Something to Crow About!

Author
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
2005/07/22 02:12:12 (permalink)

Something to Crow About!

Bless our hearts. After living in the same house for 30 years and making payments on same, we sent off our final mortgage payment this month, and now we no longer share ownership with the bank. It may be a big white elephant, but it is now totally ours, free and clear! Hubby and I understandably want to celebrate this momentous event, and what better way to do so than by having a nice dinner out. Here's the rub.

Hubby is not as enthusiastic about roadfood as I am, and has decided he likes the looks of the food on a tv commercial for Carrabas Italian Grill. I know this is a chain, but I went to the website and the menu looks like it has some decent offerings. Italian would not be my first choice for marking this awesome occasion, but hubby can't enjoy a good steak because of his dentures, lol.

Have any of you eaten at Carrabas? Was it good, bad, or mediocre? What would you recomment we try if we go there? Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all.

11 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 02:36:05 (permalink)
    Sorry, I've never even heard of Carrabas Italian Grill.

But why are you hesitant? What's more important, a happy hubby or the right to call yourself a Roadfood purist? If I were you and that's where he wanted to go, that's where I'd go. And if it wasn't good, I'd just tell him I get to pick the location of the next meal out.

Paying off the mortgage is a big deal, but not big enough to instigate resentment in your hubby. Just go where he wants to go is my advice. You'll have a happier, more relaxed meal and even if you don't like the food I think you'll be glad you did it. And consider: If you drag him somewhere else you'll have to worry all through the meal whether HE likes the food and, if not, you'll probably never hear the end of it. It's not worth it.

Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 02:45:00 (permalink)

Congrats on paying off your house!! That is a great feeling. I don't want to bust your bubble, but you will find that you don't own that house. The TAX MAN does. It's great to have that extra money to spend each month.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13497
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 04:03:37 (permalink)
    I have tried Carrabas many times and I have always enjoyed it. It is owned by Outback which I also enjoy. Outback also owns Bonefish Grill which is also very good.

Regardless of their chain status, their quality in my opinion is very good and their taste is equally very good.

I always get their mussel's as a appetizer.

I like their cleanliness, menu and appearance.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 07:46:23 (permalink)
    CONGRATS!!! Enjoy your meal!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15276
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 07:48:18 (permalink)

Congratulations on the Final Payoff! This is, indeed, a special event to be celebrated. I think Paul's recommendation is a good one. ENJOY THE MOMENT !
    PS- It is a special time when you can live in a place that is actually YOURS.
    Nachise
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 11:51:19 (permalink)
    Hello, I'm new to this forum. I came on to it by accident.

Congratulations! By all means, go to Carrabas. If they have any kind of grilled fish as a special, go for it. My husband is a big fan of their lentil and sausage soup.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 12:09:43 (permalink)
    I've only been to Carrabba's once -- I was dragged by a group.

I'd go back ... only if dragged by a group.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18445
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 12:28:10 (permalink)
    Congratulations. Go. Enjoy. It doesn't matter where or what. What matters is being able to celebrate with your husband. I didn't get the opportunity to celebrate it with my wife.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 13:23:38 (permalink)
    Ditto on the congratulations! Definitely worth celebrating. I've been to Carrabbas a few times and have enjoyed it immensely. I was surprised tro find out it was a chain. I have gone with some large groups so we had a good sampling of the menu including the fish and Italian things and everyone had compliments.
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 16:05:58 (permalink)
    As far as chains go, I think Carrabbas is definitely one of the best.

That said, we went recently after a hiatus of several months (unemployment can do that to ya) and I am sorry to say it seems quality has dropped. They used to have the creamiest Fettucine Alfredo I ever had, and it seems very pedestrian this time.

But they have lovely steaks and pretty good seafood. You should do fine!
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Something to Crow About! 2005/07/22 22:05:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. By the way BT, just for the record, I would never disappoint hubby just to preserve my status as a roadfoodie. The reason I asked the question is that we had originally intended to celebrate at Ivan's, which is here in town, where the quality is known. Ivan's is awesome. So both of us were wondering whether we should pass up Ivan's to try something unknown. That's why I posted.

Thanks to you reports, we are going to give Carrabas a try, and I will report back.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1