Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Danusa86
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
2014/08/26 08:08:39 (permalink)

Some Suggestions for My Road Trip

Hello All,

A few years have passed since I first found and wrote on this forum. Time really flies ! For those of you who don't remember: my name is Daniel and I live in Italy. I come to the U.S. quite often for work + leisure and have always found roadfood.com a very useful source of information for those who love good food (and as an Italian, there is no doubt I do haha).

After 3 years without coming over, I am bound to fly to the U.S. once again in October for my 4th roadtrip. Once again a very long one which will touch a variety of places. I've already taken a look to the reviews on the website and have noted down a few places I might visit (Michael's suggestions are always great !) but now I'd like to hear from you in person too ! 

In just 2 weeks I will be driving from Chicago to Denver via Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, then from Denver to Vegas and again from Vegas back to Chicago via Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri. 

My questions are the following, if you would be so kind to give me some tips:

- What is the food or dish you would say it's something a person MUST try in each of the states I will visit? I know each state has some traditional recipe and would like to know your point of view on this. 

- In terms of BBQ, and in particular when coming to Austin, TX and the surrounding areas, I have heard mixed reviews on which place is best, what is your take on this? I hear lots of names like Franklin's, La Barbecue, JMueller's, Sam's but also about places in Lockhart, Elgin, Round Rock. I'll be in Austin on Sunday 26th October and having very short time there I would prefer not to have to wait in line for too long. 

- Any particular place along the way you think I should not really miss?

Once again here's my full trip:  Chicago, IL - Hartford, WI - Des Moines, IA - Blair, NE - Mitchell, SD - Pierre, SD - Badlands Nat. Park - Mt. Rushmore/Custer St. Park - Cheyenne, WY - Denver, CO - Durango, CO - Page, AZ - Las Vegas, NV - Flagstaff, AZ - Albuquerque, NM - Las Cruces, NM - Roswell, NM - Alpine, TX - Kerrville, TX - Austin, TX - Dallas, TX - McAlester, OK - Galena, KS - St Louis, MO - Springfield, IL - Chicago, IL

Thanks in advance for your help !

Dan
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5158
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 08:19:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fontman 2014/09/01 18:19:52
I'm sure the Milwaukeeans will offer some stops along your route from Chicago to Hartford (I-94 and US-41 north to WI-60?), but in more general terms I'd suggest a bratwurst (The Brat Stop is a well-known attraction), cheese sampler plate, and Friday night fish fry for Wisconsin.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/08/26 08:21:53
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 09:44:41 (permalink)
Since you are from Italy, seems logical that while in Chicago you should try an Italian beef sandwich. There are plenty of places that serve this. Here is one of the better one's.
http://www.alsbeef.com/
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 10:09:19 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
I'm sure the Milwaukeeans will offer some stops along your route from Chicago to Hartford (I-94 and US-41 north to WI-60?), but in more general terms I'd suggest a bratwurst ( is a well-known attraction), cheese sampler plate, and Friday night fish fry for Wisconsin.

Thank you ! Does this place offer cheese samples too or I should go somewhere else instead? (I'm a big fan of cheese)
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 10:10:07 (permalink)
Davebassman
Since you are from Italy, seems logical that while in Chicago you should try an Italian beef sandwich. There are plenty of places that serve this. Here is one of the better one's.

Interesting ! We don't really have this kind of stuff in Italy so I'm not sure what's "Italian" about it, regardless of this: it looks gorgeous, will give it a try ! 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 10:13:13 (permalink)
If you don't want to wait in line, you don't want to go to Franklin BBQ in Austin. I don't know where you would have heard mixed reviews, as it is widely considered to be the best in the country right now. But - and this is a big but,  there is also a line...always. Worse - you could wait in line and they could still run out of the thing that you were hoping to order (though they really do a good job of managing your expectations). J Mueller and La Barbecue are excellent alternatives, but, depending on day and/or time of day (some of those places keep odd hours, too), you could find lines or shortages of product.

The key to the most popular Texas BBQ places, in my opinion is to either arrive super early or be completely flexible with what you had hoped to order.

