48 (permalink)
    So, if you walk into your house, your dog is sitting next to a swirl of soft looking brown stuff, would you think it was chocolate Soft serve ice cream..........

OK so now we could drop the Blood and add "Raw meat juices" .............It doesn't matter if its blood or not ......it's meat with red juice coming out. I have been in the food business for over 30 yrs, never had some one send something back for being to juicy. I have had things come back because they were to bloody..............The point is the red on the bun doesn't look good, and it makes the bun soggy. All I'm saying is, get the right bun for the job........
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/05/10 18:44:21
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 20:13:54 (permalink)

As someone who was there when the photo was taken, I can assure you that the bottom bun is not soaked with ketchup or tomatoes. Those are the burger's juices. And maybe it's just semantics but beef juices, red though they may be, are not blood.

My well traveled team mate on roadfood is very knowledgeable and writes very good but his assessment on beef juice in my opinion is hemolyzed blood not raw red cells.  Edible of course as many folks eat raw blood in many countries. Some folks like it that way but not yours truly.  Way too red to be just juice.
    As a practicing and licensed immunohematologist in the State of Tennessee. we hemolized blood in many different ways to do test. For blood transfusions we saw that often when cells were incompatible and we saw it often when red cells where heated to release antibodies and antigens. Bruce is correct as it is not blood but hemolized red cells which are a derivative .

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 20:56:47 (permalink)
    I've always been fascinated by all the glowing reviews of this burger and would love to try one someday. Hopefully they will cook it as the customer desires and not force the one in the picture on us. That just wouldn't work for me.
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/10 22:21:59 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

My well traveled team mate on roadfood is very knowledgeable and writes very good but his assessment on beef juice in my opinion is hemolyzed blood not raw red cells.  Edible of course as many folks eat raw blood in many countries. Some folks like it that way but not yours truly.  Way too red to be just juice.
    As a practicing and licensed immunohematologist in the State of Tennessee. we hemolized blood in many different ways to do test. For blood transfusions we saw that often when cells were incompatible and we saw it often when red cells where heated to release antibodies and antigens. Bruce is correct as it is not blood but hemolized red cells which are a derivative .

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

The red substance in the juice of rare meat is myoglobin, an oxygen-carrying protein found in muscle tissue, and never found in the blood of healthy, uninjured animals. As the meat cooks the myoglobin loses its red color. The only relation to blood is the fact that, like hemoglobin in blood, myoglobin in muscle carries oxygen. But there are no red blood cells, or blood in general, in meat juice.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/11 07:06:15 (permalink)
    Bruce is partially correct.  Myoglobin and hemoglobin are closely related however everyone knows that there is blood in ground beef.  The juices are probably a combination of hemolyzed blood and myoglobin.  When beef is rarely cooked, the blood will hemolyze quickly and combine with the natural moisture of the meat turning a ruby red which is partially disguised  with the oils and myoglobin.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8388
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/11 07:36:01 (permalink)
    Okay-I am now officially grossed out. Blood, beef juices, whatever.i eat beef medium rare, and know what I am ingesting. And I enjoy it. I think the picture of the burger looks fabulous.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/11 10:41:36 (permalink)
    Whether you like that burger or not separates the road food grunting greasy spoon heroic carnivores from the picky milquetoast dilettante leaf chewing whatevers.
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/05/11 11:24:37 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

Bruce is partially correct.  Myoglobin and hemoglobin are closely related however everyone knows that there is blood in ground beef.  The juices are probably a combination of hemolyzed blood and myoglobin.  When beef is rarely cooked, the blood will hemolyze quickly and combine with the natural moisture of the meat turning a ruby red which is partially disguised  with the oils and myoglobin.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

The science is readily available. For instance, I refer you, and any other interested readers, to Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. (That book, by the way, is a fascinating reference for the scientifically inclined Roadfooder!) But suit yourself. You're entitled to believe what you wish.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4117
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/06/24 17:23:41 (permalink)
    As I love juicy burgers and hate soggy bread, at home, I:

• let the burger rest,
    • while I toast the bun,
    • and then put the cheese on the bottom.

A light coating of mayo on each side of the bun also helps.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/06/24 17:40:01 (permalink)
    Best in the west? No, it's the best burger I've ever had in my life. And that includes the West, East, South and North. Oh, and the bottom of the bun, juicy as the beautiful (Hatch) green chile cheeseburger is, does not fall apart.

Tonight, because Santa Fe is so far away, we are having (Hatch) green chile cheeseburgers here at home. It won't be the same, but it will do till we make another road trip.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6878
    Re:Soggy Bottom Burger 2013/06/24 20:14:06 (permalink)
    For those of you that don't mind a leaf of lettuce on your burger, put it on the bottom bun first then the burger and the rest of the fixins.  The lettuce prevents the juices from making the "soggy bottom".  I don't think I will do this with tonight's green chile cheeseburgers..........just Hatch chiles and pepper Jack cheese on a nice thick MR burger like in the picture.  Yum!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1