Somers Point NJ

Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1001
2010/09/04 11:48:19 (permalink)

Somers Point NJ

Has anyone been to the Inlet?  I seem to be in a rut going to the Crab Trap.

6 Replies Related Threads

ChrisOC
    Re:Somers Point NJ 2011/01/26 10:20:15 (permalink)
    Wow!  I guess not many people go there.
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Somers Point NJ 2011/05/08 01:10:34 (permalink)
    Hi Chris,
    I've been, it was good but expensive.  The decor is the opposite of the 'trap - light, airy.  The menu is also light and airy, with less of the "breaded and served with butter" dishes.  Plus, it is set up to present a view of the busy bay.  I'd go back but not go crazy to get there.
    ChrisOC
    Re:Somers Point NJ 2011/05/08 09:29:50 (permalink)
    The Inlet is no longer there.  I believe it getting ready to open under a new name.  I don't know if it is the same owner.
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Somers Point NJ 2011/05/08 11:06:51 (permalink)
    Yeah, not too surprising.  The facilty is really nice, but being between the Crab Trap and Charlies (and the others up on that hill) any new place will have to fight to establish itself - and I suspect that it would have to be year round to succeed. 
    Now, I wonder how the bridge/circle constuction is coming and if that will help.  I also wonder what kind of place might succeed there - some thoughts:
    1. Some kind of "margaritaville/senor frogs" type bar.  Just kind of go with the idea that seasonal is about the best it'll be, maybe design it so that most of the property could be shut down off season and keep only a small bar area open off-season.  
    2. An italian place that focuses on high volume (the place is so big) at reasonable prices - and with a water view to boot.  Voltaco's closes off season and all that's left is Luigi's (is that the name?) on 9th.  Like above, they could design it so major portions are shuttered off season but they remain open in a scaled back way.
    3. I'd like to see a high-end restaurant, local produce, known chef, etc.  But I don't think the local demo will support it - unless....
    4. Subdivide the space.  The most difficult hurdle, I believe, is the sheer size of the place.   If they have 4 separate restaurants, each doing their own thing and succeeding/failing on their own merit - I think that would actually raise the tide for the whole property and have better chance for overall success. 

What are your thoughts?  Of course, mine don't matter much and (maybe) there's already a new tenant for the space - I'm 200 miles away so haven't heard.  Have you heard anything?   
    ChrisOC
    Re:Somers Point NJ 2011/05/10 14:59:17 (permalink)
    Jaybo 

Just kind of go with the idea that seasonal is about the best it'll be, maybe design it so that most of the property could be shut down off season and keep only a small bar area open off-season.  

That sounds like a good idea, but I went past there about 15 minutes ago and it doesn't look like they are changing too much.  The new place is called BAIA and it looks quite upscale.
    Other updates....the Gringo Grill is being reborn as Bay Ave Sushi.....They removed the old trolly brige in front of Somers Mansion and at the moment Shore Road is closed......the circle is gone...on Thursday,  traffic will begin to use the new high span eastbound (into OC) over Beach Channel
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Somers Point NJ 2011/05/10 18:46:30 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

Jaybo 

Just kind of go with the idea that seasonal is about the best it'll be, maybe design it so that most of the property could be shut down off season and keep only a small bar area open off-season.  

That sounds like a good idea, but I went past there about 15 minutes ago and it doesn't look like they are changing too much.  The new place is called BAIA and it looks quite upscale.
    Other updates....the Gringo Grill is being reborn as Bay Ave Sushi.....They removed the old trolly brige in front of Somers Mansion and at the moment Shore Road is closed......the circle is gone...on Thursday,  traffic will begin to use the new high span eastbound (into OC) over Beach Channel

Thanks - I'll have to check them out.  I hope Baia is something more than a tourist trap.
    I wonder how the loss of the circle will impact the Crab Trap.  Regardless, it'll be nice when the whole project is complete. 

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1