Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Rab Dalas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/22 12:13:19 (permalink)
The Anderson, SC Sonny's closed a couple months ago-can't figure out why. Always seemed to be doing a good business.
I certainly prefer other BBQ joints in the area, but, as said before, it was consistent and not too expensive. I always had good service there. Only thing I really miss though is the soup and salad bar. It was exceptional.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/24 00:06:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A
[ I'm familiar with Woody's on north Nova

Since we are talking Daytona area Q, there's also a Woody's on Rt 40 on the Beach side. I'm not sure which I prefer, Sonny's or Dustin's (in Ormond) but I more often go to Dustin's because it's closer to other places I'm likely to be going (Wal-Mart, Lowe's, pet store) and Sonny's is usually too crowded at lunch time. And that monster glass of tea to go wins my affection.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/24 11:56:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
[ I'm familiar with Woody's on north Nova

Since we are talking Daytona area Q, there's also a Woody's on Rt 40 on the Beach side. I'm not sure which I prefer, Sonny's or Dustin's (in Ormond) but I more often go to Dustin's because it's closer to other places I'm likely to be going (Wal-Mart, Lowe's, pet store) and Sonny's is usually too crowded at lunch time. And that monster glass of tea to go wins my affection.

Reminds me of one of Yogi Berra's Yogisms. When some one suggested a place for dinner he replied "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/24 13:47:22 (permalink)
Yeah, but I don't stand in line to eat at a restaurant. I just don't. And I don't think it's because Sonny's is that much better--it's just closer to to downtown Daytona and it's on Rt. 1 with all the businesses.
Grumpus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/28 07:35:22 (permalink)
Sonny's holds some wonderful memories for me. When I was a little girl in the 70s, my daddy would take me there for BBQ. Usually it was just my daddy and me, and we would we eat like a couple of hogs. I would usually get the hot dogs and BBQ beans with fries, cole slaw and garlic toast, although I recall the eating the sliced beef as well. Hands down, the beans were the very best. I still think about the chewy pieces of pork that were hidden in that amazing sauce. Yum!
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/28 21:24:25 (permalink)
I really like Sonny's. Especially the sliced pork and the chicken. Favorite sides are the Barbecue beans and macaroni & cheese. Cole slaw is pretty good, potato salad is edible. I don't really like the green beans, but others think they are great.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/29 11:47:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Yeah, but I don't stand in line to eat at a restaurant. I just don't. And I don't think it's because Sonny's is that much better--it's just closer to to downtown Daytona and it's on Rt. 1 with all the businesses.

I'm with you on standing in line to eat, or anything else for that matter, did that too many times when I worked for Uncle Sam many years ago.
Ouisch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/07 17:46:57 (permalink)
We can only get Sonny's when we visit my in-laws in Georgia, so I consider it a treat. I love their smoked chicken and the variety of BBQ sauces. No, it's not top-notch barbecue, but for a twice-a-year dining experience, I give it four stars. (For true Southern barbecue, you must head to Zeb's outside of Danielsville, Georgia.)
gcw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/08 02:06:37 (permalink)
We spend a couple of months in the Keys in the winter, so we visit the location in Florida City about once a week, when we drive up from Marathon to visit "Robert is Here" a fruit/veggie stand (that's an understatement) in Florida City to stock up on fresh produce. It's not the best BBQ we've ever had, but we enjoy it.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/08 02:32:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ouisch
[For true Southern barbecue, you must head to Zeb's outside of Danielsville, Georgia.

For true Southern BBQ, I'd have to be able to find the place somewhere on a back road in South Carolina I hit one day in June of 1971 while driving from Durham, NC to Gainesville, FL. But in lieu of that, Sonny's will often do.
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/08 09:55:40 (permalink)
Sonny's barbeque is very good barbeque. Is it better than an expert's roadside shack? Maybe not, but it still compares favorably to the archetypal old-timers bbq pit.

The only problem with Sonny's as noted by several other posters here is with its consistency. I used to frequent the three locations in Tallahassee and the only one that consistently turned out great barbeque was the Market Square location. Maybe it was because it was the newest of the three, but I never had a bad meal there.

