Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week

Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2009/06/06 16:50:46 (permalink)

Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week

I am hoping to visit some local places that are not necessarily ones that you might think of when visiting this area.  I am looking forward to the September bus tour and am certain that everyone coming will visit some great places.  I would be glad to show anyone who arrives early and / or stays late some other places as well.  Maybe I am rationalizing my desire to get out and visit some new places.  Anyway, this report covers our trip to Reid's at 150 Lake Avenue, Lockport, NY 14094.

The address is Lake Avenue, also known as Route 78, and leads up to Lake Ontario about 10 miles north of Lockport.  We decided that a nice, 70-degree day with low humidity would be a great day to stop at Reid's for lunch and then go a park on Lake Ontario for the afternoon.  The winters may be challenging here, but the spring and summer days are hard to beat (as I remember my summer days in eastern NC: 90 degrees and high humidity).

Reid's is a small roadside stand where you order from one of several windows:

There is a large parking lot behind the building with several picnic benches to eat:

The seating may appear limited, but to the right of this set of benches is another set.  When we arrived, the place was very full, but no one seemed to be without a place to eat.

The menu is basic roadside food.  They have hot dogs:

Cheeseburgers and fries are also on the menu:

I should have learned from other posters to get a better shot of the cheeseburger by opening the bun but forgot until too late.

The hot dogs are good, perhaps not as charred as at Ted's, but still decent enough.  The burgers are thin, so one may not be enough.  The fries are basic frozen ones but tasty enough.

One area of excellence is the chocolate shake:

I did not have one, but my wife and daughter commented on how good the shakes were.

Reid's is a pretty decent place to eat.  There is nothing spectacular that makes you regret the wasted years you have spent eating at other places, but it is good food.  Total price for two cheeseburgers, two fires, a hot dog, two chocolate shakes, and a Sierra Mist was $12.00, which is not too bad.  On a nice, sunny day, it makes for a great stopping off place on the way to the lake or just makes for a good place to hang out and enjoy the outdoors.  If anyone has extra time in September (shameless plug), I'll be glad to show you this place.
post edited by Buffalo Tarheel - 2009/06/14 13:22:30

17 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/06 16:55:20 (permalink)
    Good photos, BT.  Looks like a fine roadside stand. 

Are the hot dogs grilled?  I noticed that one is a bit wrinkled.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/06 17:00:20 (permalink)
    Hey, Don,

Yes, the hot dogs are grilled.  About the only places around here that I have not found them grilled is at the airport (and believe me, those airport hot dogs are not worth eating).  I have noticed that the skins wrinkle a bit when there a time lag after taking them off the grill (at least when I am cooking them at home).  Still very good-tasting, though.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/06 17:08:33 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel

Hey, Don,

I have noticed that the skins wrinkle a bit when there a time lag after taking them off the grill (at least when I am cooking them at home). 

That's kind of what I was thinking, too.  Still sounds good.  No inexpensive restaurants charcoal grill 'dogs around here!
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/06 23:03:23 (permalink)
    stop and get some popcorn near olcott  when your done tarheel at the outdoor stand.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/07 00:37:16 (permalink)
    Make sure you get to the Falls and stop at Viola's on Elmwood behind the City Market and have a steak and cheese sub. Do not go to the Viola's on Military Road - it sucks.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/07 07:25:42 (permalink)
    starfire62

stop and get some popcorn near olcott  when your done tarheel at the outdoor stand.

It's interesting that you mention Bye's popcorn stand.  We wanted to stop and get some popcorn on the way to the lake, but its summer hours are 6-10 PM weekdays.  I don't know if it is operating under those hours yet, but it was closed. I agree that it is a great place to stop because of the variety of popcorn they have.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY 2009/06/07 07:27:27 (permalink)
    Niagara

Make sure you get to the Falls and stop at Viola's on Elmwood behind the City Market and have a steak and cheese sub. Do not go to the Viola's on Military Road - it sucks.

Thanks, Niagara,

We don't get to the falls much anymore - we went more often when we lived in Wheatfield, but it's a bit longer drive from out here.  However, a good food recommendation is always a reason for a drive.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/14 13:41:58 (permalink)
    Taking a day off for hitting a Roadfood place worked out so well that we did it again the next Friday.  Having never been to Dinosaur Barbeque in Rochester, and knowing that the official RF trip is coming up in a matter of months, we decided to head to Rochester.  We really should go more often because Rochester is only an hour or so away from our home in the eastern Buffalo suburbs.

Here is the restaurant in all its glory.  It is a bit of challenge to reach because of the road construction (always a sign of summer in Western New York), but a good GPS will always lead you there:

We had differing meals.  One was the Carolina BBQ sandwich platter with mashed potatoes and gravy, along with red beans with rice and sausage:

The sandwich was good but messy to eat.  They call it "Carolina style" because it has the cole slaw on the pulled pork.  The pulled pork is not the eastern NC style with vinegar but is the normal pulled pork.  It was still good, of course, but a challenge to eat - give thanks for the napkin dispenser on the table.  The rice, beans, and sausage combination was outstanding: the sausage was not too hot but added flavor to the dish with its spiciness.  The mashed potatoes and gravy were very flavorful without being overly salty, which some places add to give flavor.  All together it was very filling.

