Solly's and the Butter Burger

Author
geomotz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2003/06/04 19:09:04 (permalink)

Solly's and the Butter Burger

I'm going to Milwaukee this weekend to have my first butter burger at Solly's. Anything else fun to eat/do in the Milwaukee area? Anyone love/hate the butter burger?

4 Replies Related Threads

jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Solly's and the Butter Burger 2003/06/04 19:31:45 (permalink)
    I've lived in Milwaukee 13 years, about 2 miles from Solly's, and never had one of their "famous" burgers. I know many people will cry out in disbelief, but it's not that I didn't try. Twice I went with the best of intentions, but the parking lot was so crowded with huge SUVs that I parked on the street, and the folks at the counter were less than quick in eating and leaving, I needed food, stat. So if you go, tell me what you think. Maybe I'll try again this week. If it's too busy, head north on Port Washington Rd (Solly's in on that stretch, too) to Kopp's for some frozen custard. My custard forecast says Butter Pecan is the flavor Saturday (unbelievably good) and Sunday is Red Raspberry. Leon's on S. 27th St. also has good custard - and a funkier feeling - the raspberry sundae with salty roasted pecans is my favorite.

The Walker's Point neighborhood (around the big Allen Bradley Clock tower south of downtown) has some great places to eat - Soup Brothers on Florida Street is quirky and inexpensive; The Social does a great macaroni & cheese (with goat cheese & chicken) and Cielto Lindo (on the corner of National & S. 2nd) is a highly underrated Mexican place. On Brady Street, stop in Glorioso's (an Italian grocery) and get great sandwiches or a loaf of excellent Peter Sciortino's bread to take home.

What kinds of stuff are you looking to do/eat? I can suggest lots of other places if you like. If you like Vietnamese, you'll have to swing by Phan's Garden on W. National, and the Brown Bottle is truly Milwaukee - fried fish in the old Schlitz brewery complex.
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Solly's and the Butter Burger 2003/06/04 21:36:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of that amazing info. I'm mostly interested in burgers if you know of places other than Solly's and Kopp's. I'll be eating custard at Kopp's for sure. I'm also interested in things/places that are true Milwaukee/WI (beer, dairy, cheese, etc...)
    brianh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Solly's and the Butter Burger 2003/06/05 21:56:07 (permalink)
    Hi geometz-

Solly's is great, just do not eat these burgers before getting behind the wheel- you will fall asleep as your body uses every last bit of available energy to digest these rich treats(it's a good pain though).
    Might I suggest the Sprecher Brewery Tour? A nice little Milwaukee brewery with great beer and root beer. Intimate tour with a good tasting at the end:
    http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sprtour.html

Cool cheese/beer bar in Downtown Milwaukee. Love this place and the location:
    http://www.onmilwaukee.com/barsclubs/articles/frauopening.html

Another great burger joint/bar. Nice owners, fun crowd and a great fish fry on Fridays(Another Milwaukee mainstay):
    Sobelman's
    1900 W St Paul Ave

I also concur with jessicazee- the Social on 2nd St. is worth the visit- if the weather is good, enjoy a libation in the outdoor patio area. Try Delerium Tremons served in a custom boomba. One of the best beers to ever pass my lips!
    I hope you enjoy your stay in Milwaukee!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7965
    RE: Solly's and the Butter Burger 2003/06/06 07:44:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by geomotz

Thanks for all of that amazing info. I'm mostly interested in burgers if you know of places other than Solly's and Kopp's. I'll be eating custard at Kopp's for sure. I'm also interested in things/places that are true Milwaukee/WI (beer, dairy, cheese, etc...)

Hey, I was just in Milwaukee over Memorial Day Weekend. Try Maxwells in Cedarburg about 15 miles north of Milwaukee. Although I didnt' go there last time, I went there on my last trip about 3 years ago. Maxwell's is a bar/tavern and they have Usinger Bratwurst's and Fried Cheese curds which were delicious. Unfortunately you have to order the curds as an appetizer, they don't come with the Brat. Cedarburg also has a very cool, quaint main street with antique/knickknack shops.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1