And the Sonny's here in Athens, GA is sadly an inconsistent franchise.

Compared to other franchise barbeque joints like Famous Dave's or Smokey Bones, Sonny's stands head and shoulders above them.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/08 12:36:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tfrielin
The only problem with Sonny's as noted by several other posters here is with its consistency. I used to frequent the three locations in Tallahassee and the only one that consistently turned out great barbeque was the Market Square location. Maybe it was because it was the newest of the three, but I never had a bad meal there.

In a way, I think of this as a plus. It means their food doesn't all come out of some central commercial kitchen someplace like "New Yawk City!"
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4120
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/08 19:11:06 (permalink)
I've visited Sonny's many times over the years on vacations to Orlando. Good stuff, great value, and never a real disappointment.

My present Orlando favorite is Bubbalou's Bodacious on the SW corner of Kirkman and Conroy-Windemere (near Universal).

I am "Q-conflicted" as I now live in Dallas, home of brisket, and crave whole hog Eastern NC. Solution for anywhere: order the pulled pork anywhere in the US, specify "no sauce", and pull out your bottle of Scott's Sauce. My wife and I go through 12 pint bottles of this a year for this and many other purposes, including gifts. www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/08 19:47:29 (permalink)
Hey MJ, Mrs QFan and I do the same thing w/ bottles of Pierce's sauce from Williamsburg, VA. It's a spicy, vinegary, red sauce and seems to benefit most all pork sandwiches.

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/11/09 03:48:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim
[I am "Q-conflicted" as I now live in Dallas, home of brisket, and crave whole hog Eastern NC. Solution for anywhere: order the pulled pork anywhere in the US, specify "no sauce", and pull out your bottle of Scott's Sauce. My wife and I go through 12 pint bottles of this a year for this and many other purposes, including gifts. www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com.

If you want an easy home version of Sonny's sliced pork Q and have access to Trader Joe's, buy their "carnitas," which is really just a chunk of pretty lean roasted pork, slice it fairly thin, apply your favorite sauce (and I gotta have some slaw also) and enjoy.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4120
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/12/18 18:54:11 (permalink)
Sonny's will sell you a decent meal for a reasonable buck. But, if you are staying in the area for more than one meal ask a local where they go for 'cue.
Arcayne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/12/21 02:12:03 (permalink)
I really like Sonny's in West Knoxville. Their ribs weren't impressive but the sliced pork BBQ is wonderful, I'd like to try some of their other meat sometime, but the sliced pork is so good:) I hope they don't go out of business. What's a little sad is that the best juicest ribs I've found in this are in the deli at my local Food City in Pigeon Forge, TN. But, I'm still researching ribs:)
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5432
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/12/21 19:31:08 (permalink)
We just got back from a 12 day trip to Disney World, PP asked to eat there while driving there and back home. Thats impressive! I think they have decent Q for a chain and decent prices.
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/12/31 22:11:20 (permalink)
I used to live about a block from a Sonny's in jacksonville, FL. I went to this one location once, and the food was so bad, I threw it out. I have similar inedible experiences at other Sonny's locations. Nothing is cooked low and slow.We used to joke that the place never smelled like BBQ because they likely microwaved their meats which were likely frozen. A terrible franchise with no consistency. Florida for the most part has no clue about BBQ. If you are driving to FL , go to the many excellent places in the Carolinas. FL and BBQ don't mix.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/12/31 22:57:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bigd

I used to live about a block from a Sonny's in jacksonville, FL. I went to this one location once, and the food was so bad, I threw it out. I have similar inedible experiences at other Sonny's locations. Nothing is cooked low and slow.We used to joke that the place never smelled like BBQ because they likely microwaved their meats which were likely frozen. A terrible franchise with no consistency. Florida for the most part has no clue about BBQ. If you are driving to FL , go to the many excellent places in the Carolinas. FL and BBQ don't mix.

I thought Sonny's smoked all the meat on the premises. Here's an except from the company that sells them (or used to)their smokers.

http://www.southern-pride.com/p/testimonials.php?id=5

Q: How long have you been using the Southern Pride Smoker in your restaurant?

