Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney,

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10198
2010/07/13 18:22:42 (permalink)

Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney,

Looks like Sonic has joined the "Bigger is Better" race to Obesity!  Who makes Sonic's Hot Dogs anyway?
A deeper question would be, will the other Hot Dog Makers, Sabrett's et al, join the the frenzy? Will all our Hot Dog Cart Brethern demand a foot long? Will Carts need to be reconfigured?? And what about the Bun People?
Is the Hot Dog Apocalypse upon us??" />" />" />" />

OKLAHOMA CITY, June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --  Just in time to celebrate National Hot Dog Month, SONIC®, America's Drive-In®, introduces its new and improved Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, a juicy, plump footlong hot dog topped with warm chili and melty cheese.
(Photo:  http://photos.prnewswire..m/prnh/20100628/CG27062)
(Photo:  http://www.newscom.com/cg...prnh/20100628/CG27062)
"SONIC's Coney has been a customer favorite for years," said Dominic Losacco, vice president of marketing for SONIC. "As part of SONIC's ongoing initiative to improve the quality of our products, we've made some significant changes to our signature SONIC entree to make it even tastier."  
The new and improved Footlong Quarter Pound Coney is a blend of beef and pork and boasts a bigger size than ever before, weighing in at a quarter pound.   The classic coney toppings of chili and cheese round out this entree that is reminiscent of summer picnics, baseball games and family gatherings.
From June 28 to August 29, the new Footlong Quarter Pound Coney is priced for a limited time at $2.99.

41 Replies Related Threads

ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 18:34:43 (permalink)
    Hard to eat one of those in the car!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 18:54:35 (permalink)
    I saw their commercial.  It appeared to me as it contains mega beans.  I do not do beans ever never.

The dog may be great but I will not be able to consume.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:02:37 (permalink)
    I've had a couple of them, but it was at least five years ago. As I recall, it was pretty good, but messy.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:08:53 (permalink)
    $3 for the Sonic Dog.  For half that ($1.50) we get a 1/4 lb Polish or all-beef Dog and a 20 oz refillable fountain drink at the Costco Snack Bar (with a variety of cold condiments). Other than a Dog at a Ball-game, the Costco Dog is our only venture into Weinie-World these days. 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3715
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:14:39 (permalink)
    No Sonics near me  but am going to try one if I get near a Sonics!
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:18:29 (permalink)
    Mayor Al I think there is a similar deal at Sam's Club. I will give the Sonic a try though if I get a chance. And Sundancer7 I hear ya but if I faced a future with no beans I'm not sure it would be worth going on.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:25:34 (permalink)
    One of the trade mags is reporting the Sonic Coney is going from 2.6 ounces to 4.0 ounces. With 3,500 restaurants, they have enough volume for a exclusive frank. Would need the plant number off the box to determine who actually manufactured it. Sabrett has had all beef and beef & pork 12" franks on their line card for a long time now. I don't know how many they sell, or if they are available year round.

I really don't think this upgrade of an existing menu item at Sonic is going to change customer preferences to any large extent nationwide.
    JT772
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:26:34 (permalink)
    Sundancer7 - I am a Managing Partner for a Sonic Drive-In, and can assure you that Sonic uses No Beans in our chili.
    The chili that we use is very meaty, and this is what you are seeing in the pics and commercials.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 19:52:32 (permalink)
    In the spirit of fair play I'll give the Sonic-Dog a try next time we stop to get a Cherry-Lime ade...my usual reason fr stopping there.

Sadly the closest Sonic to us (Clarksville, IN) recently went Belly-up. It lacked the usual location with lots of drive-by traffic...being on a side-street behind a strip mall.  So we have to go further for a good beverage. (and don't do that very often).
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 20:32:59 (permalink)
    JT772

Sundancer7 - I am a Managing Partner for a Sonic Drive-In, and can assure you that Sonic uses No Beans in our chili.
    The chili that we use is very meaty, and this is what you are seeing in the pics and commercials.

Sorry for the misinterpation but the commercial that I saw appeared like it had beans.  I am sure that you know due to your position. 