The next dish was the pulled pork sandwich platter with mashed potatoes and gravy, along with macaroni and cheese:

Same comments as above, adding the note that the macaroni and cheese had some spiciness to it.

The last platter was the combination chicken and ribs with cole slaw and macaroni and cheese:

Of the two meats, the chicken was the better one in terms of tenderness.  The ribs were good but were a bit tough to get off the bone; i.e., not falling off the bone.  They were certainly edible and worth getting, just taking a bit work to eat.

Overall, the meals were very good, and I look forward to returning during the September RF trip (if not sooner).  It will be a great place to start that weekend if the schedule stays as listed (and still a great place to go if the schedule changes).

Outside the restaurant, you can take a look at the "mighty" Genessee River next to the restaurant.  Not quite Niagara Falls, but still interesting:

We took this parting shot of the windmill outside Dinosaur with the Rochester skyline in the background:

We had planned to visit the Five Guys in Rochester later that day (still none in Buffalo) but ended up west of town at Hamlin Beach State Park, which is a great place to sit by the water, read, and relax.  Instead of going back to Rochester, we drove home along the lake and stopped at Bye's Popcorn in Olcott for a couple of bags of popcorn.  We finished the day at Reid's with hamburgers and fries.  They were good, but the ice cream was a bit uneven: one good cone and another one with ice crystals.  We'd have been better stopping at Anderson's for ice cream, considering we passed it on the way home.

All and all, a good day which made me realize what a great time is ahead during the September Roadfood bus tour.  Hope to see a lot of you all there.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/14 16:46:34 (permalink)
    BT you make the upcoming tour look awfully tempting!  I'm always curious about Yankee interpretations of the food I take for granted around here.  :)
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/14 16:54:56 (permalink)
    Can't wait for the BBQ! Great pics, thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing you again in September.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/14 17:12:56 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

BT you make the upcoming tour look awfully tempting!  I'm always curious about Yankee interpretations of the food I take for granted around here.  :)

Nancy,

Does that mean you are coming to the September tour?  That would be so great.

I don't think that any southern BBQ places need to quake in fear that Dinosaur or other places in the North will put them out of business.  The BBQ is good but not of the caliber of a Bunn's or any of the plethora of restaurants in the Carolinas or TN and TX.  No disrespect to Dinosaur BBQ, of course, because we enjoyed it, and judging by the crowds that day, so do many others.
    post edited by Buffalo Tarheel - 2009/06/14 17:42:43
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/14 17:13:50 (permalink)
    TnTinCT

Can't wait for the BBQ! Great pics, thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing you again in September.

Thanks very much - looking forward to seeing you all then as well.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/15 00:12:25 (permalink)
    Rob, regarding that double-deck bridge in your downtown Rochester photo, I thought that you might like to know what the lower deck of the bridge was used for ( the upper level is Broad Street. )  From 1927 to 1956, Rochester had an honest-to-goodness subway. Actually, only two miles of the line were located underground ( downtown ), the rest of the line ran in an "open cut" that used to be the old Erie Canal. The subway used lightweight steel streetcars built around 1915, powered by electrified overhead wire, rather than the heavy steel third rail-powered cars typical of subways and elevateds from the 1930s on. The lower deck of the bridge was the subway's crossing of the Genessee River; it was originally an aquaduct that carried the waters of the Erie Canal over the river. Ridership on the subway plummeted after WW2, and the line was abandoned and scrapped in '56; an interstate highway was then built in much of the subway's former right-of-way.  
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/15 19:01:15 (permalink)
    Bob,

Thanks so much for the research.  I honestly did not know the significance of what I was taking a picture of.  You are right about the interstate highways in the area, with the outer loop and the inner loop coming together - I give thanks for GPS systems when locating the restaurant.  I do recall reading someplace about how it's possible to explore the abandoned subway lines when in the neighborhood.  Maybe that's an idea for a way to work out some of the food in September by going into the old subway tunnels - not that it is necessarily a good idea.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/15 19:33:18 (permalink)
    Actually, Rob, there wasn't much research involved. I just went to my DVD library and pulled out "The End of the Line - Rochester's Subway" and watched it again. It's a documentary that was originally produced for a local TV station in Rochester a few years ago.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/06/15 22:31:59 (permalink)
    BT, no unfortunately I'm not.  But through no fault of your food pix and descriptions--I just have myself on a short leash these days.
    MeBeKili
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Some more Buffalo RF places: Reid's, Lockport, NY - added Dinosaur BBQ following week 2009/09/12 13:36:14 (permalink)
    One of the reasons for going to Reid's is the sauce..... if you didn't get your hotdog, burger and fries "with sauce", you missed a major part of going to reid's

And Bye's popcorn is GREAT!   Particularly the cashew caramel variety.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1