A: We've been using Southern Pride from the start. Don Staley showed us the smoker back in the 70s. We looked at others, but they didn't compare. The Southern Pride Smoker was quality built. It maintains an even temperature, which is important to the way we prepare our meat. Because our core pro
ducts are wood-smoked barbecue beef, pork, chicken and ribs, we needed a cooker that would consistently produce the Sonny's flavor profile.

Our food has to be right all the time. It has to be the best. We serve a wide variety of customers, and they know they can find a lot of barbecue in the South. If we don't make certain we're serving the best barbecue around, they'll go somewhere else.

Q: Are Southern Pride Smokers in all your restaurants?

A: In our company owned restaurants, yes. And most of our franchisees have either put them in as original equipment or switched to them. There are some other smokers out there, but I imagine that, when the time comes to replace them, they'll change to Southern Pride.

The Southern Pride Smoker is just well suited to our needs. It accommodates the special way we do our cooking. First, we baste our meat in Sonny's proprietary sauce. Then, we cook it very slowly over a hardwood fire, smoking it with Black Jack Oak, which is native to the South and provides the flavor that appeals to our customers. And that's it. ' We cook it up slow and serve it fast and friendly .' That's our secret, and Southern Pride helps us keep it.

Q: What else appeals to you about the Southern Pride Smoker?

A: Sonny's Real Pit BBQ The engineering. It's easy to operate and clean. When routine maintenance has to be done, our restaurant managers can usually handle it. Or it can be done easily by a local appliance man.

Another thing that appeals to us is that the Southern Pride people understand how we do business . They know that if our smoker is down, we're out of business. So they're really good about getting us parts if and when they're needed, and they do it fast.

The service and the relationship is very reliable. When we call, we never get that 'we'll get back to you next week' routine.

Q: If some other restaurant owner called to get your opinion on the Southern Pride Smoker, what would you say?

A: A competitor? I'd say it's lousy! You don't expect me to give away the store, do you?

Seriously... I'd say simply that it's a good product that works well, is reliable, and is backed up by good people. It's not the least expensive smoker on the market —but for our money it's the best value.

It's also valuable to know, when they tell you they're going to do something, they'll do it. They don't make promises they can't keep. They're totally committed to helping us make our business a success.

Now I have a question for you...How do you like those ribs?

So that was that. The BBQ U crew headed home with the knowledge that the secret behind the success of Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q is Southern Pride Smokers. Oh, okay, that isn't the only secret, but it IS a big part of their success.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/01/02 09:12:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bigd

Why would you repeatedly subject yourself to what you know is going to be a horrible experience?

I did not know that Southern Pride made microwaves.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/03/25 16:18:55 (permalink)
I have had very good luck with Sonny's in Orlando. I usually go to the one at 310 S. Alafaya Trail. Only about 20-30 minutes from International Drive. Tender meats, good beans and a nice selection of sauces.

They have a "dinner for four" (about $35.00) that we usually order. A good mix of meat and sides that could easily feed five people.

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/03/25 23:29:07 (permalink)
Sonny's is not bad. I specifically ask for center cut St.Louis ribs and ask that they not be dried out. No sauce. Almost every time, I'm happy. I've been to one in Charlotte, NC and one in Ft. Lauderdale and found them all to be pretty consistant. We have two here in Daytona Beach and both are not bad. Both have excellent service. I rate them equal to Dustins and both not nearly as good as Hog Heaven, which is a independent place in Ormond Beach that I've been to 5 times..Never had a bad meal.

What I really like about all these "Q" chains is their fast service. The wait staffs are always friendly and very cooperative. What I don't like about them is if there are a lot of screaming kids. It happens sometimes.