That region of Texas is a goldmine for barbecue. Small towns that surround Austin are barbecue meccas. You can use this list as a handy guide, if you are able to explore some of the small towns nearby - and all over Texas. Also, if you are on Twitter, I would suggest following @bbqsnob. He's the best. And, as busy a guy as he is, he usually answers questions directed his way.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5158
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 10:16:28 (permalink)
Danusa86
ScreamingChicken
I'm sure the Milwaukeeans will offer some stops along your route from Chicago to Hartford (I-94 and US-41 north to WI-60?), but in more general terms I'd suggest a bratwurst ( is a well-known attraction), cheese sampler plate, and Friday night fish fry for Wisconsin.

Thank you ! Does this place offer cheese samples too or I should go somewhere else instead? (I'm a big fan of cheese)

Yes, The Brat Stop has cheese and another well-known attraction along the I-94 corridor is Mars Cheese Castle, so you're in luck!
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 11:17:12 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
If you don't want to wait in line, you don't want to go to Franklin BBQ in Austin. I don't know where you would have heard mixed reviews, as it is widely considered to be the best in the country right now. But - and this is a big but,  there is also a line...always. Worse - you could wait in line and they could still run out of the thing that you were hoping to order (though they really do a good job of managing your expectations). J Mueller and La Barbecue are excellent alternatives, but, depending on day and/or time of day (some of those places keep odd hours, too), you could find lines or shortages of product.

The key to the most popular Texas BBQ places, in my opinion is to either arrive super early or be completely flexible with what you had hoped to order.

That region of Texas is a goldmine for barbecue. Small towns that surround Austin are barbecue meccas. You can use as a handy guide, if you are able to explore some of the small towns nearby - and all over Texas. Also, if you are on Twitter, I would suggest following @bbqsnob. He's the best. And, as busy a guy as he is, he usually answers questions directed his way.

Cheers. By mixed reviews I intended different opinions on which one is the best, not that anybody ever said Franklin or JMueller are bad :) 
My problem is this: I will be leaving at 7.00 AM at Kerrville but would like to stop at the Hamilton Pool for a quick dive at 9.00 AM. This means that I won't be in Austin until 11.00 AM on a Sunday. I assume that might be early enough to line up but, at the same time, I'll have to be in Dallas by 4.30 PM for a work meeting :(
What would your suggestion be taking into consideration all the constraints I have just mentioned? 

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 11:24:49 (permalink)
Sunday adds an additional complication, for sure. Let me see what information I can dig up and get back with you.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 11:42:42 (permalink)
Hmmm....a cursory search of some web sites and it seems like Sunday isn't nearly as much of a problem as if you would have wanted to go on a Monday! Most places open at 11 am, but many of these places will also have lines in place at opening time. You can read Yelp reports from almost all of the premier establishments of arriving a half hour before opening only to find a two hour line. That can happen at Muellers, it can happen at La Barbecue, and it WILL happen at Franklin.

Given you have an appointment four hours north of Austin, your best bet might be Stiles Switch, which is also on the above-referenced Texas Monthly Top 50 list (this list also includes a map at the bottom, which may help your travel planning). They also open at 11, but your likelihood of finding an obnoxious line is greatly reduced. I have never been steered wrong by any Daniel Vaughn recommendation.

The Top 50 list also includes a place in Kerrville (Buzzie's) and in Belton, which is on the way north from Austin to Dallas. 

In addition, on your way out of town, you can make a quick and easy stop off of I-35 in Round Rock and grab some delicious Round Rock Donuts (my favorites are the cinnamon twists). It is easy to spot, as it is just about right under the Round Rock water tower. Bring those to your meeting in Dallas, and you will be a hero.
ALL GOOD
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 13:16:28 (permalink)
When in Hartford, WI be sure to check out The Mineshaft. It's the largest bar/restaurant in Wisconsin.  Takes up almost a city block now.  Started out as a dinky, narrow bar, thus the name mineshaft.   They offer up some fairly standard fare, but it would be worth stopping in and having a cold one and maybe a basket of deep fried cheese curds on the side... their pizzas are really good too.  Standard midwest thin crust.
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 13:58:31 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
Hmmm....a cursory search of some web sites and it seems like Sunday isn't nearly as much of a problem as if you would have wanted to go on a Monday! Most places open at 11 am, but many of these places will also have lines in place at opening time. You can read Yelp reports from almost all of the premier establishments of arriving a half hour before opening only to find a two hour line. That can happen at Muellers, it can happen at La Barbecue, and it WILL happen at Franklin.

