Sometimes you have to....

Author
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
2006/02/20 09:13:50 (permalink)

Sometimes you have to....

Sunday we were out and about inspite of the 10 degree temps. My SO had to stop at work, 9 miles to the south and on the drive home, every mom and pop we thought about stopping at for lunch was closed. SO wanted to stop at For Eyes for an adjustment to new glasses, I was quite hungry by this time so we decided to go to an Applebees which was nearby. I had their house sirloin while SO had their mango tialpia. My steak came to order, rare side of medium, with a blue cheese dressing and was quite good. SO's tialpia was also very good, both came with enough steamed veggies and garlic mashed potatoes that we brought home the extras. The waitstaff was very efficient and very friendly, they do a team approach which works out in that someone is always stopping by your table with more water or asking if everything was ok. All in all, haven't been to an Applebees in years, didn't have a very good opinion of them but based on this trip, will return again if nearby.

9 Replies Related Threads

Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/20 11:34:30 (permalink)
    I know a lot of people love Crapplebee's, but I cannot stand their food. On the very rare occasion I find something edible on their menu, they remove it as soon as possible. There are always at least three screaming children there and I am always late getting back to work from lunch when I eat there. The burgers are greasy and the chicken is like rubber. A friend of mine ordered the beef kabobs off of the Weight Watchers menu and they were grey and full of gristle. Worst of all is there selection of beer on tap, Bud, Bud Light, Killians and Amber Bock. I have had similar experiences at all Crapplebee's I have eaten at. So I do not blame any particular location.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/20 12:52:33 (permalink)
    I made the mistake of working there for about 2 weeks.
    They pre-cook many of their items, and bag them up and put them in the walk in afterwards.
    I never had a good meal there.
    But, each store is different, so you never know.
    Just my own experience there. Maybe we just had crappy cooks.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/20 13:32:04 (permalink)
    Not too long ago we had lunch at a fairly expensive French place in town, one that is chef owned and has the wife work FOH, the steak I had at Applebees was by far better, cooked exactly as asked for and far tastier than the steak fritte that was almost uncuttable at the French place. Half the price too. Not a big fan but we were nicely surprised.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/20 15:59:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

I made the mistake of working there for about 2 weeks.
    They pre-cook many of their items, and bag them up and put them in the walk in afterwards.
    I never had a good meal there.
    But, each store is different, so you never know.
    Just my own experience there. Maybe we just had crappy cooks.

I had a roommate in college who's brother managed an applebees somewhere down south. He said that virtually all of the food was pre-cooked and microwaved to re-heat when ordered.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/21 00:52:59 (permalink)
    That's why when I am forced to eat at Applebee's and the perky waitron asks how is everything I say "My compliments to the microwave!"

I usually get a salad since that's pretty hard to screw up. Although Applebee's can do it if they put their minds to it. But the microwave is true of all such restaurants, alas.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/22 19:43:24 (permalink)
    "That's why when I am forced to eat at Applebee's and the perky waitron asks how is everything I say "My compliments to the microwave!""

I'M GOING TO REMEMBER this ONE!

laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/23 14:56:28 (permalink)
    I ended up there with friends a few years ago while waiting for a movie and low on options. They were featuring the all you can eat riblet special. I asked the waitress exactly what cut of meat a riblet came from. She had no idea what I meant, but her look of total confusion was priceless. I had nachos and lots of beer.

Vayo con Queso
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/25 16:43:50 (permalink)
    Was just there last night, waiting for a movie also. The kid who was seating people sneezed on his hands & then grabbed silverware & seated some people. Gross.

I usually stick to the veggie patch pizza & a cocktail or dessert.
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Sometimes you have to.... 2006/02/26 12:34:54 (permalink)
    Here's what happens to me....I go to Applebee's...It sucks, I vow never to go back....A year or so goes by and then, I say to my better half..."Let's try Applebee's...It's been a while, I can't remember why we don't go there" And it sucks again! Then ANOTHER years goes by, and I say to my better half......

The same scenario happens with Denny's, Chili's, Fridays, Lonestar and a few others.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1