The "Q" chain I really don't like is Shorty's in South Florida. I'm in the minority though as they have several and they have been going strong for 20 plus years.
ces1948
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/03/25 23:47:17 (permalink)
Sonny's was one of my favorites for years but since there's not one close by I don't know if they would still qualify. Last year we took a trip to Fla and for one reason or another didn't stop at any of the Sonny's. One thing I do do know is my taste in BBQ has definitely changed, on the above mentioned trip we went to what I used to consider the best rib place in town Norris's famous place for ribs. I really didn't care for them nearly as much as I once did as they were way too saucy and had too much of the "fall off the bone" texture. We're probably headed to Fla again in April we will try Sonny's again.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/03/27 12:14:54 (permalink)
we just did a house party and used sonny's as our caterer. i agree that altho it is a chain their product is a teriffic value for your money. $10/pp and it came with 2 meat selections (24lbs total)3 sides and the cheesiest mac & chz I've ever eaten....plus 6 gals of ice tea and 3 lemonade. wow...and The plastic ware and salt & pepper to boot.
ces1948
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/04/28 18:46:00 (permalink)
We just got back from a trip to Florida and I made it a point to stop at Sonny's. We stopped at the one at exit 3 on I-95 in Kingsland, Ga on a Friday night. They had all you could eat St. Louis ribs with sides for $10.99, they described these ribs as sweet and smoky and they were delicious. They bring you about six of them to begin and they have a nice texture with a little chewiness. We had adequate sides of baked potato, slaw and corn on the cob and some good garlic toast. Service was quick and reorders on the ribs were also filled in a couple of minutes. We were pretty impressed and I was glad that one of my old favorites was still good to me.

A couple of days later we stopped for lunch at the location in Fort Pierce, Fl which is my old stomping grounds. We both had the sliced pork sandwich on garlic toast and I had fries and beans while my wife had fries and slaw. This meal while not as good as the ribs was still pretty tasty for about $6.50 a person plus drinks. They have about 6 sauces on the table of which my favorite was called "smokin" The meat is served sans sauce and you put on what you want. I probably would have felt a little better about this meal had I not gotten a huge sauce stain on the front of my new shirt.

On the way home Saturday we decided to stop again at the Kingsland, Ga location. The all you can rib special was over so I decided on the rib sampler which had about a half rack of babybacks and 6 or so St.Louis ribs with two sides and bread for around $13. I found the babybacks quite flavorful and actually enjoyed them a bit more than the St. Louis which is usually my favorite. I also have to mention the beans which I had again at this stop, although they may be a bit sweet for some I found them very good with many pieces of meat in them. The meat also had a nice smoky flavor with a visible smoke ring on the sliced pork.

We did enjoy our stops at Sonny's and it remains one of my favorite for BBQ, chain or local.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/07/22 22:01:50 (permalink)
Finally, back in Florida, and I got my Sonny's Ribs!
Macaroni and cheese, green beans, BBQ beans, and garlic bread.
Eh-on the green beans. I had never tried them before, and wont again.
But everything else was just as good as I remember from 3 years ago.

I could never find ribs in SC, except at Maurices, and they were awful. The ones I got in NC at Big Bob Gibsons weren't nothing to write home about, since they drowned them in their sauce.
I could only find 2 decent BBQ sandwiches close to me.

I am in pork heaven now.
St. Louis Style Ribs with sides
They come unsauced and I usually get the smoking sweet. But they have 4 sauces, I think, including a mustard based one.

Sliced pork
They also offer pulled and chopped pork....
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/07/23 07:45:17 (permalink)
roossy90, Alright another Sonny's fan. My favorite Roadfood spot in the Orlando Area.

I am in Orlando now. Before my flight today I will make a Sonny's stop.

Last night I stopped at Bodacious BBQ on Alafaya. I got the four meat dinner with three sides ($14.99). Not even worth taking a picture
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/07/23 07:58:04 (permalink)
IMO Sonny's beats a hell of a lot of the local legends that I've been to.
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/07/23 13:45:36 (permalink)
quote:

IMO Sonny's beats a hell of a lot of the local legends that I've been to.

Yep, sonny's may be a chain, but it does turn out good barbeque. If it's homogenized, then that's a price I'll pay for good 'cue.

And it's equallt true your local legend can be heaven or really bad. Theat's the thing about barbeque--it's either great or really bad, with not much in between.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1