Sometimes it pays to go back

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2011
2005/02/02 16:14:07 (permalink)

Sometimes it pays to go back

As a kid starting about 50 years ago, my mom would take me to a certain bakery. Eventually my grandfather moved next door to it, so she bought stuff there at least weekly for perhaps 20 years. The quality was very good, and there was a lot about the place that would remind one of today's Butler's Donuts (Westport, Mass, reviewed on this site). Time passed, my grandfather died, and the bakery changed ownership several times, getting worse with each new owner. I still stopped now and then in the hopes that things would improve. The last time I went, perhaps 10 years ago, the bad taste on a strawberry tart was mold on the bottom. I still pass the place a few times a month, and for some reason stopped today. I had a excellent, fresh Bismark. I don't know for how long they have been good again, or if today I was just lucky. I will stop again. If it stays good, I may even post the Bakery name. Do you have any places that you used to go to before they went bad? Maybe you should try it again.

4 Replies Related Threads

Lavanda
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Sometimes it pays to go back 2005/05/04 17:27:14 (permalink)
    So.... have you been back since?
    tmiles
    RE: Sometimes it pays to go back 2005/05/05 09:41:10 (permalink)
    I stopped again and it was just ok. I plan to stop at least once more before , or if I post the name here.
    tmiles
    RE: Sometimes it pays to go back 2008/05/05 16:13:42 (permalink)
    It is time to get back to this..... To answer Lavanda's question, I have been back, as recently as this past Sunday. Helen's bakery on Greenwood Street "Home of the Giant Coffee Ring" in Worcester, Mass is doing a good job. Most of the many items that we most recently bought were excellent, and all were at least good. The apple strudle is the same as it has been for at least 50 years
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Sometimes it pays to go back 2008/05/06 07:20:33 (permalink)
    I also have returned to a spot that I thought had passed it's glory years.
    The Hilltop in Saugus Ma. Once the talk of the industry, the #1 grossing resturant in the country for many years.
    After a few changes in management time had taken it's toll on this once great Roadfood destination. I did continue to visit from time to time but it was like watching an old freind living out his remaning years in a VA hospital waiting for the grim reaper.
    After a few years abcence on my part I returned, to a plesant surprise I might add.
    Though not what it once was it seems to be making an effort to turn things around.
    I have dined there 3 times since the first of the year and haven't had a bad meal to date. The plant could use a little face lift but other than that the food is certainly Roadfood worthy. I would recommend this establishment to anyone visiting the area. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1