Beans and Sundancer does not agree.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 21:41:13 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

JT772

Sorry for the misinterpation but the commercial that I saw appeared like it had beans.  I am sure that you know due to your position. 

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

With All Due Respect, (As they say in Godfather I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX and X) Your adversion to anything with Beans is well documented on many posts on Roadfood. As a consumer of Sonic Hot Dogs, I can assure you that their Chili Contains No Beans! Actually their dogs are better than many I've tried from Independent Vendors. I get Chili/Onions, no Cheese. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 21:47:24 (permalink)
    ces1948

Hard to eat one of those in the car!

Many of their locations have a few tables where you can get out of the car, sit at a picnic table and munch away! I don't work for Sonic, but enjoy most of their products, especially Dogs & Drinks! Breaklfast Burritos not bad either for the price.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/13 21:58:14 (permalink)
    mayor al

$3 for the Sonic Dog.  For half that ($1.50) we get a 1/4 lb Polish or all-beef Dog and a 20 oz refillable fountain drink at the Costco Snack Bar (with a variety of cold condiments). Other than a Dog at a Ball-game, the Costco Dog is our only venture into Weinie-World these days. 

Costco & Sams Club are unique. They use their dogs to promote retail sales and create the impression that they are the absolute leader in low prices. It's a PR Department thing, not a profit center. They get such low costs from their suppliers that they are happy to break even on their Snack Bars. In the Retailing World, it's called a Lost Leader. Don't get me wrong, I love their Dogs. Worked near a Costco, went there 3 times a week for a Dog & Drink! I think they used Hebrew National. Don't know it for a fact, but I would bet they are the #1 & 2 Retailers of Hot Dogs in the Universe!  

A Hot Dog at a Ballpark could cost you upwards of $68.00!!!!!! Just ask The Wandereing Jew!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/07/13 22:01:22
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/14 08:10:23 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Sundancer7

JT772

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

With All Due Respect, (As they say in Godfather I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX and X) Your adversion to anything with Beans is well documented on many posts on Roadfood. As a consumer of Sonic Hot Dogs, I can assure you that their Chili Contains No Beans! Actually their dogs are better than many I've tried from Independent Vendors. I get Chili/Onions, no Cheese. 

I appreciate your research and sorry to be redundant.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/14 13:02:14 (permalink)
    JT, welcome to the forum! And thanks for clearing that up! I would not have eaten a chili dog here in Texas that had beans. In Oklahoma... maybe? :~) I am gonna try one now. Is it acceptable for folks in GA to put beans in their chili?

And JT, those $1 burgers yall make are pretty good, especially w/ an extra pattie and no cheese. Then they are a bit more $ w/ 2 patties but still a good deal.

Paul, please be careful who you accuse of putting beans in their chili. Hmm, does Windy's chili have beans? In some parts of Texas it is an offense punishable by.... hmm, something? :~)
    Joe
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/14 13:18:35 (permalink)
    JT772 (or anyone), will Sonic be offering the foot-long in addition to the extra long coney, or will it replace it for the 3 months? 

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/14 13:39:45 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

JT, welcome to the forum! And thanks for clearing that up! I would not have eaten a chili dog here in Texas that had beans. In Oklahoma... maybe? :~) I am gonna try one now. Is it acceptable for folks in GA to put beans in their chili?

And JT, those $1 burgers yall make are pretty good, especially w/ an extra pattie and no cheese. Then they are a bit more $ w/ 2 patties but still a good deal.

Paul, please be careful who you accuse of putting beans in their chili. Hmm, does Windy's chili have beans? In some parts of Texas it is an offense punishable by.... hmm, something? :~)
    Joe

I know you said it in jest but I did not accuse them.  I merely stated that the commercial they were running appeared to have beans in the chili.  If they run it in your area, observe closely.  Our friend FoodBme appears to be very knowledgeable regarding their menu.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/14 15:13:08 (permalink)
    actually---here in Oklahoma--its better then most hot dogs available---the foot long meal deal was filling and tasty---and there are no beans in the chili--i like the chili a lot better then the local 'conie" shops--the cheese is processed of course--but all in all--- a decent lunch

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3715
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/14 15:47:31 (permalink)
    Paul,   I can assure you that there are NO BEANS in the sauce.  It  is a ground meat and  chopped onion based sauce and no beans allowed!  So it is safe you you to go and enjoy one.
    post edited by Greymo - 2010/07/14 15:50:02
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 12:36:05 (permalink)
    I just finished one. It was better than I remembered. In fact, it was darned good.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 13:12:02 (permalink)
    Sundancer, "Did you remember to put the cover on your TPS report?  Didn't you get the memo?" 