Given you have an appointment four hours north of Austin, your best bet might be Stiles Switch, which is also on the above-referenced Texas Monthly Top 50 list ( also includes a map at the bottom, which may help your travel planning). They also open at 11, but your likelihood of finding an obnoxious line is greatly reduced. I have never been steered wrong by any Daniel Vaughn recommendation.

The Top 50 list also includes a place in Kerrville (Buzzie's) and in Belton, which is on the way north from Austin to Dallas. 

In addition, on your way out of town, you can make a quick and easy stop off of I-35 in Round Rock and grab some delicious Round Rock Donuts (my favorites are the cinnamon twists). It is easy to spot, as it is just about right under the Round Rock water tower. Bring those to your meeting in Dallas, and you will be a hero.

Thank you. Will try this out then ! I might still dry to drive round JMueller's to see how long the line is though ... might be worth a try ! if it's too long I'll just change destination.

Anybody can tell me anything about Sam's on 12th and the Salt Lick in Driftwood? some websites mention them and some not so I'm not sure. Also, how dangerous is East Austin? haha as an European there is some sort of "terrorism" made by the media about how dangerous big American cities can be ! 

And thanks for the Donuts one ! seems great ! 

Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 13:59:33 (permalink)
ALL GOOD
When in Hartford, WI be sure to check out The Mineshaft. It's the largest bar/restaurant in Wisconsin.  Takes up almost a city block now.  Started out as a dinky, narrow bar, thus the name mineshaft.   They offer up some fairly standard fare, but it would be worth stopping in and having a cold one and maybe a basket of deep fried cheese curds on the side... their pizzas are really good too.  Standard midwest thin crust.

How nice that it happens to be in Hartford ! going there for work and when they told me where this little town was I had that feeling of "in the middle of nowhere", but now I have one more reason to go ! haha
ALL GOOD
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 14:11:02 (permalink)
Danusa86
ALL GOOD

How nice that it happens to be in Hartford ! going there for work and when they told me where this little town was I had that feeling of "in the middle of nowhere", but now I have one more reason to go ! haha

Actually plenty to do there.  Nice, small, safe town.  Lots of small taverns along the main drag where the Mineshaft is.  I would recommend just doing a mini pub crawl and people watching.  I grew up there.  Lots of interesting characters like most small towns.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7032
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 14:13:48 (permalink)
Danusa
What a wonderful trip you have planned!  I do not know this area of the country very well, but the other posters do, so listen to them!  When in Iowa you really should have a pork tenderloin sandwich and a Chicago style dog in Chicago.  I see you are from Brescia......my grandparents were from Torino and I had several wonderful trips to that area when I lived in France.  Enjoy your trip to the US!!!!
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 15:06:31 (permalink)
lleechef
Danusa
What a wonderful trip you have planned!  I do not know this area of the country very well, but the other posters do, so listen to them!  When in Iowa you really should have a pork tenderloin sandwich and a Chicago style dog in Chicago.  I see you are from Brescia......my grandparents were from Torino and I had several wonderful trips to that area when I lived in France.  Enjoy your trip to the US!!!!

Thank you ! My sister actually lives in Torino :) 
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 15:10:18 (permalink)
Other people will, no doubt, steer you to the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver. I'm an agnostic on it, as I have never been.  My favorite Denver-area place is the Castle Cafe in Castle Rock, which is about 30 miles south of Denver. It's a lovely drive through some nice country. They serve pan-fried chicken with all the usual accompaniments, but only at dinner (perhaps all day on Sunday, but I don't know about that for sure). Their web site seems to be "down" at the moment, but here's some information, courtesy of Google:

Castle Cafe

Directions

$$ • American Restaurant

Unfussy pub in a former 1890s hotel plating hearty American fare like pan-fried chicken & burgers.Address: 403 Wilcox St, Castle Rock, CO 80104Phone:(303) 814-2233

Hours:

Open today · [link=javascript:void(0)]11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 4:30 – 9:00 pm[/link]

Monday11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 4:30 – 9:00 pmTuesday11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 4:30 – 9:00 pmWednesday11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 4:30 – 9:00 pmThursday11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 4:30 – 9:00 pmFriday11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 4:30 – 10:00 pmSaturday4:30 – 10:00 pmSunday11:30 am – 8:00 pm

post edited by rumaki - 2014/08/26 15:11:19
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 15:38:59 (permalink)
I am one of those people that will "steer" you to the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver. For classic iconic Colorado Roadfood I would consider this my must go to "off the plane" stop whenever I'm in Denver. Besides game dishes such as Buffalo and Elk, try the Rocky Mountain Oysters if you dare.

