The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Tue, 07/24/07 11:29 PM (permalink)
My next part of my excursions took me in an easterly direction with a goal of heading south to the Long Island Sound. I was looking for a beach for me and my dogs. I once again used my Roafood GPS download as a guide for where to eat. My first place did not require any of that. I know and have eaten at Ted's in Meriden many times before. They are well reknowned for their steamed hamburgers which are even better with cheese.
This is a picture of the steamer as the cook attends to them.

Here is the famous cheeseburger. It is cooked through with no choice of doneness. It doesn't matter as they are incredibly juicy with a sturdy bun that helps hold it together.

Heading south on HWY#91 took me to New Haven, a city tht could fill up another thread. I turned eastword on the Boston Post Rd., which also could fill a whole thread....There are many Roadfood places along this drive.
My first stop was at Bishop Orchard's, a upscale and unique store that is a pick-your-own farm mixed with produce, grocery and bakery.
I bought a blueberry crumb coffee cake that was very good along with their store brand dog biscuits. They fall under the rule that a big item out front means that there is a good version of it inside.

This is the biggest artichoke I have ever seen. It is as big as a baby's head. That's my hand for scale.
I kept driving until I hit The Clam Castle. Pictured is their hot lobster roll with lobster bisque and my only exception about eating fried food, I could not resist these freshly made onion rings. Also is a another birch beer.

My goal was to find some kind of park with a beach. I did find a inland marsh to let them stretch.

I it was becoming later than I thought and I headed north. Eventually I found myself on the outskirts of Middlebury and at Guida's. They are a diner style restaurant with a ice cream window to the side. I had a chocolate shake, but was dissapointed that there was no malt...

The next day, I went about 15 miles west to Southbury. I have already shown pictures of Dottie's Diner, but these two places are reccomended here and very popular. All of these places are very close to each other.
First off is the Laurel Diner. They have a very good hash with shredded hash browns too. Homefries are avaialable too.

I talked to the owner and cook behind the grill Pete. A very pleasant guy to talk to. I find it odd that many Roadfood rated places are not aware of their status. He knew a little about us from previous customers. The same thing happened at Ted's and elsewhere.
As I left, I shouted out "Smile!" and here is one of the best photos I have ever taken. What a happy face and a deer in the headlight look from the waitress.

I took care of things in Southbury but felt that I would be remiss if I did not stop at Denmo's, a very popular place. This picture is a rarity as there is no line to order. A few minutes later there was.

Here is their 1/2 lb double cheese burger with onion rings and a chocolate malt. The cheese stuck to the roof of the bun. Birch beer, chocolate malts and good onion rings are part of my search...

That is enough for now. My next local circle will take me to New Haven. I suspect that a pizza is part of the itinerary.
Michael Hoffman, do you have any requests?

mark

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
    RE: Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Tue, 07/24/07 11:47 PM (permalink)
    nice pics, doggydaddy!

I was wishing I could see the actual burger from Ted's, beyond all that cheese...

but I was grateful that I got my burger view from your Denmo's pic. And I'm glad you finally got your chocolate malt! I could go for a burger and a choc. malt right about now!

ellen

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
      RE: Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Wed, 07/25/07 12:55 AM (permalink)
      YUM! YUM! YUMMY!!!

What else can I say?

Oh, yeah, good looking doggies.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
        RE: Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Wed, 07/25/07 7:30 AM (permalink)

===ellen wrote:
        I was wishing I could see the actual burger from Ted's, beyond all that cheese...===

Thanks ellen,

Of course you realize that you are one of my inspirations for doing these trip reports.
        Ted's makes one of the cheesiest burgers I have seen. They steam the cheese seperately and pour it onto the burger.

soozycue wrote:
        === YUM! YUM! YUMMY!!!
        What else can I say?
        Oh, yeah, good looking doggies. ===

So far I have shown what is very popular around here in Connecticut, hotdogs, burgers and seafood. Denmo's has all of these things. You can also get a lobster roll, clams or soft shell crab in a variety of configurations.
        My next focus will be pizzas, but that can be tough. You can only eat so many of them in a short period, but I may take one for the team. In Connecticut, you cannot throw a rock without hitting a pizza parlor.

The dog photos are a contrast to ellen's beach photos as they aren't wearing any clothes and are all legs.

mark

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
          RE: Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Wed, 07/25/07 7:53 AM (permalink)
          I wish I had that breakfast from the Laurel diner in front of me right now. Great job Mark, keep it up.

Thanks

buffetbuster

RE: Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Wed, 07/25/07 2:56 PM (permalink)
            doggydaddy-
            Great report! Excellent photos from Roadfood spots and bonus dog pics? It doesn't get any better than this!

I still haven't made it to Ted's, yet. That burger looks so good.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
              RE: Son of Drivin' in Circles in CT. Wed, 07/25/07 10:34 PM (permalink)
              This was nice reminiscing for me. Clam Castle was always our 1/2 way stop off point driving from NJ to Walpole Mass to visit my wife's cousin in the late 80's early 90's. Loved the clam chowder!

Never got to Ted's, but did stop a couple of times at O'Rourke's --Ken

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com