Bonus points if you can guess the movie this is from and why it is so appropriate here!! 
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 14:04:41 (permalink)
    Paul, your words were... "I saw their commercial. It appeared to me as it contains mega beans." You are right of coarse. You did not "accuse". And also right about the "in jest" thing. But, sorry anyway. Now, are you gonna try one since it has no beans?

Tiki, thanks for the report! And, you know us Texans like to kid w/ our neighbors across tha Red River.
    Joe
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 14:52:26 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

Paul, your words were... "I saw their commercial. It appeared to me as it contains mega beans." You are right of coarse. You did not "accuse". And also right about the "in jest" thing. But, sorry anyway. Now, are you gonna try one since it has no beans?

Tiki, thanks for the report! And, you know us Texans like to kid w/ our neighbors across tha Red River.
    Joe

Yep--you folks down there in Baja Oklahoma are like that---but you make a great bowl of red and good brisket and sausages so we put with ya!
    DoubleChubbyChuck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 14:59:18 (permalink)
    billyboy

Sundancer, "Did you remember to put the cover on your TPS report?  Didn't you get the memo?" 

Bonus points if you can guess the movie this is from and why it is so appropriate here!! 

Thats from the movie Office Space.  I do not know the significance of it as it pertains to this thread.

On another note, these 1/4 dogs are about the size Sonic used to have back in the 70's.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 15:26:16 (permalink)
    Tiki, Baja Oklahoma... funny! :~)  Put UP w/ ya... is I think what you are sayin. Hey, yall put up w/ us and weel put up w/ yall. :~0
    Joe
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/07/15 17:53:41 (permalink)
    Sound like some Sooner is gettin uppity, Baja Oklahoma my foot! :)

Sorry Tiki, Texas parents and all the kin still there.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/08/09 20:55:35 (permalink)
    There are a couple Sonic's within about 5 miles of home.  I'm going to have to stop in one day and try one.  I believe eating off the tailgate of the truck would be the best option.  Cherry Limeades are good, too, although I haven't been there in some time. 

I do enjoy a good Coney, however.   Don't forget the mustard and onions on it, too.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/08/13 10:40:59 (permalink)
    My own experience has been that the Sonic chili-cheese-onion dog with a cherry limeade is one of the great fast food, or junk food if you will, experiences.  I agree that it is hard to manage in a car if you are moving.  I always ask for handfuls of extra napkins and try to cover everything from the neck down before I start driving.  Then it is still a problem to pick up the sandwich and, driving carefully, take a bite.

One thing about this food combination that PapaJoe8 will appreciate even if no one else does, the (cherry) limeade and chili reminds of Shanghai Jimmy's serving lemonade with Chili-Rice.   The combination was original with Jimmy, at least in my experience, and a real innovation.  It has been mentioned several times on this and other message boards. 

The worst thing about my two most frequently visited Sonics is that they are better situated for Southbound traffic whereas I am generally Northbound when I go past and in a traffic situation where a left turn may not be easy.  Probably good for me.  I eat too much anyway.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Sonic's Footlong Quarter Pound Coney, 2010/08/13 13:56:16 (permalink)
    Born in OKC

My own experience has been that the Sonic chili-cheese-onion dog with a cherry limeade is one of the great fast food, or junk food if you will, experiences.  I agree that it is hard to manage in a car if you are moving.  I always ask for handfuls of extra napkins and try to cover everything from the neck down before I start driving.  Then it is still a problem to pick up the sandwich and, driving carefully, take a bite. 

YOU'RE EATING A FOOTLONG WHILE DRIVING!!???" />" />
    Do you talk on your cell phone at the same time too?
    At least you'll have a full stomach when they take you to the Hospital after rthe crash!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1