Although not in Denver proper but under a 30 minute drive in nearby Morrison nestled in the Rockies foothills, is The Fort another "must stop" Roadfood treasure.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/08/26 15:47:21
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 16:10:07 (permalink)
Lots of great places in St. Louis, of course, and if you're interested in trying some Italian-American food, the restaurants on "The Hill" are the place to go.  DiGregorio's is a wonderful grocery/deli if you get homesick for genuine Italian foodstuffs.  http://www.digregoriofoods.com/

I've had delicious meals at many of the St. Louis places listed here on the Roadfood site.  Goody Goody Diner was legendary, but has changed hands, so I don't know how it is now.  http://www.stlmag.com/dining/After-60-Years-A-Change-in-Ownership-at-Goody-Goody-Diner/

Crown Candy Kitchen is a throwback to another era (circa 1913) with superb ice cream (I love the black walnut) and wonderful sandwiches. http://crowncandykitchen.net/
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 17:14:47 (permalink)
Thank you. I had eyed the Buckhorn Exchange and might give it a try. Lots of suggestions here ! haha regarding St Louis? what about BBQ also there? how would you compare it to the Texan one? 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 18:05:05 (permalink)
For BBQ in STL, I would heartily endorse Pappy's. The next place that is on my list to try (and I am hoping to be able to when I visit in October) is Bogart's. I am on my phone, so I don't really have the ability to post links, but you can find out more information about both easily. They are very popular places.

St. Louis barbecue bears little resemblance to what you will find in central Texas. In Texas, the 'cue is all about the flavor of the meat. While the smoke flavor has some importance in STL, they are generally more thought of in terms of their sauce. Pappy's does a really good job of balancing their smoked meat flavor with the sauce (too often the sauce overpowers the flavor of the meat). Pappy's is also pretty well known for their excellent selection of sides, while Texas barbecue - especially the places you have mentioned as being interested in - leaves sides as an afterthought. You might find some beans, but are otherwise limited to little more than pickles, onions and cheese. 

No stop in St. Louis would be complete without a visit to the Ted Drewes on Chippewa for custard. And, my favorite place in all of STL is just outside the Hill area - a small, old Irish pub called O'Connell's. They make the best roast beef sandwich you're likely to have and also put out a fine burger.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15305
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/26 21:16:04 (permalink)

Skipping over Illinois and Wisconsin to IOWA- and depending on your route and available time...

1. Cedar Rapids- In the center of town is a 3 or 4 block area designated "The Czech Village" with shops, Bakeries and a good meat market/restaurant..if you enjoy Czech food. http://www.villagemeatmarketcafe.com/

2. DES MOINES- The Iowa BeefSteak House has been around for a long time and still serves a fine steak and/or thick-cut Pork Chop. You grill it on their massive grill or they do it for you.
http://www.iowabeefsteakhouse.com/index.html

3, After sightseeing MT Rushmore and all the animals at Custer St Park, stop in Custer S D for a Breakfast- anytime of day , at the cafe in that little town. The Blueberry Pancakes are great.

4. Skipping over Denver- I Assume you will do I-70 west then US 550 south to Durango. One of the most beautiful rides in the USA. The RED BARN in Montrose is one the last of the chain still in business...puts out a decent Roadfood lunch or dinner at reasonable cost. Also there is a Russell Stover Outlet Store on the highway to fill any craving for good quality chocolate while you are on the road.

5. Durango (Via Silverton) stop in Silverton on your way to Durango and learn of the historic narrow gauge railroad that the hiway follows south. In Durango the SERIOUS TEXAS BBQ is a good Lunch/Dinner stop. before turning west and heading out of the mountains. http://www.serioustexasbbq.com/ 

6. Enjoy the scenery and change of scene in Monument Valley as you head for Lake Powell and Page, AZ. Plenty of average food stops in Page, nothing stands out in my memory. The ride from Page to Las Vegas can be a beautiful scenic tour, or a desolate desert wasteland depending on what you choose.
I suggest taking the backway thru Kanab, MT Carmel Jct. Zion Nat'l Park and St George, Utah. It certainly is more scenic and offers some brief food stops along the way. Never pass by the opportunity to visit ZION Nat'l Park. It is spectacular. The alternate route that goes from Kanab thru Colorado City (the Polygamy center) to St George

7. We enjoyed our visits (2) to the Salt Lick BBQ in Drift Wood TX. If it fits your schedule I would recommend the place for the ambience good BBQ and access. http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

8.As mentioned at the BELTON exit on I-35 going North towards Dallas SCHOEPF'S BBQ is just a block off the freeway at that exit. here's their web site. It would be a very convenient stop on your way up to Dallas.
http://www.schoepfsbbq.com/

9. Rolling up I-44 toward St Louis, in Rolla, Missouri is the "SLICE of PIE" shop just 2 blocks off the freeway and offering some of the best Pie and pastry in Mid-America, A great place for a stretch and coffee break an hour or so from ST LOUIS. http://asliceofpie.info/

10- TTM's comment on OConnell's Pub and restaurant in St Louis is Spot ON. That Roast Beef Sandwich on your choice of bread or roll is outstanding and NOT expensive. Rib Tips, the Fish Fry, and their Chili all are excellent comfort food.

OK That's my contribution. I can answer questions about routing out west as we have traveled that area several times.. 
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 06:33:46 (permalink)
mayor al

Skipping over Illinois and Wisconsin to IOWA- and depending on your route and available time...

1. Cedar Rapids- In the center of town is a 3 or 4 block area designated "The Czech Village" with shops, Bakeries and a good meat market/restaurant..if you enjoy Czech food. 

2. DES MOINES- The Iowa BeefSteak House has been around for a long time and still serves a fine steak and/or thick-cut Pork Chop. You grill it on their massive grill or they do it for you.

3, After sightseeing MT Rushmore and all the animals at Custer St Park, stop in Custer S D for a Breakfast- anytime of day , at the cafe in that little town. The Blueberry Pancakes are great.

4. Skipping over Denver- I Assume you will do I-70 west then US 550 south to Durango. One of the most beautiful rides in the USA. The RED BARN in Montrose is one the last of the chain still in business...puts out a decent Roadfood lunch or dinner at reasonable cost. Also there is a Russell Stover Outlet Store on the highway to fill any craving for good quality chocolate while you are on the road.

5. Durango (Via Silverton) stop in Silverton on your way to Durango and learn of the historic narrow gauge railroad that the hiway follows south. In Durango the SERIOUS TEXAS BBQ is a good Lunch/Dinner stop. before turning west and heading out of the mountains. serioustexasbbq.com/ 

6. Enjoy the scenery and change of scene in Monument Valley as you head for Lake Powell and Page, AZ. Plenty of average food stops in Page, nothing stands out in my memory. The ride from Page to Las Vegas can be a beautiful scenic tour, or a desolate desert wasteland depending on what you choose.
I suggest taking the backway thru Kanab, MT Carmel Jct. Zion Nat'l Park and St George, Utah. It certainly is more scenic and offers some brief food stops along the way. Never pass by the opportunity to visit ZION Nat'l Park. It is spectacular. The alternate route that goes from Kanab thru Colorado City (the Polygamy center) to St George

7. We enjoyed our visits (2) to the Salt Lick BBQ in Drift Wood TX. If it fits your schedule I would recommend the place for the ambience good BBQ and access. 

8.As mentioned at the BELTON exit on I-35 going North towards Dallas SCHOEPF'S BBQ is just a block off the freeway at that exit. here's their web site. It would be a very convenient stop on your way up to Dallas.

9. Rolling up I-44 toward St Louis, in Rolla, Missouri is the "SLICE of PIE" shop just 2 blocks off the freeway and offering some of the best Pie and pastry in Mid-America, A great place for a stretch and coffee break an hour or so from ST LOUIS. 

10- TTM's comment on OConnell's Pub and restaurant in St Louis is Spot ON. That Roast Beef Sandwich on your choice of bread or roll is outstanding and NOT expensive. Rib Tips, the Fish Fry, and their Chili all are excellent comfort food.

OK That's my contribution. I can answer questions about routing out west as we have traveled that area several times.. 

Wow, now that's a lot of suggestions.

Concerning U.S. 550 I was actually thinking about taking U.S. 87 through Colorado Springs and Pueblo and stop at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. 

Is it worth a stop there? or better go for U.S. 550 instead? both in terms of scenery and food of course ! 
OxDawg
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 10:40:21 (permalink)
For fast food in Las Vegas try In n Out burger. Also in Kingman Arizona try Mr. D'z Diner
LJM
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 11:35:56 (permalink)
In Durango, you might want to try Old Tymers Cafe (http://www.360durango.com/Restaurants/oldetymerscafe.html) 1000 Main Ave, Durango, CO 81301.  OTC has been around for a long time, even when I lived in the area some 30 years ago.  They've got great green chili burgers and green chili stew!  Safe travels!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 14:10:44 (permalink)
OK, The three choices out of Denver to Durango each have pluses and minus's .
1. Using I-70 west to Grand Junction, over "The Top" , thru the Eisenhower tunnel, with possible stops at Vail anf Glenwood Springs. South on US 550 to Montrose as mentioned earlier. The drive from OURAY to DURANGO is unbelieveable. with a stop in Silverton for ambience. On the downside it has some empty areas near Grand Jct.

2. The Middle route using US 50 from Pueblo West thru Salaida and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to Montrose then turn South on US 550 to Durango.  Lots of mountain scenery close-up. adds a lot of driving time compared to the I-70 route.

3. US 160 across the southern part of the state is a mixed bag of mountain and high desert area it is a very interesting ride, but I would recommend the other two over the third...maybe a side trip to the dunes, but you will see lots of desert in the Vegas area

ADD- NOTE THE ALL CAPS AND RED WARNING.- YOU WILL BE TRAVELING IN OCTOBER. THE NORTHERN PLAINS (DAKOTA'S) AND COLORADO- ROCKY MTNS ARE NOTED FOR EARLY SNOWS, OFTEN WITH LITTLE WARNING.  BRING APPROPRIATE CLOTHING TO CARRY WITH YOU, EVEN IF 90% OF YOUR TRIP IS FORECAST TO BE FAIR AND WARM.
Danusa86
Junior Burger
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 14:54:01 (permalink)
Snow already? WOW that's going to be an experience then ! So you say better US 550 then Sand Dunes? ok worth a try then ! 

Anybody can suggest me any place to east in Flagstaff, AZ; Las Cruces or Roswell, NM, McAlester, OK? I'm missing those :) 

Also what would be the must-try specialty of each state I pass through? I mean ... Texas I assume BBQ and Steak, Colorado Rocky Mountain Oysters. Do Iowa, South Dakota, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois have a specialty? 
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 16:08:49 (permalink)
McAlester, Ok - adjacent to McAlester is Krebs, OK.  It is known as the "Little Italy" of Oklahoma.  This is because many Italian immigrants moved there to work in the mines ages ago, and they also opened restaurants and groceries for a taste of home in their new land.  I have heard that Pete's Place is quite good.  I am enclosing a link so you can read about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krebs,_Oklahoma
Safe travels!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7032
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 18:16:30 (permalink)
In Iowa get an "Iowa chop"......it's a big, thick pork chop that is sooooo tender.  Also get a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.
In New Mexico be sure to have a green chile cheeseburger.........preferably at Santa Fe Bite.  Theirs are the best!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Some Suggestions for My Road Trip 2014/08/27 21:54:19 (permalink)
Naturally if you pack a winter coat and gloves, this Fall will find us sharing a record warm season !!, Just be ready to duck into a Walmart and buy a cheap jacket, gloves, and perhaps a snow shovel to throw into the trunk of your car. Much of Colorado is above 5000 ft elevation and the snow comes quickly up there. Silverton is over 9000 ft elevation and near Telleuride one of the best ski resorts in the state.

States and examples of foods they are noted for...(suggestions only)
Iowa= Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich or Pork Chop.
Dakota's= Bison (Steak, Burger, Stew etc),
Utah= Scones
Nevada= Casino Buffet
Arizona= Native American/Mex (Fry Bread or Blue Tortillas)
N  Mex= Green Chili, Roasted Hatch Chili's
Oklahoma= BBQ and Catfish and good Beef
Missouri= Kansas City style BBQ, specialty items would be toasted raveoli and snout sanwiches in St Louis

You will not regret choosing the US 550 ride south from Montrose. The real challenge and scenery begin as you pass thru OURAY from there on it is an amazing road, have your camera ready. Any more questions, post them here, many of our members have traveled the area you will be passing